General Warning to all images and maps

Guys,

I don't mean to rehash much that most people already know, but I can't help but question why anyone would post a photo with recognizable mountains in the background, images or maps with elevations and areas blacked out, but I can assure you, you're only opening up your hunting areas to people. If you don't care, then post away but you might as well add the unit numbers to your posts. (Don't do that, even easier)

Take it for what it's worth, but there are some pretty mean software packages used daily that can extract features etc, pretty quickly. Also don't forget to turn off geotagging on your new smart phones. Trust me, it doesn't take much at all to find your spot, I can't say that enough........ Trust me!

On a side note, I'm getting to the point that I feel Onxmaps is nothing but a large data capture system.... for whom?

I know what you mean. I have seen grip and grin photos with landscapes in the background. They happened to be the exact match of photos I have personally taken while hunting there myself.

Dirtbag

WKR
Guys,

If you don't care, then post away but you might as well add the unit numbers to your posts. (Don't do that, even easier)
I'll add-Just because you don't care doesn't mean that others that hunt that unit don't. People who grew up hunting that area, or spent a lifetime to find it are probably pretty attached to it and don't deserve the hot spotting online either.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
On a side note, I'm getting to the point that I feel Onxmaps is nothing but a large data capture system.... for whom?

That's a really interesting point. Get a good data guy on it and you could learn a lot about hunting pressure in units, maybe even within units (waypoint mapping and location tracking). Combine that with imagine analysis from facebook/google/instagram/cloud storage and you could learn something about success rates and even game quality. Then sell that info as an add-on in GoHunt...

OP
C
That's a really interesting point. Get a good data guy on it and you could learn a lot about hunting pressure in units, maybe even within units (waypoint mapping and location tracking). Combine that with imagine analysis from facebook/google/instagram/cloud storage and you could learn something about success rates and even game quality. Then sell that info as an add-on in GoHunt...

Bingo! I was closely tied to a company much like Onxmaps that went under, and believe me, there was so much info on file when guys called in for support. Also, I've been saying this for years, imagine if Onx gets a "premium service" going with details on " Suggested hunt areas" or something along those lines........... Where they farming that data?

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Bingo! I was closely tied to a company much like Onxmaps that went under, and believe me, there was so much info on file when guys called in for support. Also, I've been saying this for years, imagine if Onx gets a "premium service" going with details on " Suggested hunt areas" or something along those lines........... Where they farming that data?
Yeah, a person could do a lot with a "hunter activity" heat map overlay...

NateO 77

Lil-Rokslider
This also applies to YouTube. I can't believe how many hunts I have seen that they show roads in and then mountains in the background giving the whole place away to anyone that wants to do a little research.

Rich M

WKR
You'd think that no one ever hunted or actually shot anything before cameras and the internet were invented..
Just that everyone is in hyper protect a spot mode due to increased presdure and the feeling of competition.

Thankfully some nice folks still exist who will give others a hand up from time to time.

slick

WKR
Hey Bozeman, why don’t you post up pics of where you hunt? Ya know just give away those spots, maybe they’ll quit whining then.

There are already apps that allow you to hold your phone up to a mountainous skyline while it identifies the names of the peaks for you. An app that could do the same thing with a photo probably already exists somewhere.

I don't have on-x but that does seem like a gigantic database of hunting related waypoints that probably have titles such as "kill site". Won't lie, If I worked for on-x I might be unscrupulous with some of that info for my own personal gain...😁

Solutions: Disposable cameras, paper maps, and keeping your photos off of the internet. It'll be like the 80's again.

def90

WKR
I don't have on-x but that does seem like a gigantic database of hunting related waypoints that probably have titles such as "kill site". Won't lie, If I worked for on-x I might be unscrupulous with some of that info for my own personal gain...😁

Well, all everyone needs to do is enter a bunch of bogus waypoints and info and any info OnX could possibly collect would be worthless.

bozeman

WKR
It’s public land, I’m happy to be out in the woods with 500 of my closest friends. I don’t care if people know where I hunt, I’ll even post a pic.

View attachment 427073

Don’t think I ran into anybody in that section last trip, might get overrun now. :ROFLMAO:
I know exactly where that’s at……so do 5,000 other people according to the OP. 😉

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I never met a group of people more worried about themselves than hunters, myself included (but I'm getting better).
Why are you here.
Who told you, you could hunt here.
This is my spot
I've hunted here forever. Find another mountain
Then there's the lying about everything hunting related.
Blocking roads or trails.
The list goes on

I get it. People are manipulative users in this country. But damn, everyone i met when solo hunting acted like I was the enemy. Ive even showed them where bulls where on the map. Its not hard to figure out... I just don't get why everyone i met was a self-serving douchebag. God forbid i shoot that barely legal..anything... like your dumbass was going to anyways.

Have all the new hunters been trained to be selfish dbs or what?

grfox92

WKR
I know exactly where that’s at……so do 5,000 other people according to the OP.
Agreee. I can't wrap my head around this whole concept. Not sure where people are recognizing Wilderness, but I could post topo maps and pictures of where I hunt and I would bet my next paycheck that no one would be able to pinpoint where I was.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk