Gen 2 Tacoma Reliability?

Brendan

WKR
So, are these things bomb proof and worth it for a "long term" truck if you take care of them?

The back story is this, I have a chance to get one with a stick, crew cab, 5' bed and ARE cap, and 40K miles on it waaaaay below current market value. Basically - it's my dad's and he can't drive the stick anymore because of a knee injury. Not sure which engine, I'd need to check, but basically I know the entire vehicle history. Right now it sits in a garage all winter every winter when they do the snowbird thing and head south to FL.

I've been having the dilemma that I'd really like a full size, 6.5' bed, but I don't want to pay 60K+ for a truck that I'm going to be worried about longevity after about 150K miles. Wondering if I just buy the Taco - do it up with bumpers, lift, tires, roof rack, and then I could trade in the current Jeep GC on a civic or something like that to avoid pumping up the miles on the Taco, and I'd probably come out way ahead of buying a new full size pickup. Also, I don't have anything heavy I'm towing right now - mainly the occasional utility trailer or small boat so towing capacity not a factor.

Thoughts?

southLA

WKR
I've got 180k on my 2011. Only things besides oil, tires, and brakes have been a front wheel bearing and the old leaf springs (both changed by previous owner).

fatlander

WKR
I’m pretty positive, if it’s 4WD, it’s the 4.0 V6.

Knock on wood, I’ve done nothing but change the oil in my 2011 taco. 145k and going strong.

If you end up not wanting the truck, let me know. I’ll come buy it if I can get the same WKR friends and family discount lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Buy it. Buy it now. I'm just shy of 200K miles on my 2011 4WD SR5 quad cab. Oil, brake pads, tires, a battery....they are pretty much bulletproof. I would check the VIN and see if it falls under the frame corrosion service bulletin.

If you decide you don't want it, let me know. I'd love to get in on the friends and family discount. ;)

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Found the VIN - had it buried in email from helping my parents with paperwork some years back. 2014 Tacoma Base, 4.0L V6, 6MT, Part Time 4x4, Tow Package, Electronic XFer Case, Limited Slip according to Toyota. Has leather and bucket seats in the front (unless I'm losing my mind - drove it once earlier this summer).

Didn't know about the frame corrosion, but running the VIN with Toyota gives me "There are no open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for this vehicle."

Literally my only regret is I'd prefer a truck I can sleep in the back easier - I'm close to 6' and a 5' bed isn't ideal. But honestly, if I set something up right, I want it to last more than anything. Seems like I should make this happen.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I'd buy it. If you're planning on all the add-on's (lift, tires, bumpers, etc) plan an extra 2-3K for a regear. It will be worth every penny.

I know you mentioned it has a topper already, so if you're worried about sleeping in the back look into a rooftop tent or gofast camper.

Enjoy your new truck!

cjdewese

WKR
Like everyone else said yes it's reliable. I had an 09 with 256k on it when a motorcycle totaled it. Still running strong and just performed general maintenance.

hunterjmj

WKR
I ran an 97' to 297,000 miles then totaled it. Never a problem besides that. Had a 2004 until we had kids and couldn't fit car seats in the back. Never had issues with either of them. Now I run a full size crew cab for kids and hauling stuff.

StickSlingers

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2008 trd off road 4.0 v6 with 350,000 miles on it all original, only general maintenance and wear parts replaced, no major repairs. I run it hard everywhere, and it spends at least 1/4 of its time hunting rough country. I don’t baby it at all, but i do really maintain it well inside and out. I would buy one again for sure. It’s never stranded me and I’ve driven it every day since 2008

barlowrs

FNG
My 06 with almost 200K miles on it and VAST majority of those have been in 4wd low beating the crap out of her. She ALWAYS gets me where I want to go and more importantly, gets me home. I have never had any major issues.

If you have the means, as was mentioned above, you can get a RTT for sleeping, or go my route, I run a flippac (not made anymore), but you can look at Adventure trailers Habitat, which is essentially the same tent/cab as mine, just an updated version. Full sized bed and sets up/tears down MUCH faster than RTT.

FB_IMG_1596138225078.jpgFB_IMG_1596138070438.jpg

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Ok - thanks everyone. You've all sold me. I think it's just a matter of when (it just went into storage in an unused garage until spring) and then what I want to do with it.

Not a fan of the plastic bed liner so that probably comes out and get it Line-X'd, 100% needs better wheels and tires, so probably a minor lift too. After that, bumpers, sliders, lights, then I have to figure out roof racks or if I want to do some form of a RTT or just stick with the topper.

I really like having roof space for storage and racks, and keeping a lower profile day to day, so may try to make do with the topper, maybe a small slide-out extension for sleeping, and could always look for a small camper trailer.

They are solid, you will get 200k out of it easy. Issues? The only issues on the second gens were.

- Wheel bearings, for whatever reason, these models were subject to wheel bearing replacements.
- Temperature gauge would go out (hot solder disconnect)
- Paint was shit, it will go eventually clearcoat
- AC units would go out

tony

WKR
Had an 09 6 speed ext. cab. Real love hate with it.
Clutch recall, gas pedal recall, rear spring recall, seat belt recall.
1st was a 2 day repair, 2nd.they literally cut the gas pedal in half. That was back when people were to damn stupid to put the mat under the pedal.3rd replaced the belts. Springs I did myself, dealer gave me the parts.
Loved the 4.0, easiest oil changes on the planet. Horrible gas mileage.
Frame rust was starting, reason I traded it in. I guess Toyota has finally fixed that?
I wanted another 6 speed and was looking when I bought my ranger. Toyota was really proud of those trucks, as I got the ranger a lot cheaper.

Best thing I can say is check the frame real well.

- Wheel bearings, for whatever reason, these models were subject to wheel bearing replacements.
- AC units would go out

Wheel bearings - yup
Temp gauge - yup; there is an aftermarket part on Amazon I bought after repairing the OEM twice. Surface mount solder is a PITA for a dude like me.
Paint - yup, mine needs painted
AC - had issues with my blower fan rheostat, replaced that as well. Think there might be other issues tho too. Sometimes have to slam the glove box shut to get the fan to come on. The actual AC compressor has been fine.

I have some bad luck with mine. 2006 DCSB 4x4, bought it used with 125k miles on it. Been having intermittent trouble starting that so far no mechanic or the dealership can figure it out. It’s eating through starters. Having another guy look at it today, I’m really sweating because I’ve got another 4 weeks of hunts coming up. If I can get this figured out, I will try and drive it into the ground because I do love everything else about it.

barlowrs

FNG
ot a fan of the plastic bed liner so that probably comes out and get it Line-X'd,

The 2nd gen tacoma shave a composite bed, its not a plastic liner, the whole bed is made of composite, so you cannot remove it. yours may come with a rubber mat on the bottom (it was an option), but there was no bed liners. The composite bed was a bit of a worry for people when the 2nd gens first came out, but they have proven to be durable.

I've got a 06 that has been my good buddy over the years. The frame was replaced under the rust recall, kinda wild they did that

barlowrs

FNG
They are solid, you will get 200k out of it easy. Issues? The only issues on the second gens were.

- AC units would go out

- Wheel bearings - Yup, but I always assumed it was from running E rated 34" tires through a TON of mud and nasty crap. But for what its worth, it takes me about 2 hours in the driveway to replace them. I also burn through CV boots like they are going out of style due to my lift. Good silicon inner boots help, but outer boots still tear. You just get good at replacing boots and swapping CVs, haha. That is only an issue with a lift.
- Temperature gauge - Yup, but if your is base model, I don't think you will have this. if you do, its an super easy fix as has been described above.
- Paint was shit - Never heard of this, no problem with mine and 10 yrs of its life was an outside truck in So Cal sun. BUT, I NEVER wash it, so its got a good layer of dust and dirt on it. I always joke its sunblock for the paint, but maybe there is truth to that!
- AC units would go out - No issues on mine