Gentleman! Local, West Coast Central and Eastern Shore Waterfowlers

Mike76

FNG
Gentleman! Local, West Coast Central and Eastern Shore Waterfowlers.
How many of us Waterfowlers out there are concerned, That if we as a waterfowl group do not come together as a whole that we will soon loose our right to shout Sprig (Pin Tail).
I'm looking back as a young kid of 12 and in the pockets of my GrandFather learning all there was about Hunting and shooting Ducks.
The Limits were broad as we could shoot 7 Mallard, 7 Widgeon, 7 Teal, 7 Sprig, 4 redheads, 4 Canvas backs here on the West Coast with some of the other flyways down to a point count process.
I really think that if we see that the counts are way down then of coarse things need to take place to help get our populations back to a healthy number. I agree, as I believe most do, that this is the only logical thing to do by bringing back out populations for a more liberal number to hunt after decreasing bag limits when the forecasts are that numbers are down..
The one thing I do not agree with Dept of Wildlife is that if/when a flyway is having issues that all the flyways are restricted.
Lets take the Sprig (Pin Tail) Here on the Pacific fly way, again! as a young kid the limits were very liberal and we could shoot 7 Sprig of the 7 they could be 7 Bulls (Males) or 7 Hens. That limit started with cutting back on our hens which Even as a young guy that these were our layers that maintained our numbers so i didn't have any issues with that at all. They were, The DFW indicating our numbers were holding steady and all was looking good. The next thing out of the Bag was the Mallard, cutting back also on the Hens from the bag limit, Again That's cool.
As the seasons went on we started seeing Bag limits cut more and more with our Sprig from 7 Bulls, 7 Hens, to 1 sprig period.
I got on the band wagon and could not figure out why such drastic cuts when what we are seeing here on the west coast of Oregon, Not dwindling numbers but huge increases in those numbers. Moving to Oregon when I got out of the Military in 1970 the numbers where great and we regularly shot our limits of Sprig.
In today's world we are not seeing less Sprig, Quite the opposite. The Numbers are fantastic that being whether your hunting over decoys and have 10 flocks of Sprig to every 1 of another species, or Sculling as I do quite a bit and see huge flocks of Sprig I wonder where the declines are.
Checking with the DFW at the State capital to local agencies I hear that with the Mississippi and other flyways being down on numbers we also must be having issues. I have to just shake my head let out what I think ( which at times might not be the best thing to do) then move on..
Over the Years I have seen this with many species from Fowl, Fish, Elk, Deer, That once they TAKE AWAY! we never seem to get it ever back again with whatever promise you might of heard.
This is very Sad for the American Sportsman, Not only because they continue to raise our License, Tags, Stamps, Punch Cards what ever and Give nothing Back. We Donate to Ducks Unlimited, Elk, Deer foundations and you all can answer me back of what they give back to the American Sportsman?
If we do not stick together and write our legislators, DFW,, Congressman, we will see what most of us love gone to the wayside.
I mean this wholeheartedly. This world is slowly getting flushed down the toilet bowl and we sportsman do have a word.
When were sitting home by the fire and our seasons come to an end its time to jump on the computer, the phone whatever and let your words be heard. It once again is sticking together before its all gone.
I know club Hunters, The regular Guy like myself whom hunts outside clubs, a Sculler, and other Scullers, and everyone is talking. So what say you all? I don't mind the Hen Take away in most instances But its coming to 1 of everything and when it happens we will never see it come back. Hunter73 Thank You Gentleman, For letting me speak my piece!!!!
PS! I guess I offended a non Water Fowl Hunter. BUT! It is a fact that We and our Legislation can make a difference. It is a FEDERAL Water Fowl Conservation Group that makes these decisions.
Very Sorry! for the individual writing THE Joe Blow Duck Hunter whom added his comment!

Attachments

• P2260002.JPG
    P2260002.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 3