Gear Check...

Jdog

WKR
we all know what this means...check the list, go over it 1,001 times...etc!
IMG_2665.jpg

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
My gear is packed and ready to go....August 10 - 26, mule deer in two states. Good luck to all.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup....and recheck....and recheck....and recheck :) Spent most of the morning weighing and reweighing our gear, as we have a 50lb weight limit per person (doesn't count rifles). 18 days worth of food weighed in around 43 lbs, so that leaves 57lbs for all the rest of what we need for both of us :) Picking Luke up at the airport tomorrow and driving 7 hours to where we will fly out Thursday morning! Looking very much forward to chasing sheep, but will be glad when the plane takes off and I can stop worrying about getting ready.

Thinking we have it at least close on the weight limit, though I will bring the luggage scale for more fine tuning in the hotel tomorrow night :)

Some of my gear flew out today but I am not going with it! At least my SL3 and bear fence should be sitting in the sheep hills at this exact moment. I just wish I was laying there in it listening to that monotonous ticking while trying to clear the ram images from my minds eye so I could drift off to sleep!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good luck and have fun Becca and Luke... Take lots of pics...

Thanks Buck.....believe it or not we are taking two different cameras and a go pro as part of our non-food 53 pounds (when I left a week ago our food weighed in at 47 pound so not sure what Becca cut out, guess I'll find out the hard way :D ) so there should be pics aplenty. Just hope we can find Becca a nice ram as this is her tag she drew for one of the trophy managment areas for dall sheep here in Alaska and will likely never draw again as the draw odds are less than 1%. Our mega tarp just came in the mail yesterday so we'll be putting that to use this trip. Just made it with less than 24 hours to spare....nothing like swapping things up at the last minute. It'll be our bivy shelter as we don't have time to seam seal and what not, but still be good to get some field time in it and it'll be a palace to spend an unexpected night away from camp in.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone, and best of luck to you JDog! To say I am excited would be an understatement, seems like I have been waiting and planning for today forever, and now it's time to finally get going! We will be taking lots of pictures and video, so we look forward to sharing the trip with everybody when we get back!

Luke, all the food is still going, but it is now in the clothes we will be wearing on the plane...if you get hungry in flight, there are approximately 36 snickers bars crammed into your pockets so feel free ;)

BuckSnort

WKR
Good luck JDog, planning and prepping is part of the fun...

Luke, don't worry you're packs will be on their planned weight once Becca sneaks a bottle or two of fine wine into yours....

Bighorse

WKR
I'm in the second wave of Alaskan Sheep hunters. My daughter and I will be going into another Trophy unit in the Chugach mountains with CtP who also has this hard to get tag. I've had the opportunity to hunt Mt. Goat successfully already and will take Lily, my daughter, up for Sitka Deer this weekend. The idea is that all my gear will get a good work over before we hit the sheep mountains. We've also hired a Cub pilot and should be accessing the more remote areas of the permit region. With three people going in, and one of us not hunting and another being a child we should have wiggle room on our weight allowance.
It's exciting times around my place as we get amped up for this epic hunt. My daughter wants the new world record. Funny girl!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Made it to Tok early evening last night, and got all the gear weighed out. Last tally was 98lbs, so hopefully our scale was on or theirs errs in our favor! Enjoying a final breakfast now before we fly out later this morning!

On our drive last night, hope this weather holds...
7fa45e52.jpg

The final gear pile
e2ba7ef2.jpg

Best of luck JDog and everyone else chasing sheep this season!

Weather in the Alaska Range looked good from my house today. Should some be sheep dying up there tomorrow.

I'm on the "second wave" also. Just talked to the pilot last night to finalize plans. List is made up, and packing will start shortly. I even added a spork to it for this trip. I'm getting really good at whittling spoons out of willow bushes, but it would sure save some time if I just remembered the dang thing for once!

Yk

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
gonna be a tough decision....both packs are great.

The Icon 7000 is pretty slick...lots of unique pockets/design...

The DT1 is bombproof and the material is thicker and feels much more durable...Plus Kifaru is proven, over and over and over...