Gear Thoughts. Kryptek.

Jakerex

WKR
All my hunting clothing is old, so I’m buying some new for my elk trip in late October to CO. I have some old browning uninsulated hydro fleece jacket and pants, and enough good base layers for a small army. Other than those items and some small game gear, that’s about it.

I bought a Kryptek Bora jacket and Alaios pants for this trip. I’m second guessing. Should I have went with the Kryptek Tora jacket and pants, or am I good with the Bora and Alaios? I was thinking the Bora jacket would be a good all around jacket for fall through the winter season, but the Tora seems lighter, which might be better if the weather is warmer. Most of my hunting is in western PA, other than this trip to CO.....which I hope to do annually.

Anyone have any experience with the Bora and Tora stuff side by side?

I also have packable rain gear I plan on carrying.

Yes it’s a ramble....lots of thoughts when spending this much money on clothing! I have the kryptek vellus stuff for stand hunting in the cold and really like the fit and quality, which is why I’m going Kryptek for this new stuff.

Basically, is the bora jacket and Alaios pant a good all around combo for late October / early November elk hunting.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Ordered the Tora pants too.

Blackovis has some good deals on this stuff. Got the Tora pants for only $130 something

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in responses. I was looking at the dalibor jacket or a kuiu kutana 3defx to round out my cold weather ableness for elk in that season

sneaky

"DADDY"
For late October in CO? Bora jacket over the Tora for sure. The Bora is pretty much waterproof, just doesn't have taped seams. You can encounter some nasty weather in late Oct. No way I would take the Tora jacket over the Bora for that time of year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Those of you with bora experience, does this thing tame down noise-wise with a couple washes and some wear? Pretty loud jacket brand new.

I got the tora pants and how I'm looking at the bora jacket. Not sure why, but the bora jacket just looks like a better fit. Ill probably end up with the bora pants too for these November mule deer hunts in WY.

I just dropped the coin on the takur pants and jacket. I'm more of a fan on layering underneath the rain gear. I don't have the luxury of more then one pair for early September or early November here in Oregon. So I rely more on layering then depending on insulation from the rain gear. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jhill1980

FNG
All my hunting clothing is old, so I’m buying some new for my elk trip in late October to CO. I have some old browning uninsulated hydro fleece jacket and pants, and enough good base layers for a small army. Other than those items and some small game gear, that’s about it.

I bought a Kryptek Bora jacket and Alaios pants for this trip. I’m second guessing. Should I have went with the Kryptek Tora jacket and pants, or am I good with the Bora and Alaios? I was thinking the Bora jacket would be a good all around jacket for fall through the winter season, but the Tora seems lighter, which might be better if the weather is warmer. Most of my hunting is in western PA, other than this trip to CO.....which I hope to do annually.

Anyone have any experience with the Bora and Tora stuff side by side?

I also have packable rain gear I plan on carrying.

Yes it’s a ramble....lots of thoughts when spending this much money on clothing! I have the kryptek vellus stuff for stand hunting in the cold and really like the fit and quality, which is why I’m going Kryptek for this new stuff.

Basically, is the bora jacket and Alaios pant a good all around combo for late October / early November elk hunting.

Thanks in advance.

Jake,
The Bora jacket is definitely a better option if you are pushing your hunt mid season to late season. There is a great Rokslide staff review here https://www.rokslide.com/2020-rokstaff-top-gear-picks/. I’ve run the Alaios pant for three years now. They are incredibly comfortable, durable, and the knee pads are a bonus if you are crawling/stalking. However, I don’t run them past mid season as they don’t do anything to cut the wind. I wear the Dalibor pants anytime after Mid October into late season. Your setup will work well in any conditions of you have a good insulating layer(down jacket, primaloft insulated, etc), and good base layers. Merino baselayers, puffy mid layers and your current Kryptek coat and pants are good pieces.

I have a very limited budget for hunting gear. But, have found quite a bit of great deals on Camofire.com. Most of my gear is Kryptek and has performed really well.

October? Colorado? I am working in southern CO and the RV park I stay at closes at the end of October because of the cold. I didn’t see any rain last year but it did snow in October.

Wrench

WKR
I ran the bora pants as a test to see if they were as described. I was impressed by everything but the fabric noise, a non issue for anyone beyond a bow hunter. I liked the pants so much that I bought the takur jacket.

You basically can't get wet in the takur and it took sitting in saturated ground for hours to get damp ass in the pants. I killed my bull at well below zero in the bora pants over down pants.

Pretty awesome, perfect if quieter.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I ran the bora pants as a test to see if they were as described. I was impressed by everything but the fabric noise, a non issue for anyone beyond a bow hunter. I liked the pants so much that I bought the takur jacket.

You basically can't get wet in the takur and it took sitting in saturated ground for hours to get damp ass in the pants. I killed my bull at well below zero in the bora pants over down pants.

Pretty awesome, perfect if quieter.

I was so impressed with the bora jacket that I’d buy the pants if I can find em on sale.
I have the tora and alaios pants, and to me there very similar for what they are. I’m sure if you get down to the nitty gritty, there is a difference......water repellentcy maybe, but they’re both lightweight pants with great maneuverability, breathability, and Knee pads (had to buy for alaios). The bora is a little thicker, leaning more towards a shell which would be nice for colder and wetter weather.

Unsolicited update on my Takur set I bought this fall after season. Just got to use them in an archery tournament a couple weekends ago...Absolutely love them. Not very cheap. But probably the best I've ever owned. Can't wait to try them out in spring bear season coming up. With layering underneath them I have zero concerns to run them in any temperature or weather setting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk