Gear List Review for 2015

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn't sure which of the equipment forums to put this in since it encompasses the entire list. The detailed review is in the video:

[video=youtube;VJl1ZOt2QRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJl1ZOt2QRo[/video]

PDF of the list
http://diy-sportsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2015-Elk-Hunting-Gear-List.pdf

Here's the cliff notes version:

-Pack system: I used an Alps Commander frame (just the frame, around $80-90) along with the Cabelas Outfitter Whitetail Day Pack ($99, 2250 cu in, 2lb 14oz, quiet, waterproof, built-in 2L bladder with insulated hose). I REALLY like this system. So much so that I have no desire to upgrade to an Exo, Kifaru, Kuiu, etc. I strapped the sleeping bag, food, day pack, camera tripod, and bow to the frame. Once camp was set up, I just brought the daypack and essentials each day and enjoyed it.

-Shelter and sleeping: Sold the solo tent and brought an MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 (fast and light pitch: poles, stakes, and rainfly only, no floor 2lb 2oz). It realistically worked fine. Some condensation but nothing terrible. Loved being able to crawl inside with clothes and boots on. Stayed dry in the rain, etc. It was a little sort. Some nights my long sleeping back would touch the far end of the fly and get a little wet on the outside. So I re-staked the tent to allow for more length and less width. My plan for next year is to build a DIY Megatarp along with a removable annex and stove jack. Should be less weight and more space (particularly in the length category). Could even double up with someone and split some pack weight.

-Cooking and Drinking: Everything worked great - no desire to change ever. I used a Snowpeak 700mL pot with lid, Fire Maple 300t stove, 100g fuel canister, Bic mini lighter, plastic canister tripod, and MSR folding spoon. Everything nested into the pot except the spoon. 100g of fuel got me through 8 freeze dried meals averaging 16oz of water boiled. I used a Sawyer Squeeze and brought the backflush syringe as a just in case.

-Packed clothes: I had a couple extra pairs of boxers, one extra pair of socks, an 800 fill down vest, under armour cold gear bottoms, and sherpa-fleeced lined softshell. The only thing I never reached for was the under armour. The cabelas Space Rain jacket seemed to perform pretty well. I only used it while rain was falling, and only a few times while covering a lot of ground. Not a true torture test.

-Saftey and essentials/kill kit: Never really needed to touch anything here. Compass, tinder, Havalon, first aid kit, etc I'm all pretty comfortable with. Used maps from Mapmyhunt; they were nice maps which allowed us to get a nice idea going in. Ultimately we did a bunch of scouting the first few days and found most of our own "hot spots" while hunting. I would like to do some more research on high quality game bags. From what I've heard, the Wal-Mart Allen game bags don't protect meat all that well, and they take up a bunch of daypack space.

-Electronics: Once again, the Garmin 62s came in very handle, particularly routing around deadfall fields in the dark. The headlamp I used was less than $5 but performed fine. Used lithium batteries for everything. I had an Anker E4 portable power pack to recharge the cameras and cell phone.

-Clothing/Optics/Boots: The vertigo camo pattern on the jacket was nice in the aspens but stood out in the dark timber. Mostly I was using my cabelas merino base layer which blended in well and was fairly comfortable. I started leaving my 12x50 binoculars at camp. The terrain wasn't open enough to really utilize them, so they were unnecessary weight for me. A more preferable size would have been 8x42 most likely. I really liked the boots once again. I had Meindl ultralight uninsulated boots. After 37 miles and 7000' up and down, I never had any hot spots, blisters, or other discomfort caused by the boots.

Last edited:
TAG BOMB bags are the way to go. Light & compact, they fit a boned out elk well. They also wash up nice & easy, so they are reusable. I have a set and used them for elk, whitetail & black bear so far...

OP
B

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
TAG BOMB bags are the way to go. Light & compact, they fit a boned out elk well. They also wash up nice & easy, so they are reusable. I have a set and used them for elk, whitetail & black bear so far...

Cool, I'll check those out.

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to what you find as far as gaiters.

Most likely I'll get the Kuiu ones. I should probably order them now.

Felix40

WKR
You can make game bags out of pillow cases too. Sew two seems side by side up the middle and then cut between them to make two long narrow bags. Then add a drawstring. We were able to put a cow in 6 bags no problem. That's like $3 and 10x better than any cheesecloth bags you can buy.