Gear you wish you wouldn't have bought

In lieu of Arons thread... This thought came to mind more so than what I wish I had back.

Name some gear you wish you never would have wasted your money on!
Think of some gear that has put you through horrible pain while packing/using it.
Think of some things you thought would be the CATS ASS until you learned more about backpacking and wish you never would've dove in to!

I'll start
Eureka 3 person backpacking tent- This thing was a backpacking tent for 3 people right? Wrong. It was about good enough for 1.5, and weighed 8 lbs packed.
USGI poncho- I know some people love them... And it is multifunctional and what not. But for a backpacking hunt you can find much better lighter alternatives.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will play! Really been pretty lucky, despite quite a bit of "horse trading" with my gear over the years (thanks Luke!) I can't think of very many purchases that I would like to take back entirely....

Zamberland hiking boots (I forget what model): I bought these (at full retail no less) on the advice of a shoe salesman at rei after I first met Luke and started getting outdoors. Despite many attempts at breaking them in, they never did fit me right. The last straw was a 7 day backpacking trip we had to abort after only a single night after they wore holes the size of quarters in the back of both of my feet. Rei did give me a full refund on my money, but there is no way to compensate for the lost time/trip.

S4 Rangefinder retriever. Doesnt seat very well and I didn't need the extra weight.
Any clothing that doesnt shed stickers.

bbrown

WKR
Ski - could not agree more!!!

Second would have to be a pair of Cabelas brand boots to looked identical to a pair of Danners I had been wanting but being a broke ass college kid could not afford. They looked the same but were half the cost.... what could possibly go wrong right?
The sole on one boot literally fell off on the first after couple miles on the first day. Never again!!!!

Sitka 45 backpack. Uncomfortable with anything over 40-45lbs or so, and both of the arm straps ripped off on me.
KUIU Icon backpack, but that was more so my fault. After looking at it I did not think it would fit me, but I let myself be talked into it.....it didn't fit. Still wish I had not bought it though.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Asolo FN 95 or whatever boots they are. Well made boot, just didn't fit my feet, can't fault the boots for it, but still wish I didn't buy them but only one way to find out.

c5mrr270

WKR
My wife's badlands Kali back pack. Rubs the back of her neck raw. Also the frame has partially come apart.

gotllamas

FNG
Just two:

1. Eberlestock Blue widow pack. Any wieght over 40 pounds was horrible and the load lifters are worthless.
2. Kenetreck Hardscrabble boots. First pair of boots that put blisters on my feet. I mean my whole foot.

edg1967

WKR
A Blue Widow, Badlands 4500, 2200, 2800 another 4500 (I'm a slow learner) Just One pack. S4, Badlands & Sitka bino harnesses...FNF seems the way to go. A couple Sierra Designs tents.

I've learned not to let my wife see what I buy now... Not that I care if she knows what I spend, but to avoid the ridicule when "the best (add product here) ever" gets boxed & sold to someone else at a significant loss.

I won't even try to go through my list of clothing.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
I once went back to Europe, and had one thing on my list... a pair a full-leather Meindl boots. I bought them for about $525, but unfortunately Meindl had gone from a lady's and men's line to a unisex line, and they did not fit the same. I wore them just the same and went through a lot of hurt. But you just don't cast aside a pair of $500 boots. Then my wife set them to dry close to the fire, and the leather cracked. And that was that.

Frans

I have spent so much money over the last 10 years it scares me. Thinking about it I must be a real slow learner. Luckily I have found some good forums like Rokslide to tap into other peoples knowledge and experiences by people that actually use the gear they are talking about. Some of my regretable purchases have been; Blacks Creek Canadian and Western packs, Badlands 2200 and Diablo packs, Eberlestock Blue Widow and X2. It wasn't until I started using a Mystery Ranch G6000
that I learned the importance of functional load lifters. I have since sold all the packs that didn't work so well and ordered a Kifaru Bikini frame and Duplex timberline 1 bag. As much as I like buying gear i hope this is the last pack I buy for a while.

Cheap cotton clothing from cabelas and cheap boots and badlands ox too heavy,Sitka 45 junk now i research thoroughly before I buy anything.

You know I would have to agree with s4 sidewinder for junk and now I'm a lil hesitant on my blue widow pack I used it this for a 4 day backpack trip and wasn't that bad but then I didn't know anything about kifaru :/ so ya we'll see about that blue widow pack definitely want a kifaru but that s4 sidewinder is junk and definitely a waste of money in my opinion

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Bad lands 2800, Cabelas Alaskan frame and bag, Elberstock x2, Elberstock BW went through lots of packs i hated till i got my first Kifaru, ku 3700. and Now i have a T2 and im in love. Lots of crappy boots to, Rocky's come to mind.

Blurtex 10x56 binos.

Im sure there is tons more but those come to mind right away.

Lorne

ams

WKR
Cheap boots from Big-5 labeled "hunting boots", cheap rain gear from Kmart, and an Alps clearwater sleeping bag. All of these items went on a trip with me in my home mountains....... I still remember the cold, wet, and feet being to jacked up to hike out that first night.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
A few more:

Cabelas Dry-Plus rainwear. Moisture fills the cuffs and get sucked up into the liner, as high as above the elbow and knee. It's also heavy. As a plus, it is windproof, and quiet, so I will still use it, but there is much better raingear out there.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. Great little tent, but unfortunately too small. That didn't really sink in until I got weathered in one hunt. Within 30 min I was outside, trying to stop the claustrophia-induced anxiety. It's just too small to do anything else than sleeping. The vestibule just fits backpack and boots, over which you find yourself stumbling when you have to go out for a pee at night. But it is incredibly light, and that is why I bought it. I should have bit the bullet and bought a 2-person.

Frans

2rocky

WKR
The Big 5 propane camp stove. Putting out the fire from the fuel line leak got my heart rate WAY up!

Polypro sock liners. For 2 years now I still have them in my drawer but hate the clammy feeling when I wear them.

The $99 "zero Degree" sleeping bag, and the REI Bivy Sack. That combination had sheet ice inside it in a wall tent in Wyoming in 2006.

I wish I'd upgraded one size on my Kni-Co wall tent stove from the Packer to the Alaskan. It is still good though..

The Crooked Horn High Country Extreme Backpack.

One bow that is not a Hoyt. When I replaced the second set of limbs, it went right on EBAY. Cost me an archery tournament.

Chugach Rain gear in the Grey color that is now discontinued. Like the raingear just not the color.

Under Armor stretchy gloves. Too dang hard to get on and off.

That Primos bow sling.

Every non-insulating "hunting vest" I've bought Too many pockets. I'm tired of "losing" stuff that I still have.