Generator for camper trailer

tdhanses

WKR
Something to think about, I think like everything there are only a few manufactures of generators with brands spec out what they want. I know Firman is one of the largest manufactures in the world just not well known here but I swear they make the Champion line as they are almost identical. Have nationwide service and repair and a great warranty.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Any places that you would point me to that sell and service them? I’m guessing a place like camping world or any of the RV places sell them and do that stuff?

Haha, or any small engine repair shop these are not complex machines.

Alchemy

WKR
Any places that you would point me to that sell and service them? I’m guessing a place like camping world or any of the RV places sell them and do that stuff?

I’m in Oklahoma City, I buy mine from contractor supply and Chappell supply. Find a contractor store that sell light plants, generators, commercial pressure washers, that sort of thing.

rayporter

WKR
personally i have a Honda 3000i. it is great but as you know is heavy.

i have been around one Westinghouse and it was great! they also can be run parallel.

one thing to think about is extended run. the small tanks on the small units only hold a gallon of gas. you can buy extended run kits for all of them that allow you to use a boat tank for them but the Honda is the only one with a fuel pump.

I've been running the pull start version of that champion for 3 years. I only run E-free gas in it. Not a single issue so far. Runs a 13.5 AC no problem. Used it to stay cool in over 100 degree temps more than once no issue. Eco mode does a nice job of throttling the Gen down when the compressor cycles off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Smaller Honda inverter generator is very handy and the larger one is a bit heavy, larger gas tank, much better output and push start. For frequent use on one camper in different temp conditions I would look for a way to put the larger one on a bumper mount and have a gas tank rack next to it....The fuel cap shut off on my small unit is very good as I leave it fueled in my work van and have never smelled any gas in there...I am very happy with the small unit for emergency/occasional use but really would get the larger one if I was relying on it on a somewhat regular basis, I think parallel small units are OK but would be a pia after a while.....one thing with Honda is that if you find a used one in good condition and it starts right up you can purchase it with a good amount of confidence that it will serve you well. Good luck with your decision.

I have one eu2000 and love it. Worth the extra cost to me. I run Mobil 1 in it 10w-30 can find it anywhere. Change the oil before a big hunt and bring a extra qt which I’ve never used it. Air filter is easy to clean and relube. Spark plug can NGK can be found at any auto store.

What ever geni you get, I store mine with a fuel Stabilizer and full with ethanol free fuel. Drain the carb in mine, 2200 you can run it out. Starts in a few pulls the next time I need it.

I would buy the one with a 30amp 2200 and buy a used eu2000 for those occasions you want to run the AC.

my 2000 will run my 13.5 AC in it my 26ft camper. Don’t expect to run anything else.

here is a dealer locator

Any Home Depot carries them.
If your military or retired I believe Home Depot might offer a small discount.

4ester

WKR
Another vote for the Honda’s. Just get one if your not planning on using AC. I’ve had my 2k for almost 10 years and it’s been a great machine.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a fairly long time generator user being my hunt camp is off the grid.

I bought a 10,000 watt genny because I have a 30 watt A/C unit in my RV.

I looked them all over and decided on a Chinese make I paid $500 delivered. Generac was $2800. I figured I could blow 5 of these up and still be ahead of the game. Lol

That was 2011. Today is 2020, though it’s not quite a full 9 years, she runs great. I use straight weight oil, 30 in cold temps 40 in summer 50 slowed her down some.

I was so happy, 2 years in, I bought a second Chinese genny 10k watt for my second camp across from the first camp.

Both have been problem free running. Battery died on the original so I hand pull it and she fires up on first pull. Newer one battery still good.

They come with a handle and wheel set, portability is a breeze.

I am tickled pink for getting lucky twice.

sbcff15

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a similar champion from Costco and have been very happy with it. It wasn’t quite enough to turn over the a/c consistently when the weather was too hot. I put a quick start capacitor on the a/c and now it runs it no problem. $15 part from Amazon and easy to install.

boom

WKR
Thanks, yeah, I’ve just never owned one and am ignorant to a lot of this right now.
my friend loaned me a Honda EU2000 while i searched for one of my own. this was during a blackout in my city that lasted 8 days. he handed it to me and said, "i dont know if it runs, it hasnt been started in 5-6 years".
errr..

i dumped the fuel into a work truck and took it home. fresh fuel, and it started right up, but it ran so rough it was shuffling across my garage floor. (i have a video).

i took the carb off and just started blasting things clean with the only spray solvent i had. Gun Scrubber!. i put it all back together, and VAROOM! it hummed so smoothly. that tiny 2000 ran my fridge, my tankless water heater and my neighbors freezer.

i have since bought my own EU2200 and so did my neighbor. these things are so easy to service.

Rich M

WKR
Honda 2000runs my chest freezer, refrigerator, TV, vcr, lights and window ac during hurricane outages.

I trust my Honda.

Wrench

WKR
OP..i know you are shopping right now..

but as far as fuel cans. the ones the motorcycle and car racer guys use are the best. easy fill, and easy dump into the generator.
You gotta try these.

PhlyanPan

FNG
You can get two of the harbor freight predator models for the price of the Honda and parallel them together. Easier to move than one larger unit and if one gives up the ghost you still have power.