Gear List, Brooks Range Sheep & Bear Hunt

GrantN

FNG
Just returned from my first sheep/bear hunt. I went to the north slope of the Brooks Range on a fully guided hunt. I know there are a ton of gear list on here already, but for what it's worth, here's a link to my gear list. I updated it after getting back by striking through items I didn't use and making some notes. Hopefully it will be helpful to others.

I had the time of my life. For any of you guys on the fence, go for it!

DRUSS

WKR
Thanks for the updates on the list. I have couple questions, what's Tenacious tape? And was there a reason for taking moleskin and Leukotape? You said that you would take more bars and trail mix-was that because you needed more food or just wanted more variety? Was this a 10 day trip?
Thank you

Thanks for the updates on the list. I have couple questions, what's Tenacious tape? And was there a reason for taking moleskin and Leukotape? You said that you would take more bars and trail mix-was that because you needed more food or just wanted more variety? Was this a 10 day trip?
Thank you

Gear Aid Tenacious Tape is a rip stop repair tape for clothe/fabric. Works great if you tear clothing, rain gear or tent. About $10 a roll on Amazon or $25 at REI. You can also get it in patches but I recommend the roll. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHoover

FNG
I too was in the Brooks and had a very similar experience with my gear list. Never used reading glasses, Sunglasses, Headlamp, batteries, extra wool t shirts, extra underwear, and only needed 2 pairs of socks. I was out for 11 days but only was able to hunt 4 due to weather so that saved on some clothes. I could have used more coffee and snacks due to boredom eating while stuck in the tent. I did read all of "Undaunted Courage" on my phone and had to reread "campfires in the Canadian Rockies" to finish out the trip.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
congrats! :)

what cooler bags did you use? dry ice? I'm guessing that would save some $ vs having the meat shipped

your thoughts on not having a spotting scope? obviously the guide will have one, I'm so used to packing one (and using one) not sure if it would drive me crazy not having one (obviously an easy weigh to shave several lbs)

Just returned from my first sheep/bear hunt. I went to the north slope of the Brooks Range on a fully guided hunt. I know there are a ton of gear list on here already, but for what it's worth, here's a link to my gear list. I updated it after getting back by striking through items I didn't use and making some notes. Hopefully it will be helpful to others.

I had the time of my life. For any of you guys on the fence, go for it!
Thanks for sharing your list. I hope to get there this fall.

the hack

WKR
I too was in the Brooks and had a very similar experience with my gear list. Never used reading glasses, Sunglasses, Headlamp, batteries, extra wool t shirts, extra underwear, and only needed 2 pairs of socks. I was out for 11 days but only was able to hunt 4 due to weather so that saved on some clothes. I could have used more coffee and snacks due to boredom eating while stuck in the tent. I did read all of "Undaunted Courage" on my phone and had to reread "campfires in the Canadian Rockies" to finish out the trip.
All of Undaunted Courage? I applaud you sir! Did you nibble off War and Peace too?🤣

All kidding aside, you made a great choice in your reading material!