Gas gun or bolt gun

Datslab

FNG
Looking at getting a new rifle for hunting. I have shot a lot of 300 win mag and always wanted one for the extra range if I ever needed it. I have used used an ar10 for years in grizzly country because I spend a lot of time in these areas I like to have more rounds in case I come face to face with a bear. I have been tempted at getting a 6.5 creedmoor gas gun also just because it would give more range and cut the wind better than my .308. Just curious on feedback as to what you guys think on the matter. If I should go with a bolt gun or another gas gun. I have also been real curious about the 6.5 prc but have no experience with one. The 7mm is another caliber that I am seriously considering.
I hunt all big game species and generally only take shots inside 300 yards but like I said have been wanting to get something that I could possibly use for longer range, even if it only was for paper.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I have always run bolt guns when hunting. I understand your reasoning for wanting a gas gun. If you're fine with carrying an AR-10 all day, good on you. If you are looking to split hairs and get a large caliber rifle but also want a gas gun, have you looked at the Noreen BN36XE or the Falkor Petra? They come with a price tag though.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
You could go with a semi-auto Browning so 300 win Mag with plenty of horsepower & fast follow up shots.

OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
Yeah I have looked at the falkor but not the noreen. I can’t imagine spending that much on a rifle, it gets bad enough getting a decent rifle and good glass. I did feel like I should’ve rewritten my post because I really am just having trouble deciding on what caliber I want to go with. The browning semi-auto has been on my wish list for years, so long that I had completely forgotten about them.

I have wanted a BAR forever but could never justify needing one over a budget bolt action that gets the job done.

I don’t know that grizzly territory really changes needing a semi auto vs a bolt action, but if you want it buy it! Nothing wrong with 6.5 CM but in your shoes I would get a 7RM/300WSM/300WM.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
You can't go wrong with any of the calibers @ramsdude47 listed, they're all proven big game harvesters. I am partial to .30 cals, particularly the 300WM.

I own a BAR. It’s a shorttrac version in 300wsm. Bought it used for cheap. Allegedly this era of bar were cheaper made. I can’t tell. I use 200grain eldx bullets. Groups as good as any x bolt, tikka, rem 700 or whatever bolt gun people bring over to shoot at my range. Holds up well in the weather too. No issues.

Attachments

• 82ED184C-5993-41C5-B408-3FC64312A52C.jpeg
    82ED184C-5993-41C5-B408-3FC64312A52C.jpeg
    768.4 KB · Views: 19