Gear to share with a hunting partner

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I was going over a gear list and I was wondering when hunting with a partner what gear do you share? I know 2 is 1 and 1 is none but what are some good things to share to save on weight? Things I've thought of so far, shelter, water filtration(we will both carry tablets as backup), spotter, grunt tube, archery tools, Satellite communication and toothbrush.

We will be doing a 7 day backpack hunt, probably working in a caller/shooter setup.

Toothbrush?? How about underwear too. :)

Tools to break animals down, and if you're really looking to shed wt. and plan on hunting together, one weapon (I have done this before), GPS/phone/camera, first aide kit.

reaper

WKR
always hunt solo but ill maybe try it next year,its hard to find someone with the same mentality,its been 4 years now and never found a great partner.I guess we will split the weight if its backcountry/backpacking hunting.Not a bad idea about to bring only one jetboil like Back country Hunter 2 said.If it will be cold,one pack the shelter and the other the wood stove.Overall its just comment sense,splitting gear,if the guy is your brother in law or your cousin you let him bring all the heavy stuffs lol!!!
I think i will just don't double an item,doesn't nee 2 GPS or two lantern for shelter,first aid kit things like that.

atcflick

FNG
A secret is to volunteer to load the gear in the truck. Reason being is a few treats are awesome on the mountain.... better if your partner packed them in for you haha.

Sleeping bag and cot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think it might be safe to hypothesize that you have a deeper and more fulfilling relationship with your hunting partner than I do with mine. Though, I did share my last bit of water and a granola bar when helping to pack out his elk two years ago. It was a good granola bar.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
A secret is to volunteer to load the gear in the truck. Reason being is a few treats are awesome on the mountain.... better if your partner packed them in for you haha.

My buddy's dad took his wife on a backpacking trip and packed her bag. After a day into a 5 day trip, he couldn't figure out why she was dragging so bad. He had packed all the small stuff in her pack and he took all the large stuff. At a water break he lifted her pack and realized she was carrying almost double his load. One example of the split he gave was, she had the cans of food, he had the loaf of bread.

Moral of the story, don't trust anyone to pack your gear.

tttoadman

WKR
cook stove:
Nice weather we will take one. late season we take 2. The second one is the tent heater.

water filter:
If there is water at base camp, we bring one. If we each to pick up water during the day, we will take our own.

primary shelter like a tipi.
In-Reach
printed maps(we only look at these at night to make a game plan for the next day)
game bags(we will bring enough for one animal and leave the rest at base camp)

My buddy's dad took his wife on a backpacking trip and packed her bag. After a day into a 5 day trip, he couldn't figure out why she was dragging so bad. He had packed all the small stuff in her pack and he took all the large stuff. At a water break he lifted her pack and realized she was carrying almost double his load. One example of the split he gave was, she had the cans of food, he had the loaf of bread.

Moral of the story, don't trust anyone to pack your gear.

Another moral to that story is, don't pack canned goods. Unless of course, it's your wife that's carrying that pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We share a water filter, jetboil, gps, InReach, tipi & stove, kill kit, camera, food bag haul rope (550 cord & biner).

Everything else is personal preference.