Gear essentials for a newbie

406unltd

WKR
Is there anything that we should be looking for in a pack. As whitetail hunters we dont typically use the same kind.
With what I said before in mind about getting the best you can afford, I’d personally stick with a few select brands because they are without a doubt better than cheaper brands. Exo, stone glacier, and kifaru are in a lot of people’s minds the best available options for hauling a lot of weight as comfortably as possible. There’s a few other players like initial ascent and others that seem to put together good stuff. I run a kifaru setup and I have not looked back. For a few years I ran an Eberlestock pack and hauled out a few elk with it and it did ok. But once I used my kifaru it was clear and obvious that it’s superior. If it was me buying a pack I’d pick from those three I mentioned up top but I’m personally a kifaru guy. Packs are like boots though and what works for me might not work for you. I hope that helped. The typical whitetail pack is more like a regular backpack, and what you are looking for is a internal or external frame pack that is meant to haul weight. Properly fitted it will have functional load lifters that allow weight distribution changes on the fly from shoulder harness to hips so you can switch back and forth on longer packouts. With all that said you can always get awesome boots and then hit rokslide classifieds for a used pack. Or goodwill/pawnshops or whatever have external framed mountaineering packs for cheap too. Good luck

Sled

WKR
I’ve got a pair of salomon 4d gtx that I really like for tough hikes, but they aren’t insulated and just didn’t know if it would be beneficial to invest in another pair or invest in socks (which are obviously cheaper)

I use the same boot in archery season but they aren't for cold or very wet weather.

Crispi Nevada might suit you well. Similar fit but slightly less heel hold for my narrow heel. The Crispi Colorado fits the same as the Salomon for me. It kind of duplicates the boot though. Try the Nevada first.

And yes, boots end more hunts early than wet weather.

RobertsA

FNG
I went on my first hunt this past year and I did learn a lot as far as what gear is important. I would also agree that good boots is very high on the list. If you plan to spend a night or two in the backcountry with minimal supplies Make sure you’ve got a good warm sleeping bag. The first night we were out there it got down to about 7 degrees (weather app said low was 25) and my bag was rated for 15... talk about a miserable night and morning. Make sure you’ve got a bag rated well below the expected and not so expected temperatures. Weather in Colorado changes more than anything I’ve ever see.

Marble

WKR
I would pay for a drop camp and see how much you like it. You’ll have a learning curve on the hunting, you won’t have to buy as much gear, you can learn an area and also keep it list of things you need to do or buy for the next year.

It’s difficult to give you advice on what exactly you’ll need. To sum it up, you’ll need items that will help keep you on the mountain, keep you safe and help with your success. This is not a 2 or 3 year process. More like a decade.

in short you will need to tackle the following:

Boots
Clothing system
Backpack
Sleep system
Cooking
Food
Heat and fire
Water
Weapon
Optics
Meat care
First aid
Communications

It’s a vast subject that only in the last 10 to 15 years I’ve figure most of it out. I’ve been hunting in big western backcountry areas since 1990ish.

If you like it, it won’t be a vacation or a “hunt” . It will become an obsession that never ends.

Spend your money on boots and a pack. Other than quality on those two items you can get by to start out with cheaper stuff and can even do without. Lots of people will tell you to spend a small fortune on glass, but for starting and just wanting to put an elk down you can use a quality entry level glass like Vortex or Leupold and do just fine.

Good luck and have fun, the planning can be just as exciting as the hunt!

Netherman

WKR
Coming from MI I was in a similar boat three years ago. I would suggest you look for things that crossover into your home (whitetail?) hunting as well as higher end used gear. I use my exo pack to haul my mobile setup and extra layers whitetail hunting (climbing sticks and hang on or saddle). I also use my western layering system whitetail hunting and have found it lighter and more comfortable.

Step one would be to make a list of gear you think you need and what your overall budget is. After that, I would check the classifieds for a pack from one of the major brands with a load shelf. For clothing I would keep an eye on camofire as well as all the holiday deals that are beginning to show up. If you are willing to mix and match brands/camo patterns you will end up saving. A LOT. Another thing to consider is where you like hoods. I like a base layer with a hood and then a puffy hood, my friend likes a single hood on his mid layer. Make a layering system plan and then watch for deals on gear that fills each slot.

Depending on your planned hunt location I would consider either renting a wall tent setup or staying at a local hotel/motel. This would help lower your startup costs since you won't have to purchase a shelter and associated gear. We bought a wall tent that we also use at our MI deer camp. It all depends on your budget, but I would prioritize your hunt gear ahead of shelter.

Clothing you should be looking at whether you already have or need:

Base Layer Shirt: Merino or synthetic. I'm a merino baselayer believer. in that regard; Black Ovis brand on Camofire best deal. High end brands seem to be more comfortable.

Base Layer Pants: TBD based on personal prefrence (I don't typically wear baselayer pants. Otherwise same as above.

Socks: Buy wool socks there are tons of good brands out there. I like having at least three pairs. Two get cycled during the hunt and the third stays in my pack in case my feet get wet.

Pants: Tons of options here at various price points. If you'll be hunting in snow or regularly do at home I take a hard look at the sitka timberline and kuiu talus pant. Waterproof knees and seat are amazing. Not having to worry when sitting down or crawling in for a shot make them worth it for me. If sitka added hip vents on the timberline they would be the perfect mid-late season pant. Earlier in the year I like the prana zion pants (can be found ~$50) and kuiu attack pants (double the cost for camo and hip vents)

Mid Layer: Warm fleece/Softshell. I like the fleece layer as it allows me more breathability my friend likes the softshell as he has to break out his raingear less. I have a FL halstead and my friend has the kuiu teton.

Puffy Layer: Down vs Synthetic. I like the less worry and typically lower cost associated with synthetic. This comes at the cost of weight and bulk. I have the FL uncomphagre

Outer Shell / Rain Gear: Features, Durability, and Lightweight. The more of these you want the higher the price. This layer is also used as wind stopper when glassing. I have the older FL raingear and my friend has the kuiu nx rain gear. His is lighter and more compact mine is more durable.

Gaiters: These are mandatory for deep snow. They keep your pant legs and socks dry. Additionally, they will provide short term submersion protection. On a stalk in MT this year I broke thru the ice and sank almost to my knee. I quickly pulled my foot back out and only had a small portion of my pants get wet. If I had not been wearing gaiters my pant leg would have been soaked and with temps in the single digits I would have been building a fire or packing out to the truck. I have the kuiu youkon gaiters and love them.

Boots: Go try on as many boots as you can. In MI we don’t have a lot of places to try boots but I’ve been able to try and few of the major brands and from reading reviews see which boots have a similar fit. Find what fit and then keep an eye out. From my experience most boots go on sale between 15 and 30 percent at some point each year. I currently use Schnees Beartooths that I got around 25% off.

Gloves: I’m still on the search for the unicorn glove this provides dexterity and warmth but have resigned myself to the fact that they don’t exist. I do the randy newburg and use chopper mitts and have multiple pairs of wool liners. I take at least two pairs with me each day.

Hat/Facemask: I like having these separate (can be mixed and matched). I have a fleece hat and a merino neck gaiter. I’m looking at going to a synthetic neck gaiter for quicker dry times as the merino didn’t seem to do so well in lower temps.

Gear that you should be looking at or whether you already have:

Trekking poles: Awesome for hiking in the dark, packing out, and can be used a standing shooting sticks. I have the older black diamond cork handled ones. My friend has gone thru two sets of Costco sticks YMMV.

Game bags: Allen Synthetic are probably the most economical. We have a variety of allen, kuiu, tag, and black ovis. TAG are the lightest and seem like they will be the least durable but have yet to fail any of the bags we have. I would buy the allen bags and even if you upgrade down the road you will still find a use for them.

Knives: I’m sure you already have one but replaceable blades sure are nice when you need to quarter an animal especially on a big animal. We’ve used the big three and like the havalon the best. The gerber seems to break blades more easily and the outdoor edge while more forgiving when prying isn’t a fixed blade and is much heavier that the other two. I’m looking at the tyto for the easier clean up as the havalon gets pretty gummed up in the folding portion, but $70 seems steep.

Fire Starting: Tons of options here. I have weatherproof matches (secondary), a few bic mini lighters, and fire cubes.

Glassing seat: Also used for a dry place to stand while removing layers, a kneepad when dressing an animal, and maybe one less thing than duct tape. I use a thermarest pad.

Gear Repair / Medical Kit: Do some research on what other people bring. You will likely bring more that you need and slowly whittle down over the years. I have.

Water system: Some like a bladder some like a Nalgene. I use a Nalgene and would recommend it late season to reduce freezing risk.

That’s all I can think of offhand that I take on a day hunt but I’m sure there are things I’ve missed

OP
W

WillB25

FNG
Coming from MI I was in a similar boat three years ago. I would suggest you look for things that crossover into your home (whitetail?) hunting as well as higher end used gear. I use my exo pack to haul my mobile setup and extra layers whitetail hunting (climbing sticks and hang on or saddle). I also use my western layering system whitetail hunting and have found it lighter and more comfortable.

Step one would be to make a list of gear you think you need and what your overall budget is. After that, I would check the classifieds for a pack from one of the major brands with a load shelf. For clothing I would keep an eye on camofire as well as all the holiday deals that are beginning to show up. If you are willing to mix and match brands/camo patterns you will end up saving. A LOT. Another thing to consider is where you like hoods. I like a base layer with a hood and then a puffy hood, my friend likes a single hood on his mid layer. Make a layering system plan and then watch for deals on gear that fills each slot.

Depending on your planned hunt location I would consider either renting a wall tent setup or staying at a local hotel/motel. This would help lower your startup costs since you won't have to purchase a shelter and associated gear. We bought a wall tent that we also use at our MI deer camp. It all depends on your budget, but I would prioritize your hunt gear ahead of shelter.

Base Layer Shirt: Merino or synthetic. I'm a merino baselayer believer. in that regard; Black Ovis brand on Camofire best deal. High end brands seem to be more comfortable.

Base Layer Pants: TBD based on personal prefrence (I don't typically wear baselayer pants. Otherwise same as above.

Socks: Buy wool socks there are tons of good brands out there. I like having at least three pairs. Two get cycled during the hunt and the third stays in my pack in case my feet get wet.

Pants: Tons of options here at various price points. If you'll be hunting in snow or regularly do at home I take a hard look at the sitka timberline and kuiu talus pant. Waterproof knees and seat are amazing. Not having to worry when sitting down or crawling in for a shot make them worth it for me. If sitka added hip vents on the timberline they would be the perfect mid-late season pant. Earlier in the year I like the prana zion pants (can be found ~$50) and kuiu attack pants (double the cost for camo and hip vents)

Mid Layer: Warm fleece/Softshell. I like the fleece layer as it allows me more breathability my friend likes the softshell as he has to break out his raingear less. I have a FL halstead and my friend has the kuiu teton.

Puffy Layer: Down vs Synthetic. I like the less worry and typically lower cost associated with synthetic. This comes at the cost of weight and bulk. I have the FL uncomphagre

Outer Shell / Rain Gear: Features, Durability, and Lightweight. The more of these you want the higher the price. This layer is also used as wind stopper when glassing. I have the older FL raingear and my friend has the kuiu nx rain gear. His is lighter and more compact mine is more durable.

Gaiters: These are mandatory for deep snow. They keep your pant legs and socks dry. Additionally, they will provide short term submersion protection. On a stalk in MT this year I broke thru the ice and sank almost to my knee. I quickly pulled my foot back out and only had a small portion of my pants get wet. If I had not been wearing gaiters my pant leg would have been soaked and with temps in the single digits I would have been building a fire or packing out to the truck. I have the kuiu youkon gaiters and love them.

Boots: Go try on as many boots as you can. In MI we don’t have a lot of places to try boots but I’ve been able to try and few of the major brands and from reading reviews see which boots have a similar fit. Find what fit and then keep an eye out. From my experience most boots go on sale between 15 and 30 percent at some point each year. I currently use Schnees Beartooths that I got around 25% off.

Gloves: I’m still on the search for the unicorn glove this provides dexterity and warmth but have resigned myself to the fact that they don’t exist. I do the randy newburg and use chopper mitts and have multiple pairs of wool liners. I take at least two pairs with me each day.

Hat/Facemask: I like having these separate (can be mixed and matched). I have a fleece hat and a merino neck gaiter. I’m looking at going to a synthetic neck gaiter for quicker dry times as the merino didn’t seem to do so well in lower temps.

Trekking poles: Awesome for hiking in the dark, packing out, and can be used a standing shooting sticks. I have the older black diamond cork handled ones. My friend has gone thru two sets of Costco sticks YMMV.

Game bags: Allen Synthetic are probably the most economical. We have a variety of allen, kuiu, tag, and black ovis. TAG are the lightest and seem like they will be the least durable but have yet to fail any of the bags we have. I would buy the allen bags and even if you upgrade down the road you will still find a use for them.

Knives: I’m sure you already have one but replaceable blades sure are nice when you need to quarter an animal especially on a big animal. We’ve used the big three and like the havalon the best. The gerber seems to break blades more easily and the outdoor edge while more forgiving when prying isn’t a fixed blade and is much heavier that the other two. I’m looking at the tyto for the easier clean up as the havalon gets pretty gummed up in the folding portion, but $70 seems steep.

Fire Starting: Tons of options here. I have weatherproof matches (secondary), a few bic mini lighters, and fire cubes.

Glassing seat: Also used for a dry place to stand while removing layers, a kneepad when dressing an animal, and maybe one less thing than duct tape. I use a thermarest pad.

Gear Repair / Medical Kit: Do some research on what other people bring. You will likely bring more that you need and slowly whittle down over the years. I have.

Water system: Some like a bladder some like a Nalgene. I use a Nalgene and would recommend it late season to reduce freezing risk.

That’s all I can think of offhand that I take on a day hunt but I’m sure there are things I’ve missed

Thanks for the in depth explanation of each area. That helps a lot

OP
W

WillB25

FNG
I also have to say that Im thoroughly surprised and thankful for all the responses and help I have already gotten on this post. I have been a member of other forums and most of the time you wouldnt get any responses. If you did get a response 90% of the time they were negative. I really appreciate all of the help!!

THunt

FNG

Wow, great write up...bunch of stuff there that I forgot and/or take for granted!

As for clothing, my most recent base layer purchases were about $4 apiece at Goodwill. Just decent quality athletic stuff that I repurposed for hunting. Lots of stuff there that folks bought when they were "gonna lose that 20 lbs". I found Eddie Bauer guidepro pants at the outlet store for less than $50. I TRIED to destroy a pair this year....lost a few stitches on the back pocket to sharp rocks while glassing, but the pants look almost new. I run a pair of light longjohns under them when its colder (teens), but with my activity level while chasing elk, I dont have too much trouble staying warm.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
What I saw on my last hunt that folks did wrong and right:
Worried about super lightweight packing and his tent collapsed twice in one night with heavy snow. Pack each days food rations in individual bags, force yourself to eat everything even if you don't want to.
Don't let yourself get dehydrated....

OP
W

WillB25

FNG
Anyone be heard of a Selkirk tent? Found one local that’s a 12x12 but wasn’t sure if anyone had any input

Michael54

WKR
I've Never heard of them. Check fb marketplace for used stuff as well. I scored a kodiak 10x10 for $75 used. The family was tired of packing it around everytime they moved for work. Luckily i called almost as soon as it was posted.

OP
W

WillB25

FNG
That’s a heck of a deal. I saw them
On the wall tent shop but haven’t heard anything on them

Michael54

WKR
That’s a heck of a deal. I saw them
On the wall tent shop but haven’t heard anything on them
I hunt on a budget lol. I try to find the best gear within my price range for the best price possible. If i can find a deal on something better thats used that was in my budget price range for new i buy it. We do alot of truck camping so weight really doesn't come into play as much as if i was carrying it on my back the whole time.

I think honestly you just need to go do it, you will figure out what you need as you go. You will know what you want for next hunt better than anyone here can tell you. A lot of guys in here just like to repeat what they hear anyway.

Michael54

WKR
I think honestly you just need to go do it, you will figure out what you need as you go. You will know what you want for next hunt better than anyone here can tell you. A lot of guys in here just like to repeat what they hear anyway.
He will definitely see that he doesn't need swarovski,kifaru, sitka everything to enjoy himself. Some of that stuff is really nice to have but not absolutely necessary.