Gear list advice for first year hunter

spdrman

WKR
Probably stressing about this more than I should but it's something I think about almost daily so figured I'd ask and get some other opinions.

I have 2 awesome boys, 7 and 9, this fall my older boy will be able to hunt big game and I cant wait to get him out. Neither of them are new to the hunting scene, been taking them since they where in diapers and still remember changing diapers on the mountain chasing spring bears and in the antelope blind haha, they've watched me shoot antelope the last 5 years and have been on several successful bear, deer and elk hunts too.

They have the drive to succeed and get around the mountains very well chasing hounds in the spring and summer, both in great shape between school sports and bmx, I hate saying it but i struggle keeping up with them.

My biggest worry is keeping him comfortable hunting, everything we've done to date the truck hasnt been very far away, October weather is alot different than sitting in their underwear in the antelope blind in August. Looking for suggestions tips and tricks while taking him out from you guys that have already been through the trial and error phase to help make this as fun as I can. Big concern is keeping him warm and dry obviously, boots is my biggest concern, I dont mind spending some money on them where i'm sure they'll still be in good shape by the time he grows out of them and hand em down to his brother. Also would like to find some gaiters that fit kids, yote hunting he uses my old ones and I duct tape the top and bottom.

Would love some suggestions on base layer too, I have a kifaru woobie I plan on carrying for him to bundle up in while we glass for deer, plenty of handwarmers. I bought him a kryptek puffy and hard shell rain jacket which has seemed to work well yote hunting this winter.

Open to any other gear ideas i might not of thought of to make this the most enjoyable as I can. Kid loves being out and wont tell me when he's cold cuz he doesnt want to go home so I have to keep and eye on him

For fun here's our 2020 antelope

-storage-emulated-0-DCIM-2020 antelope-20200929-224302.JPG

go_deep

WKR
If you Google youth wool shirt, or long John's, or socks, here'll be lots of none camo, but solid natural color options that come up. I've been primarily outfitting my kids with random clearance things that I can find. There are a billion online clothing retailers, somebody always has a sale. I did buy him a men's size small set of gators off Amazon, they're good enough for the limited amount he uses them. I've even picked up a couple solid natural color fleece tops and camo jeans at goodwill.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
I'm slowly getting away from camo and going more to solid natural colors so that doesnt bother me at all, there is endless options when i've looked, hard to decide what to go with

go_deep

WKR
I'm slowly getting away from camo and going more to solid natural colors so that doesnt bother me at all, there is endless options when i've looked, hard to decide what to go with

Sometimes you just got to take a chance.

Women's / kids ski clothes. The funny thing is kids don't sweat like we do it seems...they are more sensitive just overheating w/o getting wet which is weird. I have seen my charging up a hill wearing everything on...they just turn red...no real sweat. The woobie is a game changer for kids...it' can make all the difference when they get cold and tuckered out. That plus a bomber hat have saved a few trips. I have always carried a jetboil with me to keep them plied with hot chocolate when they get cold. The big thing is they don't realize when they are bonking so keeping them fueled with food seems to be critical. Otherwise they get cranky...they burn so many calories and don't realize they are running out of gas and what do do about it.

go_deep

WKR
Just remembered the other day I was in Walmart and they had all hunting clothes on clearance. I picked up camo UV long sleeves for my kids for $2 each and camo cargo pants for $4 each. It's not highend stuff, but when they'll grow out of it in a year or two I can't afford to outfit them with that kind of gear.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
totally forgot about their clearance sales at the end of the season! I'll have to go see if they still have stuff out, I've got them quite a few things off the clearance rack, thanks for the reminder!

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Women's / kids ski clothes. The funny thing is kids don't sweat like we do it seems...they are more sensitive just overheating w/o getting wet which is weird. I have seen my charging up a hill wearing everything on...they just turn red...no real sweat. The woobie is a game changer for kids...it' can make all the difference when they get cold and tuckered out. That plus a bomber hat have saved a few trips. I have always carried a jetboil with me to keep them plied with hot chocolate when they get cold. The big thing is they don't realize when they are bonking so keeping them fueled with food seems to be critical. Otherwise they get cranky...they burn so many calories and don't realize they are running out of gas and what do do about it.
never really paid that much attention but now that you mention it my kids really dont sweat, they race bikes all summer and some times their hair gets a little damp but thats about it! They love to snack and are very good at loading their packs up with treats when we go out! I do like the jetboil Idea too, thanks!