Gear Choices for Idaho Hunt

OP
G

Gary4248

FNG
Plan on saving at least a pound with a bivy. Often more than that. My bivy setup weighs just over 1lb with a tarp and cord if weatherproofing is needed more than what is offered with the bivy alone. As Sneaky stated though, the spare wiggle room in a bivy does not exist. If you feel confined with a mummy bag, then compound that with a bivy. Comfort loss over weight savings for some. Probably why you don't see many bivy users roaming around. I honestly don't use one all the time unless is going to be a long trek and I want to haul in extra snacks.
Never used a bivy hunting, but did in the Marine Corps. That bivy was about 3/4 to a pound. Super light. Was just fine in everything but the rain. But a small tarp or even rain jacket will save your face there.

OP
G

Gary4248

FNG
@Gary4248 your unit choices make this a very difficult question to answer.

Units like 22 there's not a single place that requires packing in vs camping at your truck. Units like 48 are the complete opposite, and that's just 2 examples.

If you're backpacking, adjust unit choices accordingly. If you're set on some of those units, adjust gear choices accordingly. Early September car camping, a walmart coleman tent is fine and waaaay easier on the budget.
So ideally we’ll get the Sawtooth national park in 36. Just got my buddy to commit to that. Otherwise we’d be looking for northwestern 22, Lemhi range in 58, or Challis national forest in 50 (near like fall creek and moose lake).

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Let me know if you go to 58. I might be able to point you in the right direction.

brn2hnt

WKR
So ideally we’ll get the Sawtooth national park in 36. Just got my buddy to commit to that. Otherwise we’d be looking for northwestern 22, Lemhi range in 58, or Challis national forest in 50 (near like fall creek and moose lake).
Man, even those are all over the map. (not to mention that Sawtooth and Pioneer A tags sell out in a hot minute)

I would really focus just on boots until I knew what tag I had. Not like it puts you in a big time crunch as you still have 10 months after getting the tag to get what you think you're gonna need. But really the only universal gear will be boots, calls, and game bags. Pretty much everything else will depend on whether or not you NNED to pack in for multiple days.

Wild_Aber

FNG
There are a few things I would really recommend. Wool socks and merino wool bases. You cannot go wrong and you will be happy in a wide variety of weather conditions. I have been very happy with the Kuiu base merino.
I hike allot for elk so boots do matter. I have always loved my military boots and buy a new pair every 3-5 years. The company is Belleville and they are made in the USA. I get the Sabres. You can find them on eBay and Amazon some times.
Kuiu has a fantastic pack system as well Kifaru but for me those are very expensive and better for someone who is going to spend a week in the back country. Alps outdoors is a good budget back for a day pack and I really do love Badlands packs and Mystery Ranch packs are very comfortable. Really matters what capacity you need.
As far as camo goes I really like badlands and kuiu because of their warranty but am partial to kryptek and first lite because they are based in idaho. I just don't believe its worth while to dump too much on camo and I would shop the sales.
Rockey mountain hunting calls makes some great reeds but Will Primos was the first so I would use Primos as well.

Last edited:

mtnlomo

FNG
Having hunted quite a few of the units you mentioned, don’t backpack in to one place right out of the gate. The elk can get pushed around. Hunt out of a base camp until you find where they are then if you feel like it backpack in.
Hiking in the dark a few miles each day is worth it to me. Having real food and a more comfortable bed is absolutely worth the trade off.

As far as gear goes, everyone else has been on the money, priorities should be boots, pack, and then sleeping gear, then optics, and then clothing. Many of the non-hunting outdoor brands like Columbia and Eddie Bauer have deals all the time for quality gear. I wear Eddie Bauer and Columbia pants for work (I’m pretty active at work) every day and love them.

I echo the comments and priorities for gear made by the majority. One thing I'll add as you look to the out years, is to look more toward the technical clothing (Sika, Pnuma, Badlands, etc).

For me, after nearly 40+ years of using everything from cheap Walmart stuff to military surplus, I finally bit the bullet a few years ago and got into the tech gear. Wish now I had made that move long ago. Yes, it's definitely more expensive at the outset but the benefits are well worth the cost.

And as others have mentioned, you can always find bits and pieces of great tech gear here on Rokslide, CamoFire, Black Ovis, Expert Voice, and other sites. Just make of list of needs/wants, keep your eyes open and act fast when you see a deal.

In reach mini
Boot gaiters
Good base layers as many as you can afford so you can swap em out while at the truck
On X and download as many 5 mile maps as you can of your potential area so you can avoid wishing you would have.
You will need a battery pack for recharging phone in reach watch etc.
Bring good ways to cary water.
Take some wilderness athlete hydrate/recover works pretty well
And dont forget wet wipes I like sea to summit wipes the dont leave lent in your beard.
Good headlamps and batteries

Lots of good information in the reply’s you got. I really like the info from RetiredMarine a couple of posts above. I think boots and pack are priority #1 like other have said but after that the technical clothing can make a big difference if your comfort level. More comfortable = less distractions and one less reason to head home early. I’ve only ever filled one tag on opening day so being able to settle in and grind for a few days is key to success.

Grant K

FNG
Having hunted quite a few of the units you mentioned, don’t backpack in to one place right out of the gate. The elk can get pushed around. Hunt out of a base camp until you find where they are then if you feel like it backpack in.
Hiking in the dark a few miles each day is worth it to me. Having real food and a more comfortable bed is absolutely worth the trade off.

As far as gear goes, everyone else has been on the money, priorities should be boots, pack, and then sleeping gear, then optics, and then clothing. Many of the non-hunting outdoor brands like Columbia and Eddie Bauer have deals all the time for quality gear. I wear Eddie Bauer and Columbia pants for work (I’m pretty active at work) every day and love them.
I feel like this should be said every time someone gets excited about backpacking in... I've been on a lot of elk hunts, like 30+ at this point, quite a few of them in areas you mentioned...plus several years of guiding 30-40 days a year... the number of times I've really used backpacking as the best option has been maybe 5 nights, camp at the truck and be mobile, if you find elk and the most practical approach is to backpack in to kill them, by all means, do that, but by and large by limiting yourself to a small area you are limiting your success, as well, if you are camping at the truck you can use heavier camping gear and use your budget for other stuff that makes a much bigger difference in your ability to kill elk... I'd put my money in optics, pack and boots, then good outerwear, and last of all high end backpacking gear...

We're also looking at Idaho in 22 and this has been a great thread. Just want to say thanks to everyone who chimed in, this is completely different country than I've ever hunted and the info is much appreciated!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Next year will be my first back country Idaho elk hunt (or elk hunt in general). I’m looking for some gear recommendations.
I’ll have about a $1,200 budget for gear/camo.

Right now I’m looking for recommendations on buying more backpacking gear, or if I should invest more in camo. Currently looking to buy a good pack with frame, boots, some quality calls and game bags.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Check this. I go through an entire gear list, prioritizing everything from my point of view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me know if you go to 58. I might be able to point you in the right direction.
Hey UTJL,

I’m taking my old man and brother out to unit 58 for a mule deer hunt here in a couple of weeks. This is a completely knew area for us. Would love to pick your brain a little bit on the area. I would have pm’d you but I’m knew to the forum and it won’t let me. I can shoot you my email if that would work better. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Would love to get my old man on a buck out there.

best regards,

Dakota

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Hey UTJL,

I’m taking my old man and brother out to unit 58 for a mule deer hunt here in a couple of weeks. This is a completely knew area for us. Would love to pick your brain a little bit on the area. I would have pm’d you but I’m knew to the forum and it won’t let me. I can shoot you my email if that would work better. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Would love to get my old man on a buck out there.

best regards,

Dakota

I wish I could help but I only saw two does while elk hunting. Also the hunting pressure was fairly uniform across the unit. I’d suggest finding a place no one else wants to hike into because of the difficulty.

Fullfan

WKR
One thing no one has mentioned. Bring a flat spot. Because Idaho have very few. Just returned from 17 days in the Salmon zone archery hunting. You better be in great physical shape. Idaho will wear you out, mentally, physically and emotionally….

I wish I could help but I only saw two does while elk hunting. Also the hunting pressure was fairly uniform across the unit. I’d suggest finding a place no one else wants to hike into because of the difficulty.
Appreciate the feedback. What side of 28 were you hunting?