Gear Choices for Idaho Hunt

Gary4248

FNG
Next year will be my first back country Idaho elk hunt (or elk hunt in general). I’m looking for some gear recommendations.
I’ll have about a $1,200 budget for gear/camo.

Right now I’m looking for recommendations on buying more backpacking gear, or if I should invest more in camo. Currently looking to buy a good pack with frame, boots, some quality calls and game bags.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
Knowing what you have already would be helpful. Time of year is also important.

For earlier in the season all you really need is this:

3 season Shelter
Insulated Pad - r value around 4
20 degree Bag

Boots
Two pairs of socks
Light base layer top and bottom
Light hiking pants
Fleece hoodie
Puffy jacket
Rain gear
Light gloves and beanie

Cook system
Water filter system
Knife
Game bags
Parachord

First aid/hygiene kit

Pack
Optics

Cold weather makes things a little more complicated. Basically you need more clothes and possibly a hot tent with a stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gary4248

FNG
I’m looking to get a new pack. Current one won’t work.

I’ll be archery hunting in early to mid September.

I can get an older backpacking tent (a little heavier like 7 pounds), have a 20 degree bag, thermorest mattress pad, multiple backpacking stoves, cooking gear, paracord, gutting/boning knife set, and good base layers.

I appreciate the help @fatlander and will add your items to the list.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with a 0 degree bag. I have spent lots of nights in the Idaho backcountry in September.
I use kings Camo XKG ridge pants, down coat and hoody, rain gear if the forecast says it can be wet. I use a six moon designs single man tent.

Beendare

WKR
Getting your camp down to a reasonable wait just makes things easier. I would spend your money on the basics; sleeping bag pad and tent. My tent,pad, bag and stove/pot/fuel is 7.5#. My Exo pack is 6# 4oz.

Camo clothes are probably your least effective purchase.... animals see movement and shiny stuff. A camo midweight jacket and a couple LS T shirts is all you really need.

OP
G

Gary4248

FNG
Top eleven (not sure what I’ll be able to get so I’m staying flexible since in nonres) are:

66A, 22, 30A, 48, 29, 32A, 58, 30, 36A, 37, and 50.

I would love to get a good sized bull, but it after 4 days I’m not having much luck I’ll probably take anything I can get. Looking more for success the first go around versus size.
@Beendare what size exo pack are you using? And how did it hold up packing out?

Craw3773

FNG
If I was going to splurge, I would do it on boots first, and a pack second. Everything else can be upgraded as you go

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
If I was going to splurge, I would do it on boots first, and a pack second. Everything else can be upgraded as you go
Absolutely what I was going to say, bad boots and hurt, blistered feet or worse a rolled ankle can ruin a hunt, and solid pack will make success much more pleasurable. That said you should be able to get a really good boot that fits your foot well for $300ish and and the same for a solid pack, oblivious it can go up from there. For camo you could wait for sales and deals but a good wool base layer and a durable versatile outer wear set.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

What do you mean by top 11? Are you basing that on killing statistics? I have not been to much of those areas but will say it's often very steep and open mountain country.

Depending on budget and what you've got for gear as of now, you might benefit from hunting up north. No need for expensive optics or really having to spike out. Depending on the unit, you can just truck camp and move around from spot to spot more easily.

I say this having no experience in the units you listed, but up here you can mark multiple areas and jump around easily, and there's often enough logging roads you don't need to really spike out. You can drop down into the timber and drainages, hunt, and hike out at dark usually 2-3 miles from camp.

I'd focus on good boots, some quality rain gear, at least the jacket and good gaiters, and the mornings and nights can get really cold even in september so plan for that.

Unit 1 is very, very big and has a huge amount of elk, but they're very hard to find because of the timber.

OP
G

Gary4248

FNG
What are you guys wearing for boots? I prefer something that goes almost up to mid calf.

What are you guys wearing for boots? I prefer something that goes almost up to mid calf.
On a budget if you need 1-2 seasons out of them fairly cheap? Danner/Rocky boots. I had good luck with cheap Rocky boots from Cabelas, but after 2 seasons they were toast.

Most people in Idaho who splurge, have Kenetreks IME. Depending on the unit, you can do A LOT of hiking in a day so consider that. The units in central/southern Idaho are steep, boots with good stiff support would be recommended. Up North it's not as bad because you're moving slower in the timber.

Craw3773

FNG
300- used MR selway
250- lowa renegade gtx
100- merino base
50- 2 pair of darn tough socks

You have 500 left to play with. Ultimately, you need to make sure the boots and pack are good for your body type, and you're gonna need to shop for some deals.

If you just go to first lite or sitkas website, your 1200 will go quickly. Watch camofire, blackovis, the gear deals, and classified here, and anywhere else you can find.

OP
G

Gary4248

FNG
Top 11 is because tags are first come first serve after December 1. Not sure what I’ll be able to grab since I’m sure a few people will be trying to purchase once able.

The units are based off of kill statistics (percentage of success by hunters) and some words from friends hunting the units prior.

Ill definitely keep all that in mind.

OP
G

Gary4248

FNG
On a budget if you need 1-2 seasons out of them fairly cheap? Danner/Rocky boots. I had good luck with cheap Rocky boots from Cabelas, but after 2 seasons they were toast.

Most people in Idaho who splurge, have Kenetreks IME. Depending on the unit, you can do A LOT of hiking in a day so consider that. The units in central/southern Idaho are steep, boots with good stiff support would be recommended. Up North it's not as bad because you're moving slower in the timber.
I’ll look into kenetreks. I’m looking for a good pair of boots and am not afraid to spend $400 on them. I know they can make or break the trip.

Rob5589

WKR
Boots are top of the list, and very personal. Will probably take a few to find what fits your foot.

A quality comfortable pack comes next followed by a sleep system. Search the gear section, tons of info there.

Idaho tags are exactly first come first served any longer. You log on and are given a random number when you are able to log in and purchase. So more of a random draw, if you will. Not a huge issue unless your hunting partners can't get the same tag, which seemed to happen a lot last December. Just something to be aware of.

87TT

WKR
Get an EXO pack. Used if you can. K2 3500 or K3 3200. Unless you are going to backpack way in, which I wouldn't unless you know for sure where you are going has elk. Some want bigger packs but with a little planning, you can get several days worth of stuff. It is too easy to take more stuff that isn't needed with a bigger pack. If you get lucky and the stars align you will be glad you had a good pack and not so much stuff to pack out.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are not going until 2022, you can probably get some screaming deals this fall/winter after folks get back from their hunts and liquidate their stuff

A quality comfortable pack comes next followed by a sleep system. Search the gear section, tons of info there.

Is it though? Being realistic, it's based off of budget and how much you intend to use it in my opinion. If you're spiking out or hauling meat 4+ miles I would agree with you.

If money is tight and you're camping at the truck and only packing a few miles, you can get away with less. I personally use very small daypacks and up until just recently pack frames for the haul out.

I'm not trying to disagree with your point though or say you're wrong. I am only stating there's no reason to spend a large chunk of your budget on a pack if it's not needed and was trying to point that out.