Gear list article plus some post hunt feedback.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys.. here is a gear list article I just wrote up with what I rolled with this year. http://selfilmed.com/blog/2016/10/2016-backcountry-gear-list-wy-mule-deer/. Since I've already done the hunt, I wanted to touch on a couple things I'm going to change for this year with you guys. Hopefully there's something that will help someone.

PACK
-Solid as ever.. probably won't be changing packs for the hunt. May however go with the DT2 for scouting trips though when the extra room isn't needed.

SLEEP SYSTEM
-This is going to get a bit of a reboot. The Soulo is an awesome tent that I will have forever... but it is a bit overkill for an early season hunt. I knew that when I bought it, but wanted the most durable tent I could get for this season and only the funds didn't allow me to buy another lighter version. It unexpectedly snowed like 6 inches on me one night though and the tent held up awesome as expected... there was a ton of super wet sticky snow on it.

-I'm going to start testing out the tarp system and see how I get along with it. If I like it I'll be rolling with one of the Kifaru tarps, and if I don't I'll be going with one of the 3 season Hillebergs.

-I love my Kifaru slick bag. Depending on what I do with the shelter situation I may get into a 20 degree slick bag instead of the 0 degree, to save a little un-needed weight and space. No complaints what so ever on the slick bag however, I love it.

-Been rolling the BA Q core for like 5 years now and haven't had much trouble with it... went 4 seasons with the previous Q Core and got a leak I couldn't find. Sent it to them and they had a new one to me in about 3 days. Comfortable pad and worth the extra weight for me, but may try the thermarest x therm for something different next.

COOKING
- I've never had troubles with the Pocket Rocket.. they are pretty durable and cheap. I think next year I'm going to move to the small stove Snyder was running this year. Suppose to be more efficient. The 5 days I boiled water for coffee 3 of the mornings and again in the evenings for dinner and never went over 1 small can of fuel. Couldn't tell you how much is left in there now though.
-Been running the same stove and cook set for like 5 years now. I also like the GSI minimalist cup.. kind of nice having the sippy lid and insulated sleeve for keeping coffee or whatever warmer a little longer.

FOOD
-Was pretty good on the food side. Ended up grabbing a couple of ProBar Meal bars to replace the granola breakfast and I think that's the way I'll be leaning for the rest of season. Much easier and less steps involved than granola mix.. Haven't really looked at the caloric difference yet though.
-Snack situation was pretty good. ProBar Bite's are super good. ProBar Base is good, but I think I'd rather some different type of protein bar though. RX bars are good as well.. I think I'm going to attempt to make my own. Picked up a couple Epic bars and I like those as well... haven't compared nutrition values but the consistency is basically like a stick of ground jerky.
-PB, bacon, honey sandwich was kickass as expected. Last year I did wraps instead of bagels and I'm going to go back to the wraps. Personal preference there I think. Other descent options I've done is pre cooked chicken in a wrap with cheese and BBQ sause... another is tuna packets in a wrap. They are just a bit heavier because of the water, but not such a big deal for shorter trips I suppose.

WATER
-Since I camped up where there was no water I carried 6L up with me. Got me through the expected 3 days, I wasn't doing any intense hiking. Didn't take a pump with me, just 1 nalgene bottle with the steripen. After the 3 days I just melted snow. The MSR drom bags are awesome for water storage though, pretty tough material seems like.

TRIPOD
-I'm a fan of my Slik 634 tripod and will continue using it... the ball head however I may delete and get an outdoorsmans pan head.

GPS/InReach
-Honestly left it in the vehicle. I'm pretty familiar with the spot but I did have a map and compass that I forgot to include in the article. I maybe would have brought it if it wasn't so gigantic.. may be downsizing next year for sure on that topic.
-The InReach is pretty top notch if your wanting to keep in touch with home.

LIGHTS
-The huskemaw headlamp is a great little light. Batteries seem to last a really long time, and it is lightweight for the amount of torch it gives you. I wish you could lock it like the black diamond but great light. Black Diamond is the light I would wear around camp and used it as a backup. Would recommend them both.

CLOTHING
-This is super dialed in, no troubles here even with all of the snow. I did ditch the gaiters before I hiked in and after the snow came unexpectedly I wished I had them. I also went with the Ragnar pants instead of the Valhalla's... both have the same cut that I love but the Ragnar's have a little heavier material and also have the knee pad inserts which I used.

BOOTS
-I get made fun of for my orange boots all of the time but I do like them. I have noticed a difference in how my feet feel compared to the Kenetreks I've previously ran. My feet apparently like the stiffer boot in the rocks and steep country.. the bottoms of my feet don't hurt as much.
-I may get wild and try out the La Sportiva Trango Cube's for a similar boot next year but for now I like the Charmoz. They are overkill for lower country stuff though... I'll either wait it out until next year when new items come out or pick up a pair of the softer La Sportiva Trango TRK's.

BOW
-Moving to the Hoyt Nitrum Turbo from the Heli-m. Looking for a little more speed on my setup without moving to a lighter arrow.

Didn't get to use the kill kit unfortunately. Long story short, I ended up sticking one of the bucks I'd been watching all summer off the top of some cliffs. Quartering away shot.. I thought off lung for sure. He bailed off the rocks and ran into a smaller patch of trees in the bottom of the basin and never came out. Another "hunter" near by with his dog? saw the deer run in there and followed him in before I could reach the bottom. It seems he bumped the buck and I lost all blood after he appeared to have bolted out of his bed... wasn't able to recover him.

Hope this can help someone with their trip out west.

-Jordan

Thanks for sharing your gear list. Definitely nice to compare what I've recently purchased and what an experienced hunter takes. Also sent you a PM with a few questions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
I know you mentioned in the article you packed in all you water, but what is your normal water setup? This was my first season of backpack hunting so I like to see gear list like this, I really struggled with food. I pack enough, but wasn't happy with it so I didn't eat much of it.

Thanks,
Boswell

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run the 634 tripod as yourself and the mini outdoorsmans pan head. Went through a few before a settled on this combo-----really good setup.

What was the total weight of your pack?

Randy

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know you mentioned in the article you packed in all you water, but what is your normal water setup? This was my first season of backpack hunting so I like to see gear list like this, I really struggled with food. I pack enough, but wasn't happy with it so I didn't eat much of it.

Thanks,
Boswell

So I'm a Nalgene bottle fan. I used to pair it up with the MSR mini works filter but found most of the places I go have running water so I switched to a steripen. Quite a bit quicker process and certainly lighter. I'll take a 2L platypus bag empty rolled up in my pack for extra water if needed. This trip I left the drom bag empty until the last good water spot, then filled it. I think if I were going into sketchy looking spots with unknown water I would take the "real" filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run the 634 tripod as yourself and the mini outdoorsmans pan head. Went through a few before a settled on this combo-----really good setup.

What was the total weight of your pack?

Randy

Sweet, I'm definitely leaning towards that. The ball head is ok but I miss the handle for finer adjustments. I actually didn't even weigh it this go round. The camera gear really gets me on the weight side too. Based on last year and some estimations with gear changes, I was right around 45 lbs going in without the extra water. I'll try to load it back up and get it weighed one of these evenings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk