Gear review, mostly clothing - backcountry archery

Bluto

WKR
If I don't do it now, I'll forget. Plus I'm headed to the desert for a year deployment, which will make me double forget. It was an early archery season hunt, but we got ourselves a cold snap at elevation, just to make sure the gear was a good choice. Went to the eagle cap wilderness area in NE Oregon, a couple of pictures attached to inadequately demonstrate the variety of terrain and environment. Elevation topped out shy of 9,000 - but we saw dry, high desert scrub ground, hard timber, rock and lose shale, and some near tropical looking hip high greenery and near pond size wallows. Perfect habitat, and we were into elk from the start. I did pass on an easy shot on a cow on day 1 with a nice 6x6 in trail, but never closed the deal. Doing it again, so it goes without saying it's not about the result - just like you already know, it was worth it and I can't wait to get back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No idea why everything imports sideways.

Gear: First Lite Llano base layer, socks and boxers. Listed these first because they frankly had the biggest impact and were the most impressive. We hiked up/in about 4 miles to setup camp, and at least that much every day on the hunt. Came back out to resupply after 4 days and back in. I'm not saying it's the greatest plan, but I wore the first Lite stuff 7 days, changed socks once. I've never seen anything like it - this stuff actually wicks moisture and stays odor free like everyone else advertises. Whatever the socks ($25) and boxers ($45) cost, they're worth it. Not discounting anyone else's because I haven't used it, but this stuff is the real deal. I literally wrung out the llano shirt after the hike in, and it was completely dry and fully functional in less than 15 minutes. Excellent, worh the price gear.

Kryptek Alaios pants were great. Fell more than I'd like to admit, lots of time scooting around on the rear, knees, etc and they held up beautifully. The reinforcement coating in the knees is awesome, and these are the most comfortable pants I've ever owned of any type. I've read reviews that aren't sure what to do with all of those pockets, but I apparently do. I know actually look at other brands and wonder what I'm going to do with all of my stuff if I didn't have those pockets. Zippers are quiet, movement through brush is relatively quiet and not loud enough I ever thought it was an issue, and I feel like I stressed them enough to say they are plenty durable. No complaints other than the Chinese sweatshop construction.

Kryptek Vidar vest - I'm a believer that a good vest is the best idea for early season hunts at altitude ever conceived. The freedom of movement with core insulation is awesome. This was a great piece, wore it every day in various levels of layer. I bought this one size larger to have as an always available outer layer, worked great.

Kryptek Kratos jacket performed great as well. Came with a stuff sack that turned it into a perfect pillow at night, easily packable and provided perfect warmth and insulation for our cold snap. Great piece of kit with more than one use, only issue is that this is the one piece that's a bit noisy in thicker cover. Well, that and Kryptek fit reared its head here. Fits perfect - as long as you're scrawny arms Rob Lowe. Can't figure out why this gear fits absolutely true to size in the torso, but basically punishes you if you've ever lifted a weight. I'm not a huge guy, but the arm dimensions seem to be ordered from baby gap.

Kryptek cerdic hoodie I only wore in camp at night, really glad I brought it along! Hood is WAY full coverage, same figment issue as Kratos jacket. Great insulator, and super comfy back at camp or headed to bed.

Zamberlan Vioz Top boots: phenomenal. Best pair of boots I've owned and by far far the best fit for my flinstone-style wide feet. Nothing I would change about these boots.

Nemo "spoon shape" sleeping bag, 30 degree. Wow, I finally found a bag! Cold snap took us down to 19 one night in a 30 degree bag and I slept like a baby. I do sleep a bit warm, so keep in mind I could see those who don't getting a bit cold with this design. However, I would still take it with being able to side sleep comfortably, I just can't do the mummy bag. Sitting up in the morning in the bag and able to stay zipped up sitting cross legged and have a cup of coffee made the trip. Tons of great features - to include the quilt top tab it has to give you a "blanket" tuck under your face for added warmth and comfort. Totally worth the price, recommend a warmer bag if you sleep cold.

Klymit insulated sleeping pad - delivers everything a $175 pad advertises for $80. Biggest surprise piece of gear, decent r value and super comfort. There's not a chance thermarest makes something worth double the price. (Note - this was NOT the skeleton style pad.)

I think that covers it, I can provide more details if anyone has specific questions. I'll eventually can the Kryptek unless they move manufacturing from China and go with Wild Things. Worth the price, I just needed gear on a shorter timeline for this trip. Not saying Kryptek is bad quality, just principle. And, it's my money - in case someone wants to lecture.

I would still recommend any of the above gear. It holds up well!

Cheers.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Thanks man, appreciate it!

I was apparently too lazy to say which one, sorry. It's the Nemo Nocturne 30. And no worries, I've gotten way more from this site than I've given. Now I get to spend the next year reading up on which kifaru pack/frame I'm getting for 2016 archery. Can never start too soon....right?