General Purpose Hunting Boots

I know I might be looking for a unicorn here, but I'm curious if anyone has any good boot recommendations that work adequately well in a large range of conditions. Currently my daily drivers are either cowboy boots or combat boots, both of which serve a purpose but neither of which are great hunting boots. Furthermore, the next few seasons will see me splitting my hunting time between Alabama and North Dakota and across the full range of waterfowl, upland, and big and small game hunting. As such, I think I want a pair of durable, uninsulated, truly waterproof boots that I can chase squirrels in Alabama with and then hunt deer and pheasants in North Dakota with over the holidays. More specifically, I've looked at the Danner Alsea, Lowa Renegade, and Crispi Idaho/Wyoming boots. Does anyone have any experience with these boots or have any other/better recommendations?

Baxter05

FNG
Not sure there is a “truly waterproof” leather boot, that being said Danner is an affordable option to get into, tho not the quality of the higher end boots

Following this thread because I bought a pair of UA noorvik boots in 2017 (they're great ime) and with my hunting/hiking calendar filling up more I'm not looking forward to having to pick out a replacement when I use em up.

OP
N
Not sure there is a “truly waterproof” leather boot, that being said Danner is an affordable option to get into, tho not the quality of the higher end boots
The affordability of the Danners is really what led me to them, but naturally durability was a concern. What would be a reasonable expectation for the lifespan of Danner boots? I understand that completely depends on amount of use but for someone who plans to mostly weekend hunt them in moderate terrain, would it be unreasonable to expect 2-3 years from them?

Baxter05

FNG
From the amount of use and type of terrain your describing I would say you could probably easily expect 2-3 years from my experience with danners, as long as you properly care for them. Keep them oiled and dont put them away for the year caked in mud

toehead

FNG
I just bought a pair of Danner Trail shoes to replace my Solomon Trail shoes. Both are great GTX (waterproof) trail/hiking shoes. I understand you're looking for hunting boots and would recommend you check to see what they have to offer.

WCB

WKR
I use Crispi Wyomings for everything from early season archery in ND, grouse, pheasant, Sept/oct/novemeber hunts out west including mule deer, elk, antelope, spring bear. I literally use them 99% of the time. If Im not walking a bunch and it is muddy or wet (waterfowl) I wear muck boots.

They are NOT water proof just like basically any other hunting boot...they are highly water resistant. throw a good pair of gators on them and it helps a bunch. I am on my second pair and would say I hunt more than most people and am on my 3rd year of my second pair. Zero complaints.

I know I might be looking for a unicorn here, but I'm curious if anyone has any good boot recommendations that work adequately well in a large range of conditions. Currently my daily drivers are either cowboy boots or combat boots, both of which serve a purpose but neither of which are great hunting boots. Furthermore, the next few seasons will see me splitting my hunting time between Alabama and North Dakota and across the full range of waterfowl, upland, and big and small game hunting. As such, I think I want a pair of durable, uninsulated, truly waterproof boots that I can chase squirrels in Alabama with and then hunt deer and pheasants in North Dakota with over the holidays. More specifically, I've looked at the Danner Alsea, Lowa Renegade, and Crispi Idaho/Wyoming boots. Does anyone have any experience with these boots or have any other/better recommendations?
I would add zamberlan to your list

I have the Kenetrek hardscrabbler and really like them. They held up great in the backcountry last season and aren't too ugly to wear around town too. They kept my feet dry crossing creeks paired with some kuiu gaters.

JohnnyB

WKR
Been using Crispi Idaho’s for a while from early season to late season with several trips in snow. Have not had wet socks except when not wearing gaiters in tall wet grass. Water wicks down the pants and soaks the socks.

Brunson84

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at some of these Midwest hunting boots for a while and want a pair, my issue is trying to find a happy medium between comfortable hiking/hunting boot vs snake boot, it’s a must in SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N
I really appreciate all the replies from everybody. I think I'll end up going with the Danners because the budget is a little tight right now, but a pair of Crispi boots will probably end up in the closet before long.

TJ M

FNG
I have hunted in different Danners over the years, and I've always been happy. I would also recommend an American boot manufacturer named Thorogood, as well. I'm a framing carpenter and I stumbled across these boots a few years back and they are like slippers for my feet. I wear them 8+ hours every workday, from 100 degree plus conditions in the summer, to snow and subzero temps in the winter. Could not be happier. I am switching to a pair of Thorogood boots (non safety toe) before my next big game hunt. You could probably try them on at a workwear store!

Mosby

WKR
You can make just about any boot work if you have too. A pair of LL Bean boots would work in both Alabama and ND and would be relatively water proof.

I really like my Irish setter elk trackers. They did take awhile to break in which for me means that they will perform well. All leather for durability, 10" height, and resoleable. Though not "light," I trade weight for durability and stiffness.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

dkell

FNG
Northern-Nomad,

I do most of my hunting in MN & ND very similar to what you do. I ended up going with Danner Sharptails. I am very anal about keeping up with conditioning and waterproofing and so far they have served me really well. I tend to wear gaiters quite often and they have kept my boots in excellent condition as well as helping with water. I have no problem walking through light water with them. I will say that I am primarily using them for upland (turkey, pheasant, and grouse). I am going into my third season with them and have put a good amount of miles. Some people have experienced a pinch point with them at the top of the ankle. However, that has not been my experience. I have had one instance where I did get blisters on the back of my heels but that was probably due to me forgetting my liner socks. They are an affordable option and may be what you are looking for. Hope this helps.