Gear cost too much

Tell me exactly what you plan to do. Elk hunting? Are you planning on backpacking because you want to or because you think you need to? Bow, gun.. both? Do you see yourself as more of a still hunter in the timber or glassing in semi open country? Do you think you’ll have a partner in the future?

Those things will all have a bearing on your gear list.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
worst part of it is that as im planning this trip trying to widdle down what we need vs what is luxury. my dads saying that maybe we should bring a sled so that we can haul stuff in easier. he wants to bring his cot with along with what seems like enough water for the whole trip. if he had his way we'd be bringing a grill, a full cooler and camping by the truck.

You need to have a plan where you’re not going to run your dad into the ground. And since it’s your first hunt of this type I think you should do yourself a favor too and have a fairly conservative plan. Truck camp! If you don’t mind driving further than where your current plan is I know a spot where you can drive a good road to a high elevation and camp at the truck. Without any major climbing you can be on a ridge with some good glassing. I’ve seen more than my share of bear tracks there too. Just be sure to plan your dates properly. Spring in Wyoming high country is later than lots of people think.

You might consider a hybrid trip - comfy camp near the truck/road and spike out a couple nights. A long backpack trip is tough for your first backpack trip. Excess weight is a recipe to not go the distance - been there done that and ended up without enough energy to hunt effectively after packing in.

colersu22

WKR
Yeah i can see klymit looks like they got stuff you can find on the cheap and doesnt look bad on the reviews. My local dunhams wont price match amazon so theyre 20 bucks higher. But scheels 3 hours away will :/ and i think ill have a gift card coming from them soon. Not much but 25 bucks is 25 bucks.

3 hours away I gladly pay the $25

as far as the pad goes Ihad no complaints from the insulated klymit pad I used for a couple years and it is still in the closet for a backup.

another option for the filter would be the sawyer squeeze, you can filter more water faster than the mini and you can use all the existing bags from the mini you currently have and carry aqua tabs for a backup.

I have used the outdoor edge replaceable blade knife which is not as light as the Havalon but I have had better luck with the blades not popping off or breaking va my buddies Havalon.

You might consider a hybrid trip - comfy camp near the truck/road and spike out a couple nights. A long backpack trip is tough for your first backpack trip. Excess weight is a recipe to not go the distance - been there done that and ended up without enough energy to hunt effectively after packing in.
Ding ding! Words of wisdom. I’ve been there too. You get to “paradise” and you’re out of gas. No comforts to replenish your body. Not enough sleep. Lucky to give a half hearted effort to hunt. Instead dig in at the truck and venture out from there. If you find sign and it’s far enough from base camp to make it worth spiking out then you can consider it once you have a plan and some knowledge of your area.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
You need to have a plan where you’re not going to run your dad into the ground. And since it’s your first hunt of this type I think you should do yourself a favor too and have a fairly conservative plan. Truck camp! If you don’t mind driving further than where your current plan is I know a spot where you can drive a good road to a high elevation and camp at the truck. Without any major climbing you can be on a ridge with some good glassing. I’ve seen more than my share of bear tracks there too. Just be sure to plan your dates properly. Spring in Wyoming high country is later than lots of people think.
fortunately i dont really have to worry too much about running him too hard. last fall he had 3 elk hunts. granted 2 of them were guided. so he was training very regularly. with running and with hill training with a pack. and hes kept up with his cardio. were also both long distance runners, so we both have an endurance and that does help. an area im looking at is a few miles from a trail head. so my thought is get out to where we dont have to hike in unfamiliar territory and try to find a glassing point in the dark.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
My backup water filtration are aquamira tablets. They weigh/cost almost nothing.
just talked to the old man and he says hes got about a dozen in his pack yet so those are our back ups

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
The katadyn mini hiker would be another good filter to consider, gear is expensive I only buy a few things a year but over time it all accumulates and you will have everything you need eventually.
how often do you need to clean the filter or change it? several years back we were on a hunt with another guy and using his msr miniworks. even in what looked like a crystal clear spring we were still having to clean the ceramic due to flow loss.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
3 hours away I gladly pay the $25

im hoping i get to that town when the sister in law has her baby. then have scheels price match amazon to 50 bucks and hope my gift card is here by then and that knocks it down to $25 for a new pad. have you tried that klymit x pillow. i saw dunhams had one today. i didnt realize how small that packed down. might be a good gift for dads birthday before the trip if its any good.

colersu22

WKR
im hoping i get to that town when the sister in law has her baby. then have scheels price match amazon to 50 bucks and hope my gift card is here by then and that knocks it down to $25 for a new pad. have you tried that klymit x pillow. i saw dunhams had one today. i didnt realize how small that packed down. might be a good gift for dads birthday before the trip if its any good.
I have not tried the pillow, I always have used my first lite puffy since it’s a good shape one you stuff it in it’s pocket/stuff sack.

sneaky

"DADDY"
how often do you need to clean the filter or change it? several years back we were on a hunt with another guy and using his msr miniworks. even in what looked like a crystal clear spring we were still having to clean the ceramic due to flow loss.
Yeah, but that ceramic filter doesn't become useless in freezing weather and doesn't require batteries like a steripen. No way would I force my dad to drink gritty water on a trip he's already wanting to haul water in for anyways. As long as you don't let them freeze those hollow tube filters like the Sawyer work pretty well. In freezing weather they're about useless without proper care.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ditch the saw, and don't buy the havalon right now. You can go gutless on whatever you kill. Keep the old buck knife. That's not the place to be saving weight until your system is REALLY dialed in. I can't help too much with the sleeping pad except to recommend checking out camofire/black ovis/ steep and cheap overstock sites for a better deal.

Wolf13

FNG
This is coming from an "ultralight" hiker mindset, so you get what you paid for:

Skip the nalgene. They are heavy and you don't need something that sturdy. Use two smart water bottles of whichever size you want.

The Sayer mini does not do justice to what the full can do. The full plus the two smart water bottles and you can get plenty of filtered water.

Kayden befree can and does work well, bit you need to stay up on "cleaning" it. Even if it doesn't seem like it filtered make sure you clean often by shaking it in cold water.

Sleeping pads are very personal AND weather dependent. I use the Nemo switchback, but also have a much higher R rated pad should the weather call for it. Don't be afraid to try a foam pad, they are surprisingly comfortable and a lot cheaper.
----------
Regarding buy once cry once... Very hard to do on this type of stuff. As you get into the wilderness and start spending days out there you figure out what works for you, what doesn't, and what you're willing to give up either in weight or comfort. Trying to buy everything at once is going to be very expensive and result in multiple high expenses purchases. IMO focus on your sleep system: shelter, bag, pad. Look on hiking forums for used gear, and you'll see what I mean about people switching things up constantly and you'll find good deals.

JMDavies

WKR
Gear is getting out of hand with the pricing. Rokslide classifieds, Camofire and most gear companies have an outlet page on their website.