Gear review

After a successful hunt I always go thru my gear and think about what I want to change. Even though I had never hunted Alaska or sheep, I feel like I had my gear pretty well dialed in for the expected weather and hunt. I have done many backpack hunting trips and have focused on keeping my gear limited to only what I need and being light weight yet functional. Somewhere in this sheep forum is my gear list which I previously shared. My pack was 48 lbs when I stepped off and that included 3L or water, enough food for 5 days and my weapon/ammo. I trained all summer with 65 so was feeling pretty light. The low altitude 3-6k was nice compared to the high country elk and deer hunting I have done at 10+k. I got tired climbing but seemed to recover quickly.

-For the sheep hunt I wore FL corrugate pants. Comfort and fit for me are great. Just wished they had hip vents. I wore Kuiu attacks bear hunting and love the vents but they are not as comfortable.
-Kuiu peloton zipnoffs were handy. I also was glad I packed my UA down puffy bottoms for that cold night on the mountain without my tent/sleep system and a cold morning floating a river.
-Kuiu Chugach rain gear was perfect for this hunt and kept me dry the few rainy days
-I took two FL wick SS tees and swapped them out at the end of a big climb. Helped keep me from getting chilled by getting the sweaty one off.
I packed and often wore a FL fuse quarter zip. It is no barrier for those mosquitoes but a good base layer.
-My Klamath hoodie continues to be on of my favorite pieces of gear. Used for everything from bug protection to warmth. My guide has the Sitka version and seemed like he liked his as much as I liked mine.
-The Brooks down sweater was perfect for this hunt and I used it mostly while glassing or around the tent. Warmer than it looks and with the chugach over is great for warmth and wind. However, I don’t think it would be enough if temps were below freezing all day. The puffy pants and sweater were stuffed in sleeping bag’s roll top dry bag at night and became my very comfortable down pillow.
-I packed a camera but barely used it. Phone was my go to camera. I had a Anker power bank with me for the phone and InReach mini which gave me a couple recharges on the trip.
-I was very happy to have my own spotter. My Kowa TSN 554 is lightweight and gave me enough magnification to enjoy the sheep (obviously I wasn’t determining if they were legal).
-My biggest gear failure was my Tripod setup. I have a pro master 525 which I like but removed the 3 lower leg sections to lighten the weight. The legs ended up being too short for a stable glassing platform in several situations. I used the outdoorsman microhead and it was horrible. It does not move smoothly on either axis and fine adjustments while zoomed in are very difficult. Trying to digiscope with this head and keep Sheep zoomed and centered in the phone was frustrating. Next time I will pack the extra weight and include all leg sections and a fluid head.
-if money wasn’t a concern I would take 12x42s or 12x50s. My 10x42 ELs were ok but the additional magnification would be nice in the open country.
-My outfitter supplied a Tarptent Double rainbow. I prefer to sleep alone because I toss and turn a lot and just need a little space sometimes. I was pretty impressed with this single wall tent. Thank goodness it has a bug net built in. At 2.5 lbs it is very light, provides a lot of space for one person and provided good protection in the rain. We did not have any severe weather or wind so not sure how it would hold up.
-I was disappointed in my western mountaineering Apache 15 degree sleeping bag. I bought this because I was concerned my EE 20 degree quilt wouldn’t be warm enough. I am a cold sleeper and even with a 15 degree bag was chilled on a couple nights when temps were in the 30s. On the cool nights I had to sleep with base layers on. I think my quilt is actually warmer. For reference the pad I used was a BA AXL which I also use with the quilt. Glad it wasn’t any colder or I would have been sleeping in my puffies and without a pillow.
-Borah Bivy was very nice to have, especially for a couple mid day naps when the mosquitoes were hungry.
-By the way, carry lots of deet. I have traveled the world and this was the worst mosquitoes and gnats I have ever experienced. If there ever is a next time I will treat my clothes with permethrin.
-Carried a headlamp but never once used it
-kill kit. I left the game bags at home but used the havalon, extra blades, 550 cord, gloves and Bluetooth camera remote for my phone.
-Very happy with my L&S Mountain Hunter Elite boots. This is there second season and they felt great in the rocky terrain.
-EXO pack is great but I have been running one for 3 years so a bit biased. I did buy the 6400 bag just for this hunt since I normally run a 3500.
-A neck gator was a must. For warmth, protection from the bugs and sun or as a sweat band. I wouldn’t go without one.
-I carried a pair of Kuiu Yukon gloves but only wore them once. -I really liked wearing the mechanics wear fast fits. They add good protection, dry fast and held up great. Can’t beat them for a $10 glove.
-the pair of merino boxers and the socks I had on, plus two extra pair of socks was enough for me. One or two wipes a day kept the dingle berries away.
-I actually used my first aide kit. Somebody got bit by a havalon paranta while caping my sheep. Leuko tape, bacitracin and super glue.
-I can’t imaging climbing around in that terrain without trekking poles.
-I used my sawyer mini water filter a couple times when we really needed water and we could only find a stagnant pool.
-Wish I would have taken a light coffee cup with a lid. My toaks cup was ok and normally what I cook with but my guide had a reactor stove and my toaks never touched an open flame so it was used as just a cup.
-A little whiskey on the mountain was great and worth the weight.

