Generator for camper trailer

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a similar champion from Costco and have been very happy with it. It wasn’t quite enough to turn over the a/c consistently when the weather was too hot. I put a quick start capacitor on the a/c and now it runs it no problem. $15 part from Amazon and easy to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to derail this thread too much, can you help with a link to this part on Amazon? I'm fairly handy, have installed solar panels system and inverter in my camper so I'm pretty well set for dry camping. But the ability to run AC would be nice on those really hot days. If I get a generator it'll be a Honda.

sbcff15

Lil-Rokslider
e0c89a3007c82ebdb72fbce5f6f82773.jpg

There’s different ones depending on which unit you have. I found out about this fix on a rv blog. Just google hard start capacitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
a bumper mount was mentioned above.

back in 01 i had a trailer without a genny and i added a reese receiver to the front of my pickup.
i built a pan to install in the receiver that held the 3k honda on the front bumper. worked great.

OP
B
Bumping this back up because I finally made up my mind on the Honda 2200, on Sunday I started looking around online and noticed that supply at various retailers was not there. Now looking at it most places aren’t even listing the 2200 as an available option with out of stock or backordered status. I’m getting the feeling that Honda pulled that model - does anyone know what the deal is there?

I called all of these places!
Home Depot
Sportsmans warehouse
Camping world
The dealership where I bought my trailer
Lazy days RV
And Jax Outdoor

None of them had supply. Amazon is out. The only place I’m seeing is northern tool, but it’s out of stock. Maybe the corona virus has everyone in pandemonium and I am just out of the loop?

Voyageur

WKR
There was a recall on those. Had something to do with a potential fire hazard. According to what I've read they will be available again in mid-March. If you do a google search you can get more details.

OP
B
There was a recall on those. Had something to do with a potential fire hazard. According to what I've read they will be available again in mid-March. If you do a google search you can get more details.

Thanks. Yeah I read about the recall, but that was a year ago going back to Feb and March 2019. There was supply everywhere a month ago, they had them at my local Sportsmans, my Home Depot, and a stack of them in camping world when I went in.

None of those retailers I called could tell me what was going on either, which didn’t suprise me... I either got a “not sure when we will get supply,” or “we stopped carrying Honda, but we have these awesome XYZ generators that are even better and less than a Honda!”

Voyageur

WKR
Hmm. That is interesting. The local Running's store had a letter posted near the empty generator shelves saying available again in mid-March. I'm in the same boat as you having just decided to go with the Honda 2200. It will be interesting to see what happens.

2five7

WKR
Just FYI, this Westinghouse cord allows you to use any 2 inverter generators together in parallel, they don't have to be the same brand. I've used it with my Honda 2000, and Champion 2000.

*zap*

WKR
My Honda 2200 inverter generator runs my Rockwell portable table saw ripping 4x4's no problem while running M-18 battery chargers. Small, no gas smell inside my van, starts & runs every time.

Bumping this back up because I finally made up my mind on the Honda 2200, on Sunday I started looking around online and noticed that supply at various retailers was not there. Now looking at it most places aren’t even listing the 2200 as an available option with out of stock or backordered status. I’m getting the feeling that Honda pulled that model - does anyone know what the deal is there?

Home Depot
Sportsmans warehouse
Camping world
Lazy days RV
And Jax Outdoor

None of them had supply. Amazon is out. The only place I’m seeing is northern tool, but it’s out of stock. Maybe the corona virus has everyone in pandemonium and I am just out of the loop?

find a gently used 2000 and get the 2200 to pair later.

Phaseolus

WKR
We have a 2500 generator on our slide in camper. We rarey use it because we have 240 watts of solar on the roof. We live in Colorado like the original poster and don’t need AC although we have it and the 2500 Onan will run it. We just spent a month in Arizona this winter and did not fire up the generator but once when my Wifes decided She needed to blow dry her hair.

I’d go for both but rely on solar for most of your needs. Quiet and camping in Colorado go together.

*zap*

WKR
I have a new in package Honda parallel connector for two Honda inverter generators if anyone needs to get one. PM me.

boom

WKR

Home Depot
Sportsmans warehouse
Camping world
Lazy days RV
And Jax Outdoor

hit the garden supply houses. where they sell Stihl and Husky chainsaws. my local store has a lot of them. i believe there was a shortage from the California blackout frenzy. they were all coming here for a spell. the 2200 is the model to get now. they did not discontinue it.

cyrus799

FNG
The Westinghouse iGen4500 Portable RV Inverter Generator is a top-rated portable generator for RV. One of the primary reasons for this is the ease of use. The generator’s 4500 starting watts and 3,700 running watt capacities are outstanding, as well.

Last edited:
I went the two Honda 2000 unit(one with 30 amp receptacle), and parallel kit. In weather you don't need to run air conditioner, you'll be glad you only have to pack one small, light generator. Honda generators are like much in life, you get what you pay for.
Spot on post..... The Honda suite case generators are in a league of their own IMO

I run a Ferman from Costco
2900w - 3200w peak it runs ac and everything else fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro