General Warning to all images and maps

slick

WKR
I think some of you are missing the OP’s point.

I politely PM’d somebody the other day and I was able to point lake they were on because of a couple mountain peaks in the background and new the exact bank they were on.

A sea of deadfall and dark timber? Yeah that doesn’t matter. A picture of an easily recognizable mountain peak in the middle the frame?

Some hunts for some people are once in a lifetime, and some of those same hunts people do every year.

I think it’s fair to say it sucks when you see a place you enjoy, and don’t run into many people, posted on the web. It’s even worse when there are YouTube videos showing that stuff.

Also, if any of you work with mapping software- not adding a waypoint in OnX- but actually building maps and utilizing GIS, you’d be surprised what you can come up with. I’ll admit, I enjoy internet sleuthing and attempting to figure out where someone’s pic was taken. Haven’t ever used that as an advantage but damn well know some have

grfox92

WKR
I think some of you are missing the OP’s point.

I politely PM’d somebody the other day and I was able to point lake they were on because of a couple mountain peaks in the background and new the exact bank they were on.

A sea of deadfall and dark timber? Yeah that doesn’t matter. A picture of an easily recognizable mountain peak in the middle the frame?

Some hunts for some people are once in a lifetime, and some of those same hunts people do every year.

I think it’s fair to say it sucks when you see a place you enjoy, and don’t run into many people, posted on the web. It’s even worse when there are YouTube videos showing that stuff.

Also, if any of you work with mapping software- not adding a waypoint in OnX- but actually building maps and utilizing GIS, you’d be surprised what you can come up with. I’ll admit, I enjoy internet sleuthing and attempting to figure out where someone’s pic was taken. Haven’t ever used that as an advantage but damn well know some have
I think maybe some of us are just spoiled and can't relate. Where I'm at in Wyoming it is endless peaks, lakes, rock faces, valleys, rivers, creeks, streams ect. ect. ect. There is more wilderness within a 1 hour drive of my house then I would be able to explore in my lifetime. It's essentially endless. There is just no way someone would recognize or be able to do any amount of research to figure out where I'm at, if I posted a picture (which for the most part I haven't)

I've never hunted in places like Colorado and Utah where there are a lot of people and a lot of "prominent" areas that would be easily recognizable. I didn't see a single other archery hunter this year in September, but I did see 8 grizzly bears, which is probably why.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I can see both sides of this, and think OP is just helping flag a perspective some might not even have thought of. As a newer hunter, when I'm watching a hunting show or looking at a pic, I'm trying to learn what patterns and features attracted the animals there (e.g. mix of food sources, elevation, time of season, other habitat elements, etc.). So when I'm scouting for my own areas, I've got another data point on what makes a good spot.

bozeman

WKR
People will do ALOT of things for a ‘grip n grin’ so they can show everybody how ‘hardcore’ they are…. #cominoutheavy

People in truck groups will post a picture... There's always someone who KNOWS EXACTLY where the picture was taken.

They're always at least a couple of states off.

slick

WKR
I think maybe some of us are just spoiled and can't relate. Where I'm at in Wyoming it is endless peaks, lakes, rock faces, valleys, rivers, creeks, streams ect. ect. ect. There is more wilderness within a 1 hour drive of my house then I would be able to explore in my lifetime. It's essentially endless. There is just no way someone would recognize or be able to do any amount of research to figure out where I'm at, if I posted a picture (which for the most part I haven't)

I've never hunted in places like Colorado and Utah where there are a lot of people and a lot of "prominent" areas that would be easily recognizable. I didn't see a single other archery hunter this year in September, but I did see 8 grizzly bears, which is probably why.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
This was in a remote stretch of AK…

People know more than you think they do.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Let’s have some fun and see who can identify this spot. I’ll pm the winner with coordinates, it’s a honey hole for every season :)

Attachments

• 294738E5-0CA1-4213-AEA3-7C45A9D18B31.jpeg
    294738E5-0CA1-4213-AEA3-7C45A9D18B31.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
I just showed this thread to my 8 year old. He said, “but that would take all the fun out of it! The funnest part is scouting ‘cause you get to explore!”

Wisdom beyond years! Best of luck scouting and finding new spots! If I see the entire OnX crew there then I will demand a lifetime membership and sponsor dollars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll add this one in, I have geo-tagging turned off, so I'm curious if someone can ID this spot using embedded info. I need to improve my Opsec if so... Winner gets the best meme I can come up with in 2 minutes.

elk 2.jpg

OP makes an important point though, turn off your Geotagging, and don't use an identifiable mountain as a back drop. I prefer a generic sea of blowdown, or random canyon feature.

bohntr

WKR
Guys,

I don't mean to rehash much that most people already know, but I can't help but question why anyone would post a photo with recognizable mountains in the background, images or maps with elevations and areas blacked out, but I can assure you, you're only opening up your hunting areas to people. If you don't care, then post away but you might as well add the unit numbers to your posts. (Don't do that, even easier)

Take it for what it's worth, but there are some pretty mean software packages used daily that can extract features etc, pretty quickly. Also don't forget to turn off geotagging on your new smart phones. Trust me, it doesn't take much at all to find your spot, I can't say that enough........ Trust me!

On a side note, I'm getting to the point that I feel Onxmaps is nothing but a large data capture system.... for whom?

Thanks, dad! 😁

Brooks

WKR
Well, all everyone needs to do is enter a bunch of bogus waypoints and info and any info OnX could possibly collect would be worthless.
I don’t have a legit honey hole waypoint on onx because after reading their user agreement they own everything you put on your account and I thought the same thing the OP did. My gps has the real deal on it.
Let’s have some fun and see who can identify this spot. I’ll pm the winner with coordinates, it’s a honey hole for every season :)
Is it on onx? If it is, they can tell you where it’s at or anyone else they want to tell.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
I don’t have a legit honey hole waypoint on onx because after reading their user agreement they own everything you put on your account and I thought the same thing the OP did. My gps has the real deal on it.

Is it on onx? If it is, they can tell you where it’s at or anyone else they want to tell.
It’s a golf course in evergreen Colorado