General Season Idaho Buck

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Journeyman,

He scored 196 1/8.

When I saw him in August, full velvet, I was thinking 200-205”. But once I taped him out he just didn’t have the mass or eye guards to get there. 35 inches of mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome man! Thanks for sharing the score. I was thinking 190-195. Couldn’t tell if his eyeguards were long enough to get the extra mass measurements or not.

Just a beautiful buck though man and it’s super helpful that you posted the before and after photos. I’m getting better at judging but am normally only able to get to within 10 inches or so. I’ve yet to see a deer on the hoof as big as yours so your pictures are extremely helpful to study.

Thanks again and great work!

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Hey all,

So I received the Cememtum lab results back on the age of my buck. Unfortunately, I may have cut off some roots of the teeth so the lab couldn’t provide an “A” rating. The “B” rating I received gave me a likely expected age range.

Guess what, he was 2-3 years old!!!

I’m going to lean towards 3 years old as I had him officially measured at 196 4/8 gross, and net 189 3/8. Just short of book. He did not have a big body and was leggy with a younger looking face and intact ears...so his body didn’t give any indications of an older buck.

He’s a big buck, but would you consider him a mature buck?

If he was 3, I guess I would lean towards no, he was not mature. I’d be interested to see what others think?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey all,

So I received the Cememtum lab results back on the age of my buck. Unfortunately, I may have cut off some roots of the teeth so the lab couldn’t provide an “A” rating. The “B” rating I received gave me a likely expected age range.

I’m going to lean towards 3 years old as I had him officially measured at 196 4/8 gross, and net 189 3/8. Just short of book. He did not have a big body and was leggy with a younger looking face and intact ears...so his body didn’t give any indications of an older buck.

If he was 3, I guess I would lean towards no, he was not mature. I’d be interested to see what others think?

Would you had passed him if you known he was 3?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Hey all,

I would say he was young, definitely at least a year from what some consider mature. Fantastic genes and nutrition. Incredible buck!

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
I would say he was young, definitely at least a year from what some consider mature. Fantastic genes and nutrition. Incredible buck!

I think you’re right.

There are some areas I’ve hunted where I think you have a better chance at shooting a 7 yr old two pt than a 180 buck. Then every now and then that same area will produce freak giant.

Last edited:

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
This story makes a guy feel good , they’re still out there , just have to grind it out , great job man , smoker buck

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
3 years old and 189 net. A genetic wonder boy. Hope he had a chance to spread some of those genes around. Hard to pass on him, though. Maybe see a buck like that once in a season. Congratulations!

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I remember reading a study that basically said, by three years old, big deer have expressed most of their potential frame wise.

From then on additional growth is mostly mass and extras.

I couldn't find the study, but here's an interesting article on antler growth.

Lots of big young deer get killed because we equate antler size with age, and a fair amount of 5+ year old 140 to 150 class four points get passed so they can "grow up" when in reality that's all they will ever be.

Congrats again on an awesome buck, whatever the age he's a giant.