Gear storage

I know Ive seen this mentioned before, but I need clarification. I have a new slick bag,"20 degree" coming, & I run a thermarest x-lite & a ti-goat bivy. Im wonderin , why not keep the slick bag & thermarest inside the bivy, roll it all up, slide it in a "Kifaru 5 string stuff sack" & carry it like that in the bottom of my ku 3700. Does anybody else do something like this? One concer n I have is the 5 string may somehow shorten the life of my x-lite. What say you?

TJ

WKR
I' don't have the X-lite but I do have an original Neo-Air. I started deflating my pad and putting it inside my bag and then into the stuff sack.

I don't see how that could do anymore harm than rolling it up an putting it in it's own stuff sack.

Just my 2 bits worth!!

OP
B
Thanx for the replies. The way I was going to go about, I would put the pad in the bivy & then the bag in the bivy, roll it up & slide it in the sack. The strings on the 5 string stuff sack would be tight against the x-lite with only the bivy sack between pad & the strings. I worry that the strings being tightened @ the same place on pad everytime would cause a cutting effect. I guess I don't have to tighten those strings nuts tight or for that matter, I could use a different type of stuff sack. I just thought it would b cool to b able to take the roll out of the stuff sack, toss it out there, blow it up & b ready, instead of taking everything out of each individual sack & assembling my bed each & everytime. Knowutimean?

littlebuf

Banned
that's how I pack my tent and pad, quilt and puffy jacket go in another 5 string. I don't think I could get them all in one

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm planning to leave my Xtherm and 30* Zpacks quilt inside of my Tigoat bivy and rolling the whole thing up together. I then plan to put them all into a stuff sack together. Littlebuf is going to let me try one of his five string sacks to see if it fits, so I know what size to order.

I'm not worried at all about stress on the gear in the stuff sack. It's all high quality hunting gear that I plan to use and it has to stand up to use.

OP
B
I have a small 5 string that my old "cats meow" fits in okay. My slick bag is supposed to get here on the 2nd & while the slick bag is a lot lighter than the old cats, Ill b able to chime in for what its worth, but Im bettin Ill b movin up in size. Let me know what works & what doesn't work for u Justin. Thanx.

littlebuf

Banned
badknees, im looking to go from a med to a small 5 string, let me know if your interested in a trade. one of the strings on mine broke but was repaired by kifaru

OP
B
badknees, im looking to go from a med to a small 5 string, let me know if your interested in a trade. one of the strings on mine broke but was repaired by kifaru

Talked to Aron a few days ago, about this & some other stuff, & Ive decided to skip the stuff sack & just put the slick bag & x-lite in the bivy sack, & just roll it all up or even just stuff it in the bottom of my pack. I was able to fit it all in a small 5-string, for what its worth. I think Ill keep my small 5-string for now,as Im also expecting a spirit quilt any day now, & Im thinkin Ill use the quilt in conjunction with the slickbag in cold weather, then if I kill something, I can put the quilt & maybe some clothes in the 5-string, & lash it somewear on the outside of my ku3700. When that quilt gets hear,(could b a couple more weaks) Ill play around with this stuff & let you know. That is if youre still interested by then.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
badkneesbro,
Sounds like you have a plan figured out. I did finally make it up to littlebuf's house Sunday night and I was easily able to fit my Xtherm sleeping pad, my 30* quilt, my Tigoat bivy and my cuben fiber tarp all in the medium Kifaru five string stuff sack. That is the way I'll be going this year.

littlebuf,
If you decide to just sell the extra stuff sack, let me know and I'll buy it.

littlebuf

Banned
after seeing Justin get all his gear in one med stuff sack I was inspired. so I rolled up my tarptent squall 2,rev x long wide 20* quilt,neo air xlite and neo air med pillow and was able to fit them all in one med 5 string with ease really. only took me a minute to get it stuffed in there and was able to compress the 5 string all the way. I guess I underestimated the pack ability of my gear and capacity of the med 5 string. Justin you can have my extra 5 string,. just grab it next time your over or ill get it to you before the rokslide hike

littlebuf

Banned
I did have the front support rod pulled from the tent but I always pull that when packing any way. I was pretty happy with how easy I got it all to fit and compress those 5 strings are awesome stuff sacks