Lastly, you guys never mentioned cooking the sheep ribs. Wow were they delicious.

Hope this helps some of the new sheep hunters. Happy to answer questions.
R/
Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snyd

WKR
Cool...

Sheep Ribs...Oh Ya!!

shp-Fst-03.jpg

Last edited:

daddie63

WKR
Appreciate the gear review follow up. Im taking notes if Im ever able to experience this adventure.

I’ll search out your gear list, I know I’ve seen it, but I have a few questions. Was the bug netting in the Tarptent plus the protection of the Borah Bivy needed? Seems redundant. I ask because I plan to use an MLD solo mid and bivy. 2nd, would you bring your own stove next time? Lastly, for now, would you add a light backpacking pillow next time? Thanks for the help.

OP
Marine4life
I’ll search out your gear list, I know I’ve seen it, but I have a few questions. Was the bug netting in the Tarptent plus the protection of the Borah Bivy needed? Seems redundant. I ask because I plan to use an MLD solo mid and bivy. 2nd, would you bring your own stove next time? Lastly, for now, would you add a light backpacking pillow next time? Thanks for the help.

The borah bivy was not needed. I took it because of the down bag just in case I needed an extra water barrier for severe weather. I really only used it for the afternoon naps while bear hunting after doing a couple long nights floating the river when I didn’t want to set up the Tarptent. Definitely needed at least one form of bug protection. High up on the ridges they were not that bad but down lower they were very annoying. It was extremely warm during my hunt.

I find my “puffy” pillow is much more comfortable and larger than my light weight inflatable pillow.
I would not bring my own stove. The MSR reactor was perfect for boiling water for 2-3 guys.

The borah bivy was not needed. I took it because of the down bag just in case I needed an extra water barrier for severe weather. I really only used it for the afternoon naps while bear hunting after doing a couple long nights floating the river when I didn’t want to set up the Tarptent. Definitely needed at least one form of bug protection. High up on the ridges they were not that bad but down lower they were very annoying. It was extremely warm during my hunt.

I find my “puffy” pillow is much more comfortable and larger than my light weight inflatable pillow.
I would not bring my own stove. The MSR reactor was perfect for boiling water for 2-3 guys.

Thanks, the help is much appreciated. Bob

Wapiti1

WKR
Cool...

Sheep Ribs...Oh Ya!!

shp-Fst-03.jpg

Showing off the ol' Sporthill pants in that one. Those used to be the go to option, but man they can get hot. I use my couple of pair for late season elk hunting.

Yes, the ribs are a treat. As are the tenderloins if you go that route. Rendered sheep fat in the Jetboil with cubed tenderloin is pretty tasty.

Jeremy

After a successful hunt I always go thru my gear and think about what I want to change. Even though I had never hunted Alaska or sheep, I feel like I had my gear pretty well dialed in for the expected weather and hunt. I have done many backpack hunting trips and have focused on keeping my gear limited to only what I need and being light weight yet functional. Somewhere in this sheep forum is my gear list which I previously shared. My pack was 48 lbs when I stepped off and that included 3L or water, enough food for 5 days and my weapon/ammo. I trained all summer with 65 so was feeling pretty light. The low altitude 3-6k was nice compared to the high country elk and deer hunting I have done at 10+k. I got tired climbing but seemed to recover quickly.

