G’day from Australia..The land down under

ZioRob

FNG
Hi everybody...I’ve been a long time listener to the Rokcast podcast and thought I’d just onto the forum and see what it’s all about..

I’m from Victoria, Australia, the home of the majestic and elusive Sambar deer. Any questions about Australia please don’t hesitate to ask (y)

Photo of a mature Sambar Stag (not my photo)

Attachments

• 81322984-CE01-431A-8272-C3C4DD4BFF41.jpeg
    81322984-CE01-431A-8272-C3C4DD4BFF41.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 23
OP
ZioRob

ZioRob

FNG
Well
View attachment 153591Yes, welcome. I have actually been to Victoria and shot a free range Sambar! They are neat animals. I would love to hunt the rest of the country someday.

Cheers

Well done mate, i don't think the Sambar get enough credit from overseas hunters..everybody assumes all Australia is good for is Water Buffalo, Scrub Bulls and Feral Pigs

OP
ZioRob

ZioRob

FNG
Welcome. I love hearing opinions from those in other countries as their perspective can be different than ours in the US. Very refreshing!

Thanks, you are absolutely correct especially when i comes to hunting clothing i find an enormous difference between US tough wearing and Australian tough wearing. Our deer country is covered with Blackberry bushes and i haven't yet found a pair or First Lite, Sitka or Kuiu pants that can survive it. Having said that i do love the stuff!

OP
ZioRob

ZioRob

FNG
Welcome!

What the hell is that beast in your avatar? It looks like the Mr. Olympia of goats!

That is a VERY old Sambar stag who's antlers have regressed and become melformed..i have been chasing this deer for a few years and only seen him once on an adjoining property, he has a MASSIVE body..second photo is what they look like normally..third largest deer species behind only Moose and Elk.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 6.22.00 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 6.22.00 pm.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 4
  • sam.jpg
    sam.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 4