Gearing Up.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Been reading thread after thread of bag dumps and gear recommendations and I’m finally all set... I think, lol!

The wife bought me a pack. Eberlestick Little Big stop and the F1 Mainframe. I know they don’t get much press here but it’s my first trip for elk and a gift so I’m going with it.

I have a two man tent, sleeping gear, fire kit, kill kit, first aid kit, smalll pack of toiletries, power bank, GPS unit, water system, various hanks of cordage, two headlamps, a stove and water boiling set up, and plenty of base layer and outer gear.

Been shooting in the yard for weeks. Broadheads are flying well. Bow is quiet and has all new cables and string. Humping a weighted pack every other day. Doing cardio. Eating clean.

A buddy and I are hunting together in CO. Five days in September.

Just trying to figure food. My plan is 3500-4000 calories a day. Pack each days food in a gallon zip lock bag. I like coffee so I’m taking my favorite instant. Two cups a day. I like the MH meals so that’s my hot end of the day meal. Power bars, trail mix, maybe some jerky. Trying to come up with a meal plan that works. I’m not picky. But trying to cram 4000 calories in a gallon plastic bag seems hard and I’m looking for high quality not sugar.

Other than that I’m about set I think.

There are a lot of good threads on here about food. The 2 big keys are shooting for 100 calories or more an ounce, and packing what you like to eat. If you follow that, you should be ok.

If you're more of a YouTube kind of guy, this is a good video. It's Jason Harrison and what he packed for a sheep hunt.

ChrisAU

WKR
That’s a lot of Calories, we shoot for 2200-2500/day. We had to force ourselves to eat that much last year. Which that was my first time out, so small sample size.

Nuke Man

WKR
Yea that's alot of calories for me. I am going for 2k to 2300 per day. And I probably will have some left over.
I like to put together my own freezer bag meals. Lots of stuff on youtube, just look up all the hippie hikers on the Appalachian trail thru hik videos. They like to eat good!
Ramen Bombs are one of my favorites.

Wow! No wonder I lose so much weight every year! I'd be lucky to have half the calories in that video! However having a truck camp as well as a Backcountry camp and hunting back and forth, I see lots of calories and a couple Ribeyes when at the truck ;)

Wacm

FNG
If you’re only staying for 5 days that’s a little overkill on the calories. Take the normal stuff,Mountain house,beef jerky,some protein bars you’ll be fine.

OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I guess i was going pretty high on the food intake. If in went with 2000-2500 that would make more sense. Like I said I’m not picky. The 100 calories an ounce seems like a great starting point.