Gas Prices & DIY NR Hunters

Well with the increase in gas prices and the fact that I might have to go solo this year I am starting to second guess putting in for the GMU that I generally try to draw. Might just put in for a higher draw unit so I get a Pref Point and wait to see if I find someone to go along later and possibly just do OTC. Just budgeting the gas and without anyone to split the cost I am looking at at least $900.00 to $1000.00 just for gas. These new Gas prices are going to knock out a few hunters. Good news for the Co locals that hate the DIY NR's hunting but bad news for the DOW who may not get those huge NR license fee's this year.

I don’t think it’s going to affect as many as you think, or effect enough to make a noticeable difference in either the amount of hunters or bank account of the CPW. I do understand the amount it costs to get out especially a NR, but most bank this as their full on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think it’s going to affect as many as you think, or effect enough to make a noticeable difference in either the amount of hunters or bank account of the CPW. I do understand the amount it costs to get out especially a NR, but most bank this as their full on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. A doubling in gas prices won't affect me at all. Not only do I have 20 years of non-elk/md hunting to make up for, but I don't mind paying my share if it means putting the screws to Putin.

My question to you would be - Do you think your chances of success are greater in the unit you generally hunt or somewhere else closer that you could get OTC?

Tag cost is the same. All other costs besides gas the same. But if you don't come back with any meat, is it worth not spending the extra couple hundred bucks on gas?

Hate to break it to ya bud but your definitely not "putting the screws" to Putin by paying more at the pump.
And I'm sure you know this somehow. LOL Let me believe what I want and I'll do the same for you.

Regardless, another $100-200 in gas is nothing compared to what else I spend for 2 weeks of peace and quiet in the mountains.

Well with the increase in gas prices and the fact that I might have to go solo this year I am starting to second guess putting in for the GMU that I generally try to draw. Might just put in for a higher draw unit so I get a Pref Point and wait to see if I find someone to go along later and possibly just do OTC. Just budgeting the gas and without anyone to split the cost I am looking at at least $900.00 to $1000.00 just for gas. These new Gas prices are going to knock out a few hunters. Good news for the Co locals that hate the DIY NR's hunting but bad news for the DOW who may not get those huge NR license fee's this year.
What were the gas costs before? Assuming national average around $4.10 vs previous of say even a full $1 lower. So your total cost is about $250 more than it was before. I doubt gas prices will influence hunting much if at all. We adapt to things so quickly that even if gas is $7 a gallon in September that'll be "the new norm".

Speaking as a NR looking to do their first elk, I can see folks in a similar situation as mine opt out for next year hoping the prices will go down. Could also be spun as an incentive though with less people/pressure.

WKR

WKR
If I draw a tag in NM or NV there isn't much that will stop me from making the trip. Gas prices be damned.

Simon1523

FNG
I don’t think gas prices will make a difference to many people