Gear theft and tent color

Vandy321

WKR
I have always had a tan or otherwise muted tent. I found a fantastic deal on a Soulo that I've been wanting to try, but its in red.

Aside from bugs (which aren't a factor here) being attracted to bright colored tents...do you feel like they attract people as well?

Is there any reason to think a red tent would contribute more to gear theft in the backcountry than a brown tent? Seems unlikely to me that someone would glass up your red tent across a basin and hike down with nefarious intent. Much more likely that someone stumbles across your setup in the timber and decides to see whats inside...in which case, color wouldn't really be the difference maker there.

I like subtle and muted, but the red hille is a great looking tent and could see it as a benefit if anyone in camp was ever in a SAR scenario. Could also be a lifesaver coming back to camp in a whiteout, sure we have GPS, but phones/handheld do die at times.

Last edited:
I put an orange cover on my backcountry 2 man tent. My theory is I want people to know I’m camping in the area, theory being they’ll be more likely to hunt another basin. I’m sure it does t work more than it does but it’s worth a try. If I’m camping I’m at least 6 or so miles back in extremely rough country so I’m not worried about anyone stealing my tent. Especially since if someone’s in that area they’re hunting and they’re not going to take the time to add the weight of a tent to their backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try not to leave gear and stuff strung all about to attract people.
But I think if someone is gonna steal your stuff there gonna steal it.
Maybe I'll completely flop after something happens to me.

I also don't think the muted colors hide as well as people think. I'm out there glassing up muted deer, elk.
If your shelter isn't in the brush im gonna see it.

The only piece of "gear" I have had stolen was a couple of nicer water bottles. When I was an adjunct professor I took an ROTC class to try and get some regular exercise, and we would go for runs early in the morning. I was slower than all of the ROTC kids, and by the time I got back from the run, my water bottle was gone. Happened to me twice (you would have thought I would have learned the first time :). Tons of kids would walk past/around that building, and I am sure one of them saw it when we were all running and just picked it up. I don't think the ROTC crowd would have done it. Last time I ever bothered buying an expensive water bottle.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I do wonder how frequent/infrequent actual theft is in the woods. I'm sure it's something I'm making out to be more of an issue than it really is, as I've never had anything stolen, nor known any that has.

I do wonder how frequent/infrequent actual theft is in the woods. I'm sure it's something I'm making out to be more of an issue than it really is, as I've never had anything stolen, nor known any that has.

It’s a big issue with road side wall tent type camps but in the backcountry I’ve never heard of any theft besides trail cams

bowonly

FNG
Just something to consider about bright colored equipment in the backcountry/ Wilderness is the visuals. We all would like to think we are alone out there. It adds to the experience for most, if not all folks. Think about blaze orange in bow hunting vs rifle hunting. When you crest that ridgeline and look into that remote basin, which adds to your experience, the natural view or the same view with blaze orange dots. Yeah, there maybe an advantage of knowing somebody else is in the area, but when you are talking real backcountry, you probably aren't going to relocate miles just because you see another hunter if the game is there.

Laramie

WKR
A couple "Smile, your on camera" signs seem to have worked for me. The color of your tent doesn't matter imo.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Just something to consider about bright colored equipment in the backcountry/ Wilderness is the visuals. We all would like to think we are alone out there. It adds to the experience for most, if not all folks. Think about blaze orange in bow hunting vs rifle hunting. When you crest that ridgeline and look into that remote basin, which adds to your experience, the natural view or the same view with blaze orange dots. Yeah, there maybe an advantage of knowing somebody else is in the area, but when you are talking real backcountry, you probably aren't going to relocate miles just because you see another hunter if the game is there.
Good point, but unrealistic to think a colored tent will ruin the backcountry experience. Most likely, that was already ruined by the 15 trucks at the trailhead, the horse trailers and wall tents on the road in and if that didn't get you, wait till you hear/see that 4 wheelers go ripping by on a closed trail after you just hiked 4 miles in.

rayporter

WKR
i believe things have changed over the years. when i took my first trip in 83 i was amazed at camps with gear out and tents open with rifles visible in them as i rode the trail.

the following year i was on my own and we were not wise to traveling in the high country. we got a late start and poked along [ also had some pack issues on the mules, but that is another story]

along about 4 or so we met some riders on the trail and stopped to talk about camps and trade info.

when they asked where we were headed one of them cocked an eye at the sun and mused "think your going to make it"
"not looking good " i replied.
he said they had a camp at the fork in the creek and we were welcome to use it if we needed to.

well by the time we got to the creek it was getting pretty dark and we checked their camp out,
rifles on their sleeping bags and all the gear in there. we tied up and unrolled our bags and pushed their gear to the side and spent the night. i left a note thanking them the next morning. we had passed another wall tent with a note on the door that said you could use it if you were in need.

now days i see pad locks on canvass tents.

I’d rather know someone else is in the area and hunt it differently than not know they’re there and feel like I’m alone just for giggles.

*zap*

WKR
Soulo is a great tent, it would be a shame to own one in a color that would not make me happy. Bottom line is what do you want for color that will make you happy and is a little more $ that much of a big deal for you?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I wouldn’t dare mess with somebodies camp, I believe that shit would get you killed here where I live. I assume others feel the same and I’ve never had an issue.

That being said, I don’t camp in areas where normal folks would walk to for fun. If you find my camp, you put in some miles on your feet or on a jet boat.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Soulo is a great tent, it would be a shame to own one in a color that would not make me happy. Bottom line is what do you want for color that will make you happy and is a little more $ that much of a big deal for you?

I’d love a yellow soulo, I have a green allak.

sndmn11

WKR

I wonder more so how many people lay eyes on a backcountry camp when we are away that we never have a clue were there.

I usually go for muted color tents, but I can see there being benefits to brighter colors. It's good in general for other hunters to know where you are, and I think in an emergency it would be very helpful to people trying to find you. I also agree that it probably doesn't matter much for people stealing, I think they'll do that no matter what.