Gear cost too much

yojo.3

FNG
Probably just a rant. Maybe looking for advice or tips on something else to save a little money. Im sitting here staring at my amazon cart. Ive only got a few things in there and its already 200 bucks! Im trying to upgrade a few things from stuff that I already have to plan for my first out of state backpack style hunting trip. Ive got a klymit sleeping pad to cut down on weight and size from my current pad. Which is one of those cabelas standard sleeping pads which weighs almost 5 pounds and packs down to a 6x30". A havalon hydra knife so i dont have to carry an old buck knife and a sharpener and a saw. I know a saw isnt necessary but we end up using a saw everynow and then to get through the sternum. so i think ill be cutting some weight there. Need some kind of water filter so looking at a steripen classic. I have a sawyer mini already. But thinking of getting another just as an extra backup. Or should i remove that one? A nalgene would be a nice thing to have for collecting water and the steripen it and put into a bladder or resevoir. I know these might not be the cheapest items but they are items that i believe would last me for hopefully many years. And i do like the buy it for life mentality.

The katadyn mini hiker would be another good filter to consider, gear is expensive I only buy a few things a year but over time it all accumulates and you will have everything you need eventually.

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Probably just a rant. Maybe looking for advice or tips on something else to save a little money. Im sitting here staring at my amazon cart. Ive only got a few things in there and its already 200 bucks! Im trying to upgrade a few things from stuff that I already have to plan for my first out of state backpack style hunting trip. Ive got a klymit sleeping pad to cut down on weight and size from my current pad. Which is one of those cabelas standard sleeping pads which weighs almost 5 pounds and packs down to a 6x30". A havalon hydra knife so i dont have to carry an old buck knife and a sharpener and a saw. I know a saw isnt necessary but we end up using a saw everynow and then to get through the sternum. so i think ill be cutting some weight there. Need some kind of water filter so looking at a steripen classic. I have a sawyer mini already. But thinking of getting another just as an extra backup. Or should i remove that one? A nalgene would be a nice thing to have for collecting water and the steripen it and put into a bladder or resevoir. I know these might not be the cheapest items but they are items that i believe would last me for hopefully many years. And i do like the buy it for life mentality.
Get the Katidin Befree, its really light and its a filter and a lightweight bottle in one. There are also the vapur bottles on amazon that are really light and cheap. The vapur bottles dont have filters but the befree does.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
When I started putting together my gear I started cheap, used, and borrowed (thank you Justin Crossley). As time has progressed, much to the dismay of my wife, I have continued to upgrade my gear for better quality and lighter items, but I have also continued to purchase used items in good shape which has saved me a ton of money so far.

Rob5589

WKR
Less weight = more expensive in general. Klymit has been blowing out different items recently for significant savings. Something to check out.

If you’re starting from the ground up and don’t have a couple thousand bucks you need to stick to necessities. Don’t even try to buy for life the first year. There are clothes and gear that will get the job done without going high end. There’s no question that high end stuff is lighter, more efficient, and will keep you more comfortable. That stuff will come with time. Right now knowledge and experience are worth more. Also right now I’m betting you’ll make changes and adjustments to your style of hunting. That will make a difference in what you need to buy. Get a hunt under your belt and go from there. I don’t think I have a single thing left that I took on my first elk hunt! But that was a long time ago. Good luck!

Good topic! I hate that one seemingly needs to have thousands of dollars of gear on your person to hunt. I focus on the most important items for upgrades (best pack, boots, and here in the PNW rain shells). Optics especially in open country too, but I focus on being out there and comfortable first.

I'd run the filter you have and bring tablets for backup (to save a trip if it fails for some reason). Nalgene is a solid investment as they last forever, but I prefer running a bladder (carry an extra bladder bag for backup and extra water storage).

I'm still using a too-heavy Thermarest pad so can't help you much there...

I've got lots of solid budget options in my kit so let me know if you need help on any other items.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
I
When I started putting together my gear I started cheap, used, and borrowed (thank you Justin Crossley). As time has progressed, much to the dismay of my wife, I have continued to upgrade my gear for better quality and lighter items, but I have also continued to purchase used items in good shape which has saved me a ton of money so far.
Ive got a good amount of stuff. But alot of it is on the cheaper and of course heavier side and im just trying to upgrade now on stuff that would make my pack lighter and not so bulky. Dont normally need this stuff because around here its mainly white tail every year and muley every few. Elk is a very rare occurrence here in SoDak. But i want to start doing out of state hunts so at least ill get more use out of them in the coming years. And none of my friends hunt soits up to me to get my own stuff.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
If you’re starting from the ground up and don’t have a couple thousand bucks you need to stick to necessities. Don’t even try to buy for life the first year. There are clothes and gear that will get the job done without going high end. There’s no question that high end stuff is lighter, more efficient, and will keep you more comfortable. That stuff will come with time. Right now knowledge and experience are worth more. Also right now I’m betting you’ll make changes and adjustments to your style of hunting. That will make a difference in what you need to buy. Get a hunt under your belt and go from there. I don’t think I have a single thing left that I took on my first elk hunt! But that was a long time ago. Good luck!
Been hunting for quite a while. But its almost all just whitetail and muleys every now and then. My whitetail clothing would be the same for a backcountry hunt. We dont hunt from any stands or blinds other than for bow season. Got a good rifle and optics. Its just alot of the smaller stuff that we dont ever need when hunting around here. These are just the few things that i would need for my hunt and are relatively cheap.

At a certain point the cost per ounce of lightening up goes much higher... either that or losing function. I go through my pack every year and decide if I need each item and/or how I could replace it. I've actually been trying to lose bulk more so than weight. One thing to consider is packing creatively to make your pack ride better - I've been able to do this at times and make the weight seem easier to carry. Keeping more weight tight to your back and higher IMO.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
I'd run the filter you have and bring tablets for backup (to save a trip if it fails for some reason). Nalgene is a solid investment as they last forever, but I prefer running a bladder (carry an extra bladder bag for backup and extra water storage).

My trip is going to be my dad and i. So 1 sawyer micro probably wouldnt be the easiest for water filtration. Thats why im thinking of getting the steripen. Do a liter at a time and then pour it into a bladder or maybe even a collapsible water container to have at camp. Im already pushing the old man out of his comfort zone. So what if he has to drink a little gritty water or pour some not so clear stuff into his mountain house. Just not so sure if i would need the extra sawyer. Just to help give him piece of mind. Had aquatabs in my cart. But they're out of stock. Damn coronavirus.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
Right now knowledge and experience are worth more.

This becomes more (not less) true with time. Using cheaper/heavier gear isn't a deal breaker when you aren't packing fears and ignorance. Knowledge weighs nothing and can substitute for a lot of the crap people pack.

Packing less also means that more dollars are freed up to spend on the things you do pack.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
Less weight = more expensive in general. Klymit has been blowing out different items recently for significant savings. Something to check out.
Yeah i can see klymit looks like they got stuff you can find on the cheap and doesnt look bad on the reviews. My local dunhams wont price match amazon so theyre 20 bucks higher. But scheels 3 hours away will :/ and i think ill have a gift card coming from them soon. Not much but 25 bucks is 25 bucks.

Usually sometime in the Spring, my local Costco will have a Klymit booth with a healthy discount on the gear from the normal price - just something to watch out for.

I've seen somewhere online where someone has rigged up a Sawyer Mini as a gravity filter using a couple of Platypus bags or something like that - might be worth it for a couple of guys. My dad and I each carry our own filter for redundancy and speed at the watering holes.