Gearing up for the opener in MT. Looks like its going to be warm one again...

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a few spots picked out and headed out this weekend to check a few more. What's interesting is when I scouted a few weeks ago, I saw more elk hanging around on a ranch mid-morning and even in the afternoon than i did in the mountains, seemingly bucking the trend that elk stay in dark, north-facing timber when its hot. I'm guessing its a food thing since it's been pretty dry.

I'm extremely limited in my ability to "go deep" or go for long periods of time as my wife is due with our first in October and would prefer me being in service and available if necessary. So I figure if I can catch the elk moving between public and private, I have a good chance at either-sex.

Does this seem like a viable plan? Still consider myself a novice hunter so I'm just trying to learn.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
I mean if you’re finding them in an area you’re comfortable hunting that’s a pretty good starting point.

I have to work on the opener, should be out Sunday and Monday though. I’m going to start chugging water now…wonder if I can sidehill in flip flops

11boo

WKR
Good luck man. We are hoping for a break in the rain to make camp.
Congrats on the baby!

Western Colorado.76D8F9F6-ACF7-4E42-9D9B-CB499E7E3585.png

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I mean if you’re finding them in an area you’re comfortable hunting that’s a pretty good starting point.
They are definitely around. I guess I'm concerned about the heat. It's not going to be blazing hot, more like in the 70s. No standing water but quite a few springs and pretty green north slopes that are shaded. Figure I'll creep around and let out cow/calf calls. See if that moves anything.

ElkNut1

WKR
You are best suited for best results to have a Setup & let the elk come to you. Moving around & letting out a cow call randomly will net you little, a good setup with some serious cow chatter as described below is a much better strategy! Good luck!

Cow Party Sequence!

This Sequence is utilized when elk are fairly quiet or actively rutting, so can be used when any elk are within earshot.

I prefer hearing a bugle nearest bedding areas as you know elk are there & will remain there for many hours. A distance of 250+yards or so is just fine, stay out of the actual bedding area & setup on perimeter, I've pulled elk in over a 1/2 mile away so being real close is not necessary, get the wind right & a GREAT Setup spot where any approaching Bulls/Cows cannot see source of calling without being in your effective range.

Once set up with the wind/cover right; you'll want to imitate as many cow sounds as you can with two or more cow calls, especially if solo. You will imitate social, cow, calf, regathering mews & just a couple contact buzzes every two minutes. Getting Excited/Crazy with the calls is ok---- The ElkNut App Video will show this demonstration to a tee.

If multiple hunters with a couple cow calls each, you guys will sound like a chorus of cows as you cast your chatter left, right & behind you. (No Bugling) Change volume, pitch & tone as you make it sound realistic. Do this for 5 - 6 minutes, wind it up & wind it down. You can randomly toss out a cow call or two over the next 2 - 5 minutes letting other elk know you are still there & possibly bedding there.

Be mindful if multiple callers that they face each other 5-10 yards apart, this gives you a 360 view for those elk that show where you didn't think they would! Sit & wait. Stay FOCUSED & DO NOT MOVE AROUND!!! Most Elk will come in silent & show up within 20 minutes but wait for 45min to 1 hour!
Super deadly tactic! (A big mistake would be to do this at a 100 yards or so from the elk, it's just too close) Again, the ElkNut App Video portion shows how to call & setup!

ElkNut

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
You are best suited for best results to have a Setup & let the elk come to you. Moving around & letting out a cow call randomly will net you little, a good setup with some serious cow chatter as described below is a much better strategy! Good luck!

Cow Party Sequence!

This Sequence is utilized when elk are fairly quiet or actively rutting, so can be used when any elk are within earshot.

I prefer hearing a bugle nearest bedding areas as you know elk are there & will remain there for many hours. A distance of 250+yards or so is just fine, stay out of the actual bedding area & setup on perimeter, I've pulled elk in over a 1/2 mile away so being real close is not necessary, get the wind right & a GREAT Setup spot where any approaching Bulls/Cows cannot see source of calling without being in your effective range.

Once set up with the wind/cover right; you'll want to imitate as many cow sounds as you can with two or more cow calls, especially if solo. You will imitate social, cow, calf, regathering mews & just a couple contact buzzes every two minutes. Getting Excited/Crazy with the calls is ok---- The ElkNut App Video will show this demonstration to a tee.

If multiple hunters with a couple cow calls each, you guys will sound like a chorus of cows as you cast your chatter left, right & behind you. (No Bugling) Change volume, pitch & tone as you make it sound realistic. Do this for 5 - 6 minutes, wind it up & wind it down. You can randomly toss out a cow call or two over the next 2 - 5 minutes letting other elk know you are still there & possibly bedding there.

Be mindful if multiple callers that they face each other 5-10 yards apart, this gives you a 360 view for those elk that show where you didn't think they would! Sit & wait. Stay FOCUSED & DO NOT MOVE AROUND!!! Most Elk will come in silent & show up within 20 minutes but wait for 45min to 1 hour!
Super deadly tactic! (A big mistake would be to do this at a 100 yards or so from the elk, it's just too close) Again, the ElkNut App Video portion shows how to call & setup!

ElkNut
This is excellent information. Can’t wait to try it next weekend!