Generator for camper trailer

Predator 3500. Fantastic little genny. I've been using it with our truck camper for about two years. I got the larger (3500 vs the smaller 2000?) because I run an AC off of it. You can get these for about $600. The 3500 is a bit heavy to move around, but if you mount it on the truck or camper, its great.

decrooj

FNG
I also run the Honda and wouldn’t change. It’s quiet, light enough to move myself, reliable and plenty to run everything I need. Have never needed a second in series.

danarnold

WKR
honda all day long...single should run your ac unles its super old, it ran mine on a 2004 toyhauler np, i still use it on our rv instead of the onboard gen when I have a trailer so we dont hear it running

I have 2 of the Yamaha 2000s. I can run 1 when not using the AC to charge batteries, etc. One thing to make sure is that you will have enough watts AT ALTITUDE. You will get about a 3.5% decrease for every 1000 feet above sea level. This was why I did not go with a single 3000. Or the nice little 2400 Yamaha. That 2400 is stated to run a 13500 AC unit, but will struggle at anything above sea level.

Secondly, I highly recommend installing a Hard Start solenoid on your AC unit. Really helps the generators run the AC unit.

cnelk

WKR
I found a used Honda 2000 at the pawn shop for $600. Perfect for my little toyhauler setup.
I really like the economizer feature too

E8EC8DB8-7D73-494C-899A-F6D94D16CF0A.jpeg

Wrench

WKR
Speaking of economizer, the 2400ishc has that as an automatic feature. It only accelerates to the needed speed. It will operate at idle while pumping out 1000 watts.

wapitibob

WKR
You guys that haven't seen a Yamaha 2400ishc need to check it out. Honda noise and fuel use but starts the microwave and the ac in one small unit.

I use it on my arctic fox trailer and can't tell if it's running or not.....and its mounted on the trailer.
I

I looked and saw this..

NOTE: The EF2400iSHC will NOT run most Air Conditioner units and does NOT have a 30 amp electrical receptacle. Yamahagenerators.com does not recommend purchasing this model to run your Air Conditioner. Please contact Customer Service to help you find the correct size generator for your needs.

I'm buying one to replace my Honda 2000i and the Onan 2500 propane unit on my Nash. I think I'm going to go with the Harbor Freight 3500.

Alchemy

WKR
I’m in commercial construction and have bought many genny’s over the years. There are a couple good brands, my advice is buy one from the same company that will service them. My local supplier sells Honda and Mi-T-M. Just get one that can be worked on down the road trust me. Once you buy a cheap one, it loses compression or needs a new carb you will have a $700 anchor

ZDR

WKR
I-Power with Yamaha engine from Costco is hard to beat for the price and reliability. Everything included to connect them in parallel.

pirogue

WKR
I went the two Honda 2000 unit(one with 30 amp receptacle), and parallel kit. In weather you don't need to run air conditioner, you'll be glad you only have to pack one small, light generator. Honda generators are like much in life, you get what you pay for.

My choices would be Honda, Yamaha, champion some campers do have slots for built in generators for the Cummins Onans and I think that is the best choice overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I have a harbor freight 7000 watt that I use for power failures at home. Way too heavy for travel. My RV (motorhome) has a 3500 Generac. I bought a Yamaha 2000 for portable and low load needs. First thoughts on the Yamaha. It won't start my Skill 77 saw. It doesn't want to run my Lincoln 110V welder. Haven't tried it on the AC in the RV but doubt it would handle it unless maybe I had that hard start thing. It will run everything else in the RV as well as my pancake air compressor.
I hate generators when camping and do a lot of dry camping. I have 330 watts of solar panels on the roof. four 6V golf cart batteries, 3000w pure sine wave inverter. I can run the microwave, coffee pot, TV etc. without a problem with no noise. The neighbors appreciate it I'm sure. If the batteries are getting low say after some cloudy days, I can drag out the little Yamaha with a cord and let it run a while. I think the best reason for two smaller generators vs one larger would be if one craps out, you still have some power to run things and charge the batteries.

Wrench

WKR
I looked and saw this..

NOTE: The EF2400iSHC will NOT run most Air Conditioner units and does NOT have a 30 amp electrical receptacle. Yamahagenerators.com does not recommend purchasing this model to run your Air Conditioner. Please contact Customer Service to help you find the correct size generator for your needs.

I'm buying one to replace my Honda 2000i and the Onan 2500 propane unit on my Nash. I think I'm going to go with the Harbor Freight 3500.
I have one, my dad has on and my fil have them....and they all work to power our units.

blackdawg

WKR
I have had champion and now 2 Honda’s.,,, Champion worked fine, cheap $399 paid, heavy, bulky. The 2 Honda’s are easy to carry and setup. Easy on fuel and power the toy hauler ac in the extreme heat we get 6 months a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honda, Honda, and Honda. We saved a few bucks and bought the yamaha 2000 on sale it's been to the shop after the 1st year (leaking oil). The 2nd year we camped at 7000 feet the darn thing could not run two 7 cu foot freezer without the freezer kicking out. The 3rd year we elk hunted at 10,000 feet it would not run 1 freezer. So we jetted the yamaha it ran for a half a day and quit. We brought a Honda 2000 for a backup just add gas and start no problems. And the Honda has a fuel pump so you can hook it to a 6 gallon tank and run for 3 days.
I maybe got a bad 1 but well never buy a Yamaha again after running the Honda.

boom

WKR
That Yamaha from costco is the real deal. I have a Honda EU2200 and I seriously think my bosses new Yamaha is quieter. He gives up a bit of power but not much. His only complain is the gas cap gets in the way of the handle.

OP
B
I’m in commercial construction and have bought many genny’s over the years. There are a couple good brands, my advice is buy one from the same company that will service them. My local supplier sells Honda and Mi-T-M. Just get one that can be worked on down the road trust me. Once you buy a cheap one, it loses compression or needs a new carb you will have a $700 anchor

Any places that you would point me to that sell and service them? I’m guessing a place like camping world or any of the RV places sell them and do that stuff?

tdhanses

WKR
Speaking of economizer, the 2400ishc has that as an automatic feature. It only accelerates to the needed speed. It will operate at idle while pumping out 1000 watts.

I think that’s pretty common anymore, my Firman and my buddies Champion have this feature as well.

tdhanses

WKR
I looked and saw this..

That Harbor Freight is well worth looking at, my parents have 2 of their 2000watt units and love them. Also there is a video on YouTube, the HF was quieter then the Honda 2000.