Genuine question chaps.

541hunter

WKR
Jeans and boots all day every day here, doesn’t matter if it’s 100+ out. I wore shorts once this summer for about an hour (it was 116 outside) got a lot of funny looks.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I wear shorts all the time but I live in Southern California. I know it sucks here.

The bright jacket thing was mad, wasn't it.
Actual lunacy.
... Put on this bright red jacket so we can all see you, then go stand in that field over there.
Now those other chaps are going to short at you, AND you're not allowed to move until you're told you're allowed, and how you're allowed!

- No chance!

I mean, when you got the money, you flaunt it.

Ultimately, it usually leads to your downfall tho.....

Rob5589

WKR
California, so it's shorts all year long. I go to shoes instead of slides in the rain and a hoody when it gets cold.

Btw, I live near Lake Tahoe and I often see skater dudes and sno bums in shorts right up until the snow is 6” deep. Then they change to ski bibs. I’m not kidding.

Nobody here gives a shit what you wear. I wear shorts from May until October unless it’s snowing. Summer before last I went to walk my dogs in late June. Shorts and Tiva sandals. It was cool at my house but I ended up with frost on my toes walking along the west fork of the Carson at about 7k elevation. I just waded in the river a lot until the sun came out. By 9 am it was mid 60’s. Don’t mind cold, but I hate bein’ hot.

Also funnest thread since the matching camo guy.

OP
Anglo-American
My son wears long pants 5x a year- living in the US at school in Indiana and here on the west coast.

Living in SF bay area, I wear shorts 9 mo of the year and if I go to a Giants game or when i need long pants for mosquitos.

Chaps must be out of fashion for gay men, you rarely see them anymore except at rodeos.

Chaps also means, men/lads/blokes/dudes/gentleman/guys, etc.

Rich M

WKR
I'm from England.
It's rarely actually hot in England. It's rarely actually cold either unless the winds up.
One result being you can wear shorts year round. As a school boy I had to wear shorts year round, that was the uniform.

Soooo, Americans:
Blazing hot, seriously hot, uncomfortably hot weather: no one cares, no onewears shorts.
How'eh someone put me out of my misery and please explain this madness to me!?
Why no shorts, ever??
Hello England!

Fun question.

I'm in FL. FL hits 90s in May and pretty much stays there until October.

I wear shorts around the house. Mow the lawn in shorts. Most everything else is in long pants or jeans.

In the boat, light weight long pants and a hooded, long sleeved sun shirt. Absolutely hate a sunburn and trying to avoid skin cancer.
In the woods, never without pants and long sleeves, insect repellant, hat, head net to keep bugs off. Lotsa stuff around here has thorns/spikes/sharp edges.

Have these bugs called chiggers and they leave an itchy bite that'll last a week or so and you gotta put fingernail polish on em. Not sure if the bug is in the skin or not but the fingernail polish helps. Bug spray will keep em off.

OP
Anglo-American
Hello England!

Fun question.

I'm in FL. FL hits 90s in May and pretty much stays there until October.

I wear shorts around the house. Mow the lawn in shorts. Most everything else is in long pants or jeans.

In the boat, light weight long pants and a hooded, long sleeved sun shirt. Absolutely hate a sunburn and trying to avoid skin cancer.
In the woods, never without pants and long sleeves, insect repellant, hat, head net to keep bugs off. Lotsa stuff around here has thorns/spikes/sharp edges.

Have these bugs called chiggers and they leave an itchy bite that'll last a week or so and you gotta put fingernail polish on em. Not sure if the bug is in the skin or not but the fingernail polish helps. Bug spray will keep em off.
The wife is part native from Vermont. Think French Canadian.
I'll tell you like I told her, the way Anglos tan is this;
We start camo white.
Go glow in the dark pink.
Turn bronze.
Peal and start again for the following week.

It's a time honoured tradition and I won't break it for nothing. Not even mosquitos the size of my fist.
I'm big, they're small.
- We don't get chiggers here, so I can't relate.

Chiggers are the SUCK, and they’re so small you cant even see them to wreak your vengeance. We don’t get em here either which is one of the big reasons I live here. We do have Scorpions, black widows, buzzworms, cactus, and skeeters. Still better than chiggers.

Been an excellent year for widows. I killed eight of them in the driveway last night. Hanging off my teardrop trailer. Don’t like them that close to somewhere I sleep on occasion.

z987k

WKR
Pants are actually cooler than shorts if they're the right material and made correctly. Same with long sleeves. I'm in the tropics a good bit and have a handful of white uv protective long sleeve shirts. Much cooler than t-shirts and since I live where I get little UV, my skin badly needs the protection.
Anyone that's ever tried on one of the middle eastern white dresses for men knows they are so much cooler in the sun than shorts and short sleeves. They make a lot of sense.

That said, what I've noticed south of the border doesn't seem to have much to do with temperature and more just simply along the lines of shorts are for children.

There's a reason you can spot a gringo from 10 miles away in their shorts and flip flops.

OP
Anglo-American
Chiggers are the SUCK, and they’re so small you cant even see them to wreak your vengeance. We don’t get em here either which is one of the big reasons I live here. We do have Scorpions, black widows, buzzworms, cactus, and skeeters. Still better than chiggers.

Been an excellent year for widows. I killed eight of them in the driveway last night. Hanging off my teardrop trailer. Don’t like them that close to somewhere I sleep on occasion.
Dude! 😂😂😂

The most deadly things in England:
Adder snake, (never seen one. Ever. ..I saw a grass snake ONCE).
False widow spiders.
Wolf spiders, (biggest spider we have, palm size - but harmless).
Horse fly's... So I'm reaching now but you get it...
Ticks.
Mosquitos.
Down South you might bump into a hornet some years but not every year.

That's it.

Biggest predators?
Fox and badger.

Rich M

WKR
I spent a bunch of time in VT - pretty country!

As for the white-red-peel-repeat, that's many folks around here too. Especially redheads, they glow red and it looks soooo painful. I'm not sure i ever bronzed - red and peel 3 days later, definitely - tan but it's a light tan. No glowing bronze here.

Those wolf spiders are like lightening - see em from time to time but boy can they move. We get these banana spiders (bout size of a soda can bottom) and they set a 3-4 ft diameter web about everywhere in the woods sometimes - walk into one of those and you get the heeby geebies. Bleck!

Sprayed a black widow (pretty hourglass on this one) in the garage yesterday - we have plenty but this one was where I tinker with things and don't feel like getting bit. 9 times outta 10 they are tucked up in a corner or under a lip and you don't see em.

Couple houses back, we had scorpions - the little brown ones. They sting and it feels like you got nailed by a wasp. Hurts bad but you'll probably live.

Plenty of stuff that can kill you down here. Snakes, gators, sharks, spiders, hornets and wasps (if you're allergic), quicksand, lightening, undertow (beach swimming), amoebas (fresh water swimming - they get in your brain, multiply and kill you), wild boars and bears, heck -some of the the mosquitos we have in salt marshes will make you think twice about getting out of a car.

grfox92

WKR
I wear shorts down into the low 60s, high 50s.

Some Americans wear shorts in the dead of winter

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk