Gear for the hunt video

Curtis C

WKR
Perfect timing. I started putting gear I think I will need for a 5day hunt in a small action packer(minus food and shelter). Pretty stoked there's not a lot of stuff in it this year. The tote should be a good indicator, if it starts getting close to full its time to scrutinize the contents.

C

cmeier117

WKR
This didn't take long to put up! I heard some dumb ass called you in the middle while shooting it and you had to start over...

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's a rough list and I will add or take away depending on the hunt, but it will give you an idea of how/what I load in the pack on the next video.

cmeier117

WKR
That is a pretty refined list. I started with my father in-laws list last year and you would have needed the Kifaru longhunter bag that is 8500 cu inches to get 5 days worth of hunting out of it. His friend had a pack weight of 75lbs for a 2 night trip last year. I think I should send him the link to this video...

G Posik

WKR
That does not look to much different than my list. I have a couple of elk call/bugle tube, extra long bow string and really small items. Now lets see your packing video. Curtis what size tote you using? I will be seeing you in 3 1/2 months.

Glenn

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
57 lbs, but I had 8 lbs of water already in the pack and that 85mm spotter is no lightweight either:)

If I didn't have the camera gear and spotter/tripod, I could get my pack weight down to 43 lbs for 7 days and still live relatively well.

I go pretty light on a few things; medical kit, clothing, survival gear and I never bring a saw, so that drops 10lb from most people pack weight.

When I go really UL, than I can get down to 37lbs for 7 days, but that can really start to suck when things go sideways.

millsms

FNG
Thanks for the video..Now i just need to learn who pack properly :)

Is the UL kifaru material that much lighter over the packcloth for the zipper pouches you used? i saw a white and a coyote one i think in the vid

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use the KU/UL material with my "pull out" pockets. The are very durable and mu suggestion for organizational pockets inside the pack.

TJ

WKR
Great video Aron. Do you not normally take extra water bladders or nalgene bottle?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends on the situation/area I'm hunting, but I will normally take an extra 6L MSR if water is at a premium, but if I know water is everywhere and I'm trying to stay UL than I will only take the 4L.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice work of the video Aron, thanks for putting it together. Just nice to see what other people pack, and how (watched the second video as well).

I had to smile as I was watching though...we load packs in the living room too, and I feel like I spend half my life vacuuming leaves, grass and twigs out of the carpet :)

Thanks for sharing the video. I can't bring myself to take less than three pairs of boxers for a nine day hunt yet. I also splurge on two pairs of pants. No spotter necessary in my gmu in wa state.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great video Aron!!! Whatcha gonna do with those extra 5 arrows anyways?? Don't see a release or that other thingy to shot the arrows with. :D