Gear Protection for Truck Camper Cap Dust Factory

treillw

WKR
Tis the season for the dust bowl in the truck camper cap. I'd like to keep three pounds of dust out of my sleeping bags, tents, pads, etc etc.

I've used cheap trash bags before they tear and then I feel bad throwing a dozen trash bags away after a weekend.

What do you recommend to keep your stuff from getting dusty?

Contractor trash bags? But they don't seal up the best/are a paint to reuse if you tie them. They end up dirty. I guess you could wash them.

First world problems.

Randle

WKR
I havent looked recently but a few years ago i bought gianormous ziplock bags for this same thing they worked good for that season and they were tough.

Ziploc big bags brand

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I havent looked recently but a few years ago i bought gianormous ziplock bags for this same thing they worked good for that season and they were tough.

Ziploc big bags brand
any recollection as to how many gallons they were?

If you have a window at the front of the truck cap, open it. The air pressure into the capped bed really cuts the dust down.

I also just use the biggest plastic totes I can buy. One for general camp gear, one for cooking, etc.

Whitty

FNG
Buy some large sponges and cut them to wedge in all of the bed openings like around the bed stakes and tie down points. A few strips of stick on gasket around the tailgate does wonders as well....

Man dust is my nemesis with my camper top. I’ve had it 5 years and there was about a 3 month period I had it sealed perfect. I’ve tried every kit/foam/tape. Even when you think you’ve got it, it’ll be gone in a month or so. I just put everything in duffles and coolers now.

Bonehammer

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same issue, until a friend recommended truxseal (purchased on amazon). Its not perfect but cut down ~85% of the dust and I have been really happy with it

Tod osier

WKR
If you have a window at the front of the truck cap, open it. The air pressure into the capped bed really cuts the dust down.

I've found that leaving the window open varies in usefulness depending on truck and I don't know why. It was like magic on our Tacoma with topper, but didn't work on our Tundra very well. It worked so well on the Taco, I thought the rest of the world must be idiots for not doing it that way.

On our current F250 I sealed the bed to side gaps (Urethane Seam Sealer, Grey, 310mL Cartridge-by-3M - works well) and gasketed the tailgate and it is pretty good with windows closed. Everything important in totes with lids.

johnw

FNG
I would second what Tod said with sealing your bed and using totes. I have an LEER100XQ on an 8' bed with a spray in bed liner and dealt with the dust issues. Eventually I sealed the sides and left 2 small openings in at the front for water drainage. A very small amount of dust still gets in but it worked really well.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same issue. I added a gasket to the tailgate and similar to Bonehammer it cut down the dust by 85%.

If you sleep in your bed you’ll need to leave some of the openings or crack a window. Making it airtight to eliminate dust will also reduce the flow of fresh oxygen.

Last edited:
I have a 150 qt cooler that goes on hunting trips, camping trips, you name it. It's a Coleman and was about $60. It's pretty much 100% dust free inside. It also can turn into a meat cooler or a tailgate step at a moments notice!

Takes up some space but it's out of the bed upon arrival anyway. Also depending on what you have to pack, you can fit a smaller cooler with food and beverages inside of it on one end and still pack your stuff. . . Ice will last forever double insulated like that.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I keep anything that I don’t want to get dusty in big Rubbermaid totes and it works great. Will also it partially open if I think of it and that keeps dust out.