Gear list and weight

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got round to weighing all my stuff, so I can take out some of the guess work. Let the weight cutting begin. I'm open to suggestions :)
The heavier bag and sleeping pad are comfort choices... I'm always cold, so carry a bigger bag and more comfy mat. Apologies for the awkward formatting, I can't get the numbers to line up straight)

Frans

Item Weight (Lbs)

Electronics/optics/etc
Range finder 0.52
SPOT 0.50
Binoculars 1.52
Compass 0.07
Spotting scope 1.69
Tripod 1.91
SLR camera 2.05
Flashlight 0.15
Headlamp 0.17
Spare batteries 0.17

Weaponry
Scoped rifle 7.10
9 rnds ammo 0.51
gun sock 0.30
Pocket knife 0.15
Skinning knife 0.32

Clothing
KUIU raingear 1.94
TBD 0.00

Sleeping gear
Tent 2.84
Sleeping bag 3.35
Pad 1.92
Pillow 0.53
Siltarp 0.45

Cooking gear
MSR stove 0.24
Pot/cup/lighter 0.84
Gas (approx 300 gram each) 2 1.32
Spoon 0.06
Firestarter+lighter 0.12

Assorted crap
Bandaids/moleskin/etc 0.17
Whistle 0.04
Sharpening steel 0.07
Bag to contain stuff 0.03
Heatpacks 0.22
Rope 0.20
Sit pad 0.13
Game bags (92 gram each) 4 0.81
Toilet paper 0.08
Garbage bag 0.09
Extra strap 0.06
Wallet 0.33
Cellphone 0.41
Carkeys 0.12
Paperback book 0.33
Assorted toiletries 0.19
Pack 6.12

Food&water
1.5 lbs food per day - 5 days 7.50
water for one day - 2.5 liter 6.06

Total 53.69

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
You can shave quite a bit of weight by upgrading your sleeping bag, pack, and pad, all it takes is money.

Leave the stuff that isn't needed like the gunsock, wallet, car keys, whistle, etc.

replace the skinning knife and steel with a Havalon.

you can be under 50 pretty easy.

OP
F

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Funny those are the exact things that I upgraded recently: the pack is a Kifaru Timberline, the bag was a deliberate choice of a wider, down bag (Western Mountaineering Sequia MF), rated for 5 oF, and the pad is one of those down-filled inflatables (Exped downmat 7). I thought pack and bag were pricey enough already :)

The gun sock is often a legal requirement as many trailheads start in provincial recreation areas.

Where do you suggest I leave the car keys? Wallet and phone can stay home, but I need at least need licenses, tags, some cash, etc.

Frans

Last edited:
You'd be better off shaving weight by leaving wallet, car keys, and other things like that at the truck. You have a great bag and pad, and as you said you bought them for comfort not the weight. Which I can completely understand. Like Matt said you could use a havalon and save some weight there too. But to me it looks like a good list and you're ok with carrying a heavier bag/pad for comfort.

53lbs and change is a good weight for 5 days with comfortable items and what not. I don't see much weight you could shave other than maybe a lb without giving up comforts.

Since you are only going for 5 days you can certainly cut out one of the large gas canisters. You should be able to easily get by with one of the smaller 100gm canisters.

beat me to it,
another havalon vote,
gonna guess you want to keep the pillow
whats the plan for the siltarp and a tent?
leave the flashlight and extra batts and put new lithium in headlamp before you leave
probably need to plan to add an insulation layer at around 10-15oz and spare socks and underwear at about 10oz

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
First off,

Like ohhiitznik said, 53 pounds ain't bad, but it sounded like you were asking to save further weight.

I didn't know you were in Canada, so that explains the sock.

You can leave the keys in a hide-a-key or hidden nearby your rig. Or ... if you are properly insured and want a new rig, leave them in the gas hatch. :)

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So you're about 43 lbs without keys, wallet, rifle, binos, rangefinder? Is that about right?

43 lb pack weight isn't bad. Why a tent and a tarp?

I'm hoping to be at 36 this year with 3 L water and 6 days food.

OP
F

frans

Lil-Rokslider
The tent is tiny. If I run into weather, which I have, I get claustrophobic in my little shelter in a matter of 30 min. I'd rather rig up a tarp, start a fire, and wait it out that way. The tiny vestibule (of the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1) doesn't hold much gear either. In the off season I take my dog on my trips, and if it rains it becomes a choice: either my dog is dry or my gear is dry.

I used to just rig up a tarp, I may go back to that approach, at least in summer and early season.

I didn't add clothes, as fillthefreezer pointed out, and that is where I shed quite a bit of weight last year. Finally got comfortable with NOT schlepping that very heavy windbreaker sweater and some other stuff that just seemed to add weight and bulk.

Thanks for all the feedback. Nice to get confirmed that I'm in the ballpark, with some tweaks still possible.

Frans

Manosteel

WKR
The tent is tiny. If I run into weather, which I have, I get claustrophobic in my little shelter in a matter of 30 min. I'd rather rig up a tarp, start a fire, and wait it out that way. The tiny vestibule (of the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1) doesn't hold much gear either.
Frans

Must be a Canadian thing :) I also carry a light weight 1-man tent w small vestibule and a custom made UL silnylon tarp(11x9). Not only is it good for the above reason, I will carry the tarp with me and sleeping bag/pad at all times in case I get stuck out on the moutain... again.

Jon Boy

WKR
So you're about 43 lbs without keys, wallet, rifle, binos, rangefinder? Is that about right?

43 lb pack weight isn't bad. Why a tent and a tarp?

I'm hoping to be at 36 this year with 3 L water and 6 days food.

At first I looked at the total weight and thought it might be a little excessive, but I forgot I typically dont add gun, binos, and rangefinder to my total pack weight. sounds like your about right for a 5 dayer

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I plan to be at or below 40 lbs. for seven days this year with everything included. I'll post a list of what I'll be packing when I get a chance.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Ok here is what I'll be taking. I'm going to do this in parts because I don't have the whole list together right now.

Camp
Modified Kifaru T1 88 oz. (guess)
Hexamid Solo plus with stakes 7.1 oz.
Raven Omni Bivy 7 oz.
Xtherm Pad 15 oz.
Nunatak Arc Ghost 14 oz.
Butane lighter 1.3 oz.
Headlamp 2.8 oz.
Havalon with blades 3 oz.
First aid 8 oz.
T.P. 5 oz.

Total weight 151.2 oz. Or 9.45 lbs

I'll try and get the rest of my list typed up tomorrow.