Gen 2 Tacoma Reliability?

They are solid, you will get 200k out of it easy. Issues? The only issues on the second gens were.

- Wheel bearings, for whatever reason, these models were subject to wheel bearing replacements.
- Temperature gauge would go out (hot solder disconnect)
- Paint was shit, it will go eventually clearcoat
- AC units would go out
Yup, done wheel bearings. Temp gauge has been an issue and I've resoldered it myself a few times. Paint has some of the peeling but who cares on my old beat up truck. My AC failed and I had to replace the condenser.

Leaf springs and frame replaced under recall

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
The 2nd gen tacoma shave a composite bed, its not a plastic liner, the whole bed is made of composite, so you cannot remove it. yours may come with a rubber mat on the bottom (it was an option), but there was no bed liners. The composite bed was a bit of a worry for people when the 2nd gens first came out, but they have proven to be durable.

Ok - have to check that. I remember looking at it thinking it was warped and there was a space between the "liner" and the actual bed. But, not being mine I wasn't looking that closely at the time.

barlowrs

FNG
Ok - have to check that. I remember looking at it thinking it was warped and there was a space between the "liner" and the actual bed. But, not being mine I wasn't looking that closely at the time.
Though I suppose its possible they added a liner, but I am not sure if companies even make them. I know a lot of people mistake the composite bed for a liner though since its not metal like people are used to.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I ran my brother's '03 this season and brought to my mechanic. It had the temp gauge issue and was an easy fix I was told. It's a solid truck and got me into some great areas. I'd buy that truck in a heartbeat if I were you. I'm actually looking for one for myself as I have to give it back in a 11 days. :(

AKG

FNG
I had a 2011 that got totalled and now have a 2015, I made it to 130k miles on both now. Muddy here spring and fall, salted roads in the winter. I've replaced a front wheel bearing on each and have also replaced 4wd actuator on both as well. If it comes with rear locker make sure you use it routinely to avoid it seizing/failing. I have had a pulley or belt whine on both in wet weather which I haven't addressed. Rear leaf spring replacement through dealer. Rear springs are pretty squeaky which is annoying. Plan for both of them was/is to run until they're dead. Fuel economy isn't great, but Tacoma's, these or previous ones have never left me stranded.

Macintosh

WKR
Sounds like you are doing it...seems like a good move. I figure a used vehicle with a known history is a totally different animal than a random used vehicle anyway, and if its a good deal then its a no-brainer. I'm no fanboy of these and I think the reputation for reliability is overblown, leftover from the pre-tacoma and gen1 days, but most seem to be good trucks. We had early and moid-90's toyota trucks that were great, and both got replaced with gen2 tacomas. Between the two we found some common themes in needing work on them, although we each had other issues too. In no particular order:
A/C went out on both of ours at about 60,000 miles. Other friends also had theirs go out.​
leaf springs are simply a poor design. We both had recall fixes on leaf springs early-on, and then proceeded to break several sets of them. My 06 I went through 4 sets of leaf springs. My wifes 3 sets. I have numerous friends who drive tacomas and most had leaf spring issues at some point. Note, I mean we BROKE leaf springs, I am not talking about the squeak.​
frame rust was definitely an issue, although we live in Northern new england where the vehicle is caked in frozen salt-slush for 6 months out of the year. Toyota replaced both our frames under their recall....still havent worked out the math on that, but appreciated that. Brake lines, etc were extra.​
I had the front differential go bad on mine--broken gear or something, had to replace it.​
We both had rust issues on the steering rack that needed replaced​
My wifes needed head gasket seal replaced at about 130,000 miles​
Mine needed the steering column u joint replaced at about 120000 miles​
I want to say there was another relatively major issue with one, but cant recall what it was. In short, they are pretty reliable vehicles, but the "just gas/oil it and it'll go forever" thing is a myth as far as my experience has borne out. Luckily the Ac, leaf springs are pretty cheap fixes in the scheme of things, and it seems most folks dont have the other major issues. I certainly would not avoid them, any company kicks out a turd once in a while and toyota seems to do so less than some others.
My vehicle I sold at 160,000 miles after I got a bigger boat and needed a larger tow vehicle. My wifes had to be towed away at a little over 200k miles. She replaced it with a newer tacoma which she likes.

