Gear recommendations for early September

Muzzprong

FNG
3 of us are booked with Ram Aviation for early September of 2023. We are from Idaho and hunt deer and elk so we have most of the gear I think we would need but planing to upgrade some things as needed and looking for recommendations on must have gear. Biggest concern is rain gear, sleep system and waders. Dad and I currently have 0 degree Kelty bags that seem to have a true 0 degree comfort rating would these be good enough? They are on the heavy side so we might upgrade just due to the weight restriction. Any recommendations on other bags to consider? Been looking at Big Agnes I like the pad system and they seem middle of the road on price.
We have core 4 rain gear wondering if we should upgrade to something like Helly Hansen impertech? Should we take breathable waders or not or is something like Wiggys a better option to avoid having to take hiking boots and wading boots? When talking to Brian we wanted the option to hunt from a ridge but ultimately are willing to hunt wherever we have the best chance of success. Would also be interested in any gear lists guys have used for fly out hunts that allow you to meet the 55# weight restriction. If there is anyone that has flown out with Ram Aviation and is interested in sharing any info I would love to pick your brain on your experience. If your willing to share you can email me at [email protected]. Not sure I can DM due to lack of posts. Thanks to everyone and their posts. This forum was used extensively in deciding who we wanted to use as a transporter.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
You will have a blast! Here are some options we recommend if you do decide to upgrade.

Any recommendations on other bags to consider?
  • BIG AGNES BAGS
  • WESTERN MOUNTAINEERING BAGS
  • KIFARU BAGS
  • KUIU BAGS
Rain gear wondering if we should upgrade?
  • KUIU YUKON OR KUTANA
  • FIRST LITE SEAK STORMTIGHT
  • ARCTERYX BETA AR
Should we take breathable waders or not? - No

TodOz

FNG
I'm heading up this coming September. I plan to use a Thermarest Questar 0 degree bag and Helly Hansen Impertech rain suit.

TodOz

FNG
Our hunt was later in Sept but I shared all about what we used on the podcast and thread at the top of the caribou forum.
A great resource. I've looked through that thread several times getting ready for my trip. I will say that I still couldn't bring myself to buy those boots. I'll be using some Crispi boots but not the moon boots you have. :)

mcseal2

WKR
Glad it helped.

I don’t blame you on the boots. They work perfect but are expensive and ugly!

Saw a pair of Zamberlan’s I think it was that looked similar in design but less gaudy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it helped.

I don’t blame you on the boots. They work perfect but are expensive and ugly!

Saw a pair of Zamberlan’s I think it was that looked similar in design but less gaudy.

Do you have a link to the podcast?

mcseal2

WKR

Used a Kifaru 0° in late September. Temps at night were single digits. Stayed pretty comfortable in that bag. Also used a Kifaru puffy during the day when glassing. It’s the single warmest piece of gear I own. We did not have any issues with precipitation during our hunt. Some snow but never got wet, never needed rain gear.

mcseal2

WKR
I had a Kifaru 20 degree bag and LPP puffy. One of the guys had their puffy pants too. Good stuff.

I'm in the same boat and looking to upgrade some gear. I will be flying out of Tok this fall. First time hunting caribou and first time hunting Alaska! Good luck!

Forrest1

FNG
Classified Approved
Are bears an issue ? I was just wondering about a meatpole in front of my tent if that is safe or not . Also for fishing did you have a rod that would breakdown for packability that you'd recommend ? Going September 7-15 this fall and just trying to figure all this stuff out ?

Are bears an issue ? I was just wondering about a meatpole in front of my tent if that is safe or not . Also for fishing did you have a rod that would breakdown for packability that you'd recommend ? Going September 7-15 this fall and just trying to figure all this stuff out ?

Depends. Common sense is your best bear deterrent though. In terms of where to stash meat and antlers/capes, I'd put them as close as possible to where you'll lift those pieces and load them into a plane. Keep meat/capes dry, ventilated, shaded and insect free.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Fenwick makes a couple of decent pack spinning rods. One model comes with two tip sections, both medium light and medium weight lures. Both models we bought were just fine and came with hard cases. I believe they were each around $100 so not a spendy outlay of money if they got broken or lost.

Scotty82b

FNG
Fenwick makes a couple of decent pack spinning rods. One model comes with two tip sections, both medium light and medium weight lures. Both models we bought were just fine and came with hard cases. I believe they were each around $100 so not a spendy outlay of money if they got broken or lost.

it’s the Fenwick HMG travel rod. i have both the spinning and casting. they make good throw in the trunk and have a combo just in case scenario. will be bring the spinning up to Alaska on my hunting trip.