Gear Upgrades

There are a couple items I'm looking to upgrade this year. For some reason, evening's work best for me when hunting elk. I should just sleep in.

All my elk killing has happened in the evening so i seem to always be packing out at night. Not to mention I'm up and out before the sun comes up, and usually back to camp after dark.

My headlamp(s) have been adequate at best. Seemingly dimming faster than I want.

Recommendations for a good quality, long lasting, bright headlamp anyone?

Also ta n shelter. I've been using a typical 5x7 or 6x8 blue tarp semi light and packable tarp from Wally world or Sportsman's, but would like something UL and more packable.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Look at zebra lights for the headlamp and buy a couple of good batteries. Mine have been great.

Jimmy tarps is great value in simple shelters.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
+1 on Zebra Lights. I've got several different models, but I prefer the AA one that has the 80/20 flood with the hot spot in the middle in daylight color temp.

I work for Seek Outside, if you want to talk shelters give us a call sometime. Though I will say that if you're using a blue tarp now you can probably do fine with almost anything. It takes skill to make that work well.

I have enjoyed the rechargeable head lamps. I carry a 18000 Mah Battery pack to recharge all my electronics. I personally have used the Fenix brands for 5 years. Still have the original and it has not messed up yet. I too am more successful @ night. I also carry a small LED light from Harbor Freight in my kill kit. Its like $5. I hang that in a tree above me or on my pack shining towards the elk.

Rob5589

WKR
I use the Fenix HL60R, 5 settings with the brightest putting out a crazy amount of light, battery lasts seemingly forever.

OP
trophyhill
+1 on Zebra Lights. I've got several different models, but I prefer the AA one that has the 80/20 flood with the hot spot in the middle in daylight color temp.

I work for Seek Outside, if you want to talk shelters give us a call sometime. Though I will say that if you're using a blue tarp now you can probably do fine with almost anything. It takes skill to make that work well.

I looked at a couple of yours online actually. I think you have one for like $120 that is ultralight and very packable. The lil blue tarp days are fixin to be retired like my Bikini frame lol

Check out the Mountain Smith LT shelter. It was designed by Patrick Smith before he started Kifaru and is similar to the Paratarp with the vestibule built in and at a much lower price! You can find it on Amazon and Moosejaw often for less than. $100 and it’s a very well made. A true value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Zebralight. I have no experience with the Fenix lights mentioned above (I cant compare specs because Fenix uses candela for their specs), but I've tried petzl and black diamond and neither of them hold a candle to the zebralight. My personal favorite is the 18650 Floody in neutral white.

OP
trophyhill
Headlamps seem like such a minor thing. You can buy cheap at Home Depot. I bet I have 6 Energizer headlamps I've accumulated. I have a Milwaukee rechargable LED as well but it is heavy and the battery doesn't last

I just ordered a Zebralight. I have no experience with the Fenix headlamps but I do have extensive time with their tactical lights and they’ve all failed me at some point. I won’t buy another of their products