Gear that Worked/Didn’t Work on Kodiak Bear Hunt

I just finished my successful Kodiak bear hunt and decided to post a thread on my gear and guide’s gear that worked and didn’t work. I hope someone benefits from the list. It isn’t intended to start any arguments.

What worked:

1. My Swarovski EL 10x42 binoculars. Awesome!
2. My guide’s Zeiss 10x42 binoculars.
3. My guide’s Swarovski ATX spotting scope.
4. My Schnee’s Granite II boots. I could stand in creeks for hours without getting my feet wet. They have great support and are very comfortable.
5. My White’s Outdoorsman Boots. Great boots.
6. Filson Sweaters. Kept me warm in all kinds of weather.
7. Filson Whipcord Wool pants. Comfortable and great in the wind. I wish Filson still made them.
8. LL Bean Whipcord wool pants. Just as good as the Filsons, but sadly they’re no longer made too.
9. Minus 33 wool socks. Great!
10. Marmot Never Summer sleeping bag. Kept me warm every night.
11. My guide’s Havalon knife. He skinned my bear with one blade.
12. Kuiu Yukon rain gear. Kept me warm and dry in both rain and snow.
13. My guide’s Alaska Guide Creations bino case.
14. My guide’s Frontier Gear of Alaska Barney pack. Carries everything needed.
15. My guide’s Jetboil stove. Awesome!
16. Leupold VX3 scope.

What didn’t work:
1. Leupold aluminum scope caps. They were very frustrating. They were popped open every time I looked down.
2. Badlands backpack. Way too small. Their quality control is also terrible! The webbing on one side is wrong.
3. Badlands bino case. Good idea with the magnetic closure, but not nearly as good as the Alaska Guide Creations case.
4. Cabela’s Alaskan Guide tent. The zippers are terrible and frustrating
5. Kuiu Yukon gloves. They kept my hands dry, but why would you put Velcro on a hunting glove?

eamyrick

WKR
Thanks for the info. I’ve also gave up on flip up scope caps after a trip last year as they never stayed closed. Cabelas makes a cheap neoprene Camo cover that protects the scope and comes off quickly.

I just finished my successful Kodiak bear hunt and decided to post a thread on my gear and guide’s gear that worked and didn’t work. I hope someone benefits from the list. It isn’t intended to start any arguments.

What worked:

5. My White’s Outdoorsman Boots. Great boots.
I used my White's Outdoorsman boots on my grizzly bear hunt and what a fantastic pair of boots. More folks should seriously consider these boots. Hand made in Spokane Washington. I suggest getting the Montana Claw Lug Sole also.

tyr264

FNG
Thanks for the great real use feedback. I’m curious about the issue with the Leupold scope caps. I have used the screw on Leupold magnetic scope lens covers for years and never had one pop open accidentally. I hunt PNW in bad weather, and they have performed perfectly. Is this the same one you had problems with? Maybe they changed something for the worse with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
The screw on ones are the ones I used too. They must have opened at least thirty times each day. They’re definitely coming off.

i have those alumina caps on quite a few guns and crossbows. hunt in some pretty nasty brush and greenbriars and never had one open. is it the eye or objective or both. wonder if something changed in how there made.

j33

WKR
Had a buddy spook a buck when he opened his scope caps...

I use a neoprene cover, 1oz, offers scope protection and quiet

Last edited:
Check that you haven't lost the o ring that goes around the cap. It can come off (had it happen only once) and without it, the caps pop open very easily.

OP
J
I threw the caps away as soon as I got home. That may have been the problem.