-For the sheep hunt I wore FL corrugate pants. Comfort and fit for me are great. Just wished they had hip vents. I wore Kuiu attacks bear hunting and love the vents but they are not as comfortable.
-Kuiu peloton zipnoffs were handy. I also was glad I packed my UA down puffy bottoms for that cold night on the mountain without my tent/sleep system and a cold morning floating a river.
-Kuiu Chugach rain gear was perfect for this hunt and kept me dry the few rainy days
-I took two FL wick SS tees and swapped them out at the end of a big climb. Helped keep me from getting chilled by getting the sweaty one off.
I packed and often wore a FL fuse quarter zip. It is no barrier for those mosquitoes but a good base layer.
-My Klamath hoodie continues to be on of my favorite pieces of gear. Used for everything from bug protection to warmth. My guide has the Sitka version and seemed like he liked his as much as I liked mine.
-The Brooks down sweater was perfect for this hunt and I used it mostly while glassing or around the tent. Warmer than it looks and with the chugach over is great for warmth and wind. However, I don’t think it would be enough if temps were below freezing all day. The puffy pants and sweater were stuffed in sleeping bag’s roll top dry bag at night and became my very comfortable down pillow.
-I packed a camera but barely used it. Phone was my go to camera. I had a Anker power bank with me for the phone and InReach mini which gave me a couple recharges on the trip.
-I was very happy to have my own spotter. My Kowa TSN 554 is lightweight and gave me enough magnification to enjoy the sheep (obviously I wasn’t determining if they were legal).
-My biggest gear failure was my Tripod setup. I have a pro master 525 which I like but removed the 3 lower leg sections to lighten the weight. The legs ended up being too short for a stable glassing platform in several situations. I used the outdoorsman microhead and it was horrible. It does not move smoothly on either axis and fine adjustments while zoomed in are very difficult. Trying to digiscope with this head and keep Sheep zoomed and centered in the phone was frustrating. Next time I will pack the extra weight and include all leg sections and a fluid head.
-if money wasn’t a concern I would take 12x42s or 12x50s. My 10x42 ELs were ok but the additional magnification would be nice in the open country.
-My outfitter supplied a Tarptent Double rainbow. I prefer to sleep alone because I toss and turn a lot and just need a little space sometimes. I was pretty impressed with this single wall tent. Thank goodness it has a bug net built in. At 2.5 lbs it is very light, provides a lot of space for one person and provided good protection in the rain. We did not have any severe weather or wind so not sure how it would hold up.
-I was disappointed in my western mountaineering Apache 15 degree sleeping bag. I bought this because I was concerned my EE 20 degree quilt wouldn’t be warm enough. I am a cold sleeper and even with a 15 degree bag was chilled on a couple nights when temps were in the 30s. On the cool nights I had to sleep with base layers on. I think my quilt is actually warmer. For reference the pad I used was a BA AXL which I also use with the quilt. Glad it wasn’t any colder or I would have been sleeping in my puffies and without a pillow.
-Borah Bivy was very nice to have, especially for a couple mid day naps when the mosquitoes were hungry.
-By the way, carry lots of deet. I have traveled the world and this was the worst mosquitoes and gnats I have ever experienced. If there ever is a next time I will treat my clothes with permethrin.
-kill kit. I left the game bags at home but used the havalon, extra blades, 550 cord, gloves and Bluetooth camera remote for my phone.
-Very happy with my L&S Mountain Hunter Elite boots. This is there second season and they felt great in the rocky terrain.
-EXO pack is great but I have been running one for 3 years so a bit biased. I did buy the 6400 bag just for this hunt since I normally run a 3500.
-A neck gator was a must. For warmth, protection from the bugs and sun or as a sweat band. I wouldn’t go without one.
-I carried a pair of Kuiu Yukon gloves but only wore them once. -I really liked wearing the mechanics wear fast fits. They add good protection, dry fast and held up great. Can’t beat them for a $10 glove.
-the pair of merino boxers and the socks I had on, plus two extra pair of socks was enough for me. One or two wipes a day kept the dingle berries away.
-I actually used my first aide kit. Somebody got bit by a havalon paranta while caping my sheep. Leuko tape, bacitracin and super glue.
-I used my sawyer mini water filter a couple times when we really needed water and we could only find a stagnant pool.
-Wish I would have taken a light coffee cup with a lid. My toaks cup was ok and normally what I cook with but my guide had a reactor stove and my toaks never touched an open flame so it was used as just a cup.

Lastly, you guys never mentioned cooking the sheep ribs. Wow were they delicious.

R/
Michael

Great write up and great insight.
I thought about doing this but with my lower experience I decided I wouldn’t. Great job, very informative and I liked how you laid it all out.

R/
Michael

Some great first-hand information here. Thanks for sharing.

DDD

FNG
That sounds awesome. My son and I are going on our first sheep hunt this season. Super excited.