General advice/tips Utah central mtns manti/San Rafael archery

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
Me and a buddy drew a archery mule deer tag in central mountains manti/San Rafael. I’m from GA so the extent of my scouting will be online. Does anyone have any advice for this unit? Not looking for a giant Muley just trying to get my buddy his first archery buck and maybe a shot at seeing some decent deer. Thanks

I was there in 2015 and there were huge herds of sheep in some areas. Seemed like more sheep=less deer in any given area.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I was there in 2015 and there were huge herds of sheep in some areas. Seemed like more sheep=less deer in any given area.
If you look online you can find GIS maps that show the different grazing allotments or you can call the local BLM and FS offices. Sheep eat the grass down to bare ground while cattle don’t. I’d avoid the sheep allotments.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
I would stress too much about looking up grazing allotments. During the archery hunt the majority of the deer will be high on the mountain. The deer will be fairly equally distributed from the north end to the south end along skyline drive. Hunt from the top down in the aspen, pine and oak brush canyons. If you are seeing a bunch of sheep and not many deer, you can be hunting in a new spot in 30 minutes. Stay mobile and keep trying new spots until you get in the deer. It should be a fun hunt.