Generators and charging Lithium Ion batteries.

I don’t know a whole lot about electrical current, Kw/amps DC and AC but I am trying to get an Idea of how fast a 30Kw diesel generator would be able to charge a bank of lithium ion batteries. Say maybe 5 lithium batteries at 200 amp hours each from 0 to %100 charge.

I don’t even know if I’m asking this even remotely right. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

packer58

WKR
I'm no electrician but i would think it would depend on the chargers rate of charge (amps). Again, just shooting from the hip but power is power and shouldn't take any longer to charge from the generator or plugged into the wall.

• Banned
OP
Dustin the wind
I'm no electrician but i would think it would depend on the chargers rate of charge (amps). Again, just shooting from the hip but power is power and shouldn't take any longer to charge from the generator or plugged into the wall.

The only problem with that is I know lithium batteries can take advantage of high output sources for a rapid charge where as conventional Lead acid can only access a trickle charge no matter how powerful the charging source.

packer58

WKR
I'm sure there's a few electricians on this site that can help answer your question, i'm just thinking the the charge times of the batteries being charged would solely depend on the charger being used rate of charge and not dependent on the power source for the charger.

Crap......my head hurts now..

• Banned
OP
Dustin the wind
I'm sure there's a few electricians on this site that can help answer your question, i'm just thinking the the charge times of the batteries being charged would solely depend on the charger being used rate of charge and not dependent on the power source for the charger.

Crap......my head hurts now..

Mine started hurting so I made the post. Got to be an electrical engineer in here somewhere....

GotDraw?

WKR
Fast charging Lithium Batteries?!

The fastest charging batteries I know of are made with Lithium Titanate.

Read this:
Lithium Titanate Batteries

Not easy to find and not cheap. But, if you want FAST charging lithium-based batteries, this technology charges multiples faster than other technologies and withstands more charge/ discharge cycles. Extremely safe. Not cheap. My understanding is that you can fully charge some of them in about 10 minutes. Crazy fast.

Best,

JL

• Banned
OP
Dustin the wind
Fast charging Lithium Batteries?!

The fastest charging batteries I know of are made with Lithium Titanate.

Read this:
Lithium Titanate Batteries

Not easy to find and not cheap. But, if you want FAST charging lithium-based batteries, this technology charges multiples faster than other technologies and withstands more charge/ discharge cycles. Extremely safe. Not cheap. My understanding is that you can fully charge some of them in about 10 minutes. Crazy fast.

Best,

JL

Wow those are remarkable. If I only had to run a generator for a matter of minutes to charge it would save a lot on fuel. Seems hard to find pricing on larger cells.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
So, a few things to think about. What cells , exactly, are you trying to charge. What is the charging profile of the charge controller. These two things are the minimum you will need to know to understand the charge time of lithiums.

OP
Dustin the wind
So, a few things to think about. What cells , exactly, are you trying to charge. What is the charging profile of the charge controller. These two things are the minimum you will need to know to understand the charge time of lithiums.

These are the things I am unsure of as I do not have this system setup at all. I guess i’m looking for hypotheticals with industry standard equipment. Curious if it’s even feasible to run an off grid home with just a large diesel gen with how fast certain lithium batteries can be charged

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
If you dont know the cell, or cell type, then you'll be hard pressed to find much info. A proper charge controller than can fast charge cells 'should' be able to temp monitor each cell. Not all do this, so they are less effecient in charging.

Now, I am guessing when you say a bank of 200ah batteries and i'd guss you are looking at something like leaf batteries. Look up the charging specifics on them. That would be a good place to start.