Last edited:
I've got an 09 with 170k, it's been great so far with just regular maintenance. Just replaced the cv boots and upgraded the shocks at the same time. My wife has a '10 with 200k and it's been the most trouble free vehicle we've ever owned, all it's ever had done was regular maintenance and a set of u-joints at about 125k.

tony

WKR
The rear spring squeak is a known and easy fix. Toyota has a replacement pad kit that changes out the small hard ones.
Couple crowbars and jack the ass end up and let the wheels/axle droop. Spread the springs, give em a shot of brake cleaner and put the new pads in.

TRD1911

WKR
200k on my 2010 4.0 v6. only needed general maintenance and replaced the door lock actuators. no major surgery at this point

Macintosh

WKR
The rear spring squeak is a known and easy fix. Toyota has a replacement pad kit that changes out the small hard ones.
Couple crowbars and jack the ass end up and let the wheels/axle droop. Spread the springs, give em a shot of brake cleaner and put the new pads in.
Not sure if this was responding to my post or a different one, but there are 2 different spring issues, the squeak, and the breaking. I never worried about the squeak that much, although there was a bulletin on it. However, I actually broke 4 leaf springs, my wife broke 3, and we don't do anything that isnt considered pretty normal in a state with a lot of dirt roads. It's a normal-enough issue that the local spring and chassis company keeps tacoma leaf springs in stock. It wouldnt keep me from owning one, but it was kind of annoying and good to keep in mind in case it happens you know to look for it. I think I paid $180 or so installed the last time, which would have been 2016 or 2017.

mflo

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have some bad luck with mine. 2006 DCSB 4x4, bought it used with 125k miles on it. Been having intermittent trouble starting that so far no mechanic or the dealership can figure it out. It’s eating through starters. Having another guy look at it today, I’m really sweating because I’ve got another 4 weeks of hunts coming up. If I can get this figured out, I will try and drive it into the ground because I do love everything else about it.
Replace your engine to frame ground cable with something heavier duty (and make sure the connections are clean and actually grounding). I'd bet $20 that your problem is a bad ground.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
Replace your engine to frame ground cable with something heavier duty. I'd bet $20 that your problem is a bad ground.
I might need to try this with my fj80. Sometimes cranks on the first try.
Sometimes takes 20+ tries.

jayhawk

WKR
They are solid, you will get 200k out of it easy. Issues? The only issues on the second gens were.

- Wheel bearings, for whatever reason, these models were subject to wheel bearing replacements.
- Temperature gauge would go out (hot solder disconnect)
- Paint was shit, it will go eventually clearcoat
- AC units would go out

+1 on the paint and A/C. I've even seen Camrys and other Toyotas do this with the clearcoat, and I've seen several Tacomas with A/C controls that didn't work properly.

Overall though, buy it. No truck is perfect and they're good little rigs.

ElkNut1

WKR
Buy it for sure or I will. Ha Ha!

1993 hunting rig with 308,000 --Had a 2005 Tacoma with 140,000 not a single issue! Sold it! Had several others over the years all being very good rigs!

ElkNut

handwerk

WKR
I can't think of a truck with a better record than the gen 2 tacos. I've been enjoying my 21010 DCLB for years with no drama.

Super tag

WKR
Can’t go wrong with the Tacoma, I have two trucks, one I use to tow when needed otherwise its the Tacoma for everything, bombproof, for sure the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned, on my 3rd one right now, go anywhere take abuse vehicle and for the money can’t beat it

tony

WKR
Not sure if this was responding to my post or a different one, but there are 2 different spring issues, the squeak, and the breaking. I never worried about the squeak that much, although there was a bulletin on it. However, I actually broke 4 leaf springs, my wife broke 3, and we don't do anything that isnt considered pretty normal in a state with a lot of dirt roads. It's a normal-enough issue that the local spring and chassis company keeps tacoma leaf springs in stock. It wouldnt keep me from owning one, but it was kind of annoying and good to keep in mind in case it happens you know to look for it. I think I paid $180 or so installed the last time, which would have been 2016 or 2017.
Yeah, mine didn't break thankfully, I had that damned squeak that wore on me pretty quick.

K98

FNG
I own an 05 double cab TRD OFF-ROAD with 133xxx miles. I got it 3 or 4yrs ago with 87xxx on it. My motor is sound, still has lots of power for a v6. Sometimes I'll get a bump in shifting though (automatic ). Hope this helps, I'm not a mechanic.
*edit...
Also got a new frame courtesy of a recall on these year models that were sold in cold climate areas where roads were salted