Gear that worked/ didn't in Alaska

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I just got back from an Alaskan Caribou hunt at the end of September. I spent 7 days out in the rain, snow, sleet and 2 days of sunshine. haha. This was a hunt where you figure out what works and what does not.

CAMO- I was thoroughly impressed with my Sitka Coldfront tops and bottoms. Before the hunt, I bought these outrageously priced items in the hopes they would actually be as good as they claim. I also brought my lightweight rain gear and purchased a set of Helly Hansen because it was supposed to be a stormy hunt. I never felt the need to change out of the coldfront gear. I stayed dry, warm and I was able to wear it in temperatures from sub zero to 40*. Most I ever wore was some merino and a long sleeve shirt under the coldfront. WOW, this stuff is worth it's price and more.

BOOTS- I took waders, bogs muck boots and Kennetrek Mountain extremes. Barely used the waders but they worked when I did. I wore the Kennetreks for 1 day and quickly realized they are not the right boot for the hunt. My feet got a little cold and I was worried by mid day that they were about to start letting moisture inside. I waxed them multiple times before the hunt and also wore gaiters. ( Kennetrek gaiters were awesome). The Bogs boots were the go to and kept my feet warm and dry. They lack ankle support, so I think in the future, I will try and see if there is a pair of muck boots that offer a little more support. The Alaskan landscape is really unforgiving and when you find yourself needing to cross a bog, you know your life is about to suck until you reach the otherside.

BACKPACK- Kifaru Reckoning 24" composite stays. I have used this bag on many hunts and I really like it. It holds tons of gear and also is big enough to throw the meet inside the bag on the packout. This was my first hunt where I had to haul a decent amount of wait out of the field with the 24" frame. I had the 26" for 4 years and decided I should see if the 24" would do the same and have a slightly lower profile. The answer is NO. I got load out of the field, but getting load lift was difficult with the 24" stays. My pack was right around 100lbs for 6-7 miles of Alaskan hell. Damn those bogs. haha. I actually weighted the meet once at the lodge and confirmed my weights. I am 5'10" and I think a 26" frame is needed. Sucks to find out this fact when the packout is that far. haha.

Sleeping pad- Insulated static V. This pad is gonna get the boot. I had to re blow it up atleast twice a night. Not sure where it leaks from, I can not find it, but I am thinking it is the fill valve.

MARSUPIAL GEAR BINO HARNESS- I have been using this since it was developed and it has been super comfortable. I tried out the padded wider harness this time and it is even more comfortable than the original.

BLACK OVIS GAME BAGS- These are MONEY!! Super impressed, great bag, even the Grizzlies like them. ( lost the ribs to a grizzly over night).

INREACH- Priceless and really helped during the hunt. I downloaded some maps for it and bluetoother my phone to it. Works great and is much easier to operate from your phone.

SOTO Stove- By far the best stove I have used. Super light weight, push button ignition that lights EVERY time I push it. Did I mention it boils water faster than a mountain house goes thru you. ( now that's fast!!) Buddy had the MSR and we ended up using my stove every time after the first night. We could literally boil water twice on mine before his would get his water boiling.

I am sure there is a bunch more stuff I liked, but these are the things that stuck out to me. Thanks for the listen.

What did you use for water filtration? And food strictly mountain house? Great read man, congrats on the successful hunt!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I didn't purify water at all! I was quite a ways in the middle of nowhere and the outfitter said he never does anything with the water. I took my steripen, but never used it once. At one point we got pretty thirsty and our water had run out. The closest water I knew of came off of a small lake and went thru a bog. I decided to dip into that and the water had a REAL funky smell. We chose not to drink it and I quickly dropped in a tablet into the nalgene to clense it. Other than that oddity, all water sources were awesome.

Food was mountain house with Moose ground in 50% of them, multiple packs of pre cooked bacon to add to mountain house, instant mashed potatoes with moose grind and the best meal of all is when the outfitter moved us, his mother made some beans and meat with a side of coffee cake. That lasted a couple nights.

Wrench

WKR
You did good by not drinking that. I got some of that funkier smelling water on my skin and learned a hard life lesson. Itch fo days!

EcoastDG

FNG
I have the same sleeping pad and had the same problem with it leaking through the nozzle. I will probably switch to a Nemo.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Soto Wind Master
What MSR were you comparing it against? Also, what pot were you using. The MSR Reactor I use has been amazing, if your Soto is better I want to take a look at it! Fast boil is a good a thing! Did you use Soto fuel canisters?

What MSR were you comparing it against? Also, what pot were you using. The MSR Reactor I use has been amazing, if your Soto is better I want to take a look at it! Fast boil is a good a thing! Did you use Soto fuel canisters?
Not sure anything can be faster than an msr reactor. My buddies would boil a couple cups of water in under a minute it seemed like.

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I believe he has the whisperlite by MSR. The fuel was MSR brand fuel, low elevation usually right around 1800-3000 ft. Temps were between -5ish to highs some days in the high 30's I'd guess.

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I almost forgot about my Treking Poles. Easton compact carbon 5's. Love how small they fold up and how light they are. I was on my way out with a heavy load and frozen ground. That is when one of my poles lost the little plastic bottom that helps prevent the pole from just sticking in the ground. The other pole lasted about another hour before the plastic tip on the end busted off of that one as well. This SUCKED!! The poles would either have no traction or drive too deep in and make removing them tough.

I’m heading to Alaska next year and have the same boots. After buying them I’ve read some other reviews and comments similar to yours about them not being as great as expected. Makes me a little nervous to take them with me next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same sleeping pad and the same result on the first night of using it. Bought a thermarest On the first trip in town and have had no issues. Cabelas did refund me for the pad.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I love out of my extra Tuffs and my waders up here. I have nice mountain boots but they don’t see much use for ~ 8 months of the year.

Simms G3 waders and boots. Nothing better IMO. Waders were indestructible. Was initially worried when we would climb 50-80ft up a spruce tree in them or trail busting through alders . No need to worry, they were excellent.

Kenetrek Mtn Extreme: they were great on normal to rugged terrain. Where they absolutely failed...side hilling. My ankles rolled dang near every step. Anything other type of terrain and they were great. If you have to side hill, you will hate life.

Exped Downmat HL: best, warmest lightest weight backpackable size sleeping pad made, period.

Harris Bipod: complete crap. Started to rust within 24 hours of being in Alaska. I will never own another.

Leki trekking poles w ELD licking mechanism (don’t recall the model). Very convenient to pack up or deploy. Only negative is their minimum height can be to tallnif required to climb extremely steep terrain.

C Bow

WKR
Soto Windmaster is faster than msr reactor that is why I sold msr

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
You took three sets of rain gear and three pairs of boots to Alaska?
I actually brought only my ultra light rain set and the sitka cold front at first. When I arrived in Fairbanks, the local Wally world had the Helly Hanson, so I bought it thinking how shitty it would be if I did not bring it and ended up soaked. As far as the boots go, My outfitter recommended to bring waders, mucks and hiking. Depending on where the Caribou where in their migration would really determine which ones would be used the most. Since there was no weight penalty extra cost, I took all 3 in the field. First time in Alaska and going under prepared was my fear. Turns out, I had more clothes than I needed, hiking boots that I could have done without and rain gear that never got used.