Genuine question chaps.

SWOHTR

WKR
It should also be said that shorts and work boots is accepted for working outside, esp in the hot/humid Midwest summers.

OP
Anglo-American
I spent a bunch of time in VT - pretty country!

As for the white-red-peel-repeat, that's many folks around here too. Especially redheads, they glow red and it looks soooo painful. I'm not sure i ever bronzed - red and peel 3 days later, definitely - tan but it's a light tan. No glowing bronze here.

Those wolf spiders are like lightening - see em from time to time but boy can they move. We get these banana spiders (bout size of a soda can bottom) and they set a 3-4 ft diameter web about everywhere in the woods sometimes - walk into one of those and you get the heeby geebies. Bleck!

Sprayed a black widow (pretty hourglass on this one) in the garage yesterday - we have plenty but this one was where I tinker with things and don't feel like getting bit. 9 times outta 10 they are tucked up in a corner or under a lip and you don't see em.

Couple houses back, we had scorpions - the little brown ones. They sting and it feels like you got nailed by a wasp. Hurts bad but you'll probably live.

Plenty of stuff that can kill you down here. Snakes, gators, sharks, spiders, hornets and wasps (if you're allergic), quicksand, lightening, undertow (beach swimming), amoebas (fresh water swimming - they get in your brain, multiply and kill you), wild boars and bears, heck -some of the the mosquitos we have in salt marshes will make you think twice about getting out of a car.
I've got German and Norse mixed in me, so my pink, peel, repeat timescale is longer than my full blood Scotish and Irish cousins.

Aye the wolf spiders do move fast!
During mating season they charge you to.
Dogs often end up trying to eat them. The hairs on their legs is what seems to get the dogs to leave it alone.
You can here the pita pata of their feet on thick carpet to.
They splat easy though.

The cold kills you in the North.
Everything but the cold kills you in warm climates!

The only wired incident I've had was at work.
I had my arm under the floor of a house looking for a water pipe on a bathroom remodel.
Pulled my arm back up and a spider had bitten my wrist and punctured the skin.
In ten minutes it had turned into a large inch wide blister. Twenty minutes it had burst. Next morning it had scabbed over.
Never saw the spider, but false widow is the only native possiblity that I know of.
Fang width apart looked way to big for that though. About half an inch apart.

I wear shorts to bed and lounging around the house after everything is done for the day and I’ve cleaned up and had my shower. It’s long pants all the time for me.

Rich M

WKR
I've got German and Norse mixed in me, so my pink, peel, repeat timescale is longer than my full blood Scotish and Irish cousins.

Aye the wolf spiders do move fast!
During mating season they charge you to.
Dogs often end up trying to eat them. The hairs on their legs is what seems to get the dogs to leave it alone.
You can here the pita pata of their feet on thick carpet to.
They splat easy though.

The cold kills you in the North.
Everything but the cold kills you in warm climates!

The only wired incident I've had was at work.
I had my arm under the floor of a house looking for a water pipe on a bathroom remodel.
Pulled my arm back up and a spider had bitten my wrist and punctured the skin.
In ten minutes it had turned into a large inch wide blister. Twenty minutes it had burst. Next morning it had scabbed over.
Never saw the spider, but false widow is the only native possiblity that I know of.
Fang width apart looked way to big for that though. About half an inch apart.
I've got Irish in there somewhere.

LOL! regarding hearing the spiders walking across the carpet.

We get some odd bites down here - never been bit by a spider that i know of but seen pics of black widow bites and were similar to your description - nasty looking blister pretty much. Another guy I knew got bit and had a quarter-sized hole in his leg. That was gross.

We got these flying ant things - they look like a short legged wasp with no stinger but they bite. Will chew a guy up. Had one get into a roll of a shirt sleeve and proceed to bite me about 15 times - arm swelled up and all that.

What do you guys do for fun in that part of the world?

I wear shorts for the gym and hanging out. If I'm doing anything outdoors- work, hike, hunt, etc, it's pants everytime.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I live next to Vermont in upstate NY
I work outdoors
I HATE heat and humidity. Hate humidity more than the heat though
I wear shorts from when it gets warm (June) until it cools off (September) Only time I wear pants during that time is when I am horseback.
Yes I wear workboots with my shorts
I hate shorts weather
I love hoodies and jeans weather.
Have I mentioned I hate the humidity?

robtattoo

WKR
Lol!
I moved to Southern, middle Tennessee in 2009, directly from the frozen wasteland of North Yorkshire.

In Tennessee, the rule seems to be that it's 'always winter from the waist down' but quite frankly, screw that. I'm in shorts pretty much year round. Hell, I regularly hunt in shorts & a bug suit! The only time I'm guaranteed to be in long pants is when I'm on a horse.

Fitzwho

WKR
I own and wear shorts a lot (Texas). But I work in Jeans and boots on the daily.

I also tend to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts the hotter it is (unless I'm in the pool/lake). Being a ginger, I may have the relief of not having a soul, but sunburn is real.

OP
Anglo-American
I've got Irish in there somewhere.

LOL! regarding hearing the spiders walking across the carpet.

We get some odd bites down here - never been bit by a spider that i know of but seen pics of black widow bites and were similar to your description - nasty looking blister pretty much. Another guy I knew got bit and had a quarter-sized hole in his leg. That was gross.

We got these flying ant things - they look like a short legged wasp with no stinger but they bite. Will chew a guy up. Had one get into a roll of a shirt sleeve and proceed to bite me about 15 times - arm swelled up and all that.

What do you guys do for fun in that part of the world?
I'm glad I didn't see the spider that bit me, like.
The film Arachnophobia only confirmed my view on them...and as much as I play at it I'm not bad! Yer, yer, yerrr!!

Rainbow trout... salmon not that I've ever caught one. Very limited numbers left.
Squirrel, rabbit, hare.
Pheasant, partridge, qual.
Fallow, Red, Roe deers and pig locally or local ish.
It's all very limited, and very expensive though, as you go down the list.

I've just started getting into archery as well although archery hunting isn't legal in G.B.
We're actually trying to move to New England so the wife can be closer to her family but two years in and the short version seems to be the legal emigration process has been well and truly stopped. If and when that'll change we don't know, despite alot of effort to do so.
I'm on here getting chuffed about US and North American hunting and actual wild spaces. Much more in turn with what I like, especially in comparison to the UK.
There is not a single place you can go in this country where you can not see the hand of man on the landscape.
Makes for a sterile experience of life, imo.
Time will tell.

Sherman

WKR
I wear shorts down into the low 60s, high 50s.

Some Americans wear shorts in the dead of winter

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
This would be me. Freezing and above, shorts and flip flops. I’m a California transplant to Colorado. If I get cold I put on a hoodie. I get looks sometimes strolling through the snow packed parking lot into the grocery store, but I also look like a polar bear.

OP
Anglo-American
I own and wear shorts a lot (Texas). But I work in Jeans and boots on the daily.

I also tend to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts the hotter it is (unless I'm in the pool/lake). Being a ginger, I may have the relief of not having a soul, but sunburn is real.
Haha, red heads have a soul it's just it's younger than every other race and/or genetic variation in going.
Smallest in number to, so breed like the scorched earth!! 🔥🔥🔥

Rich M

WKR
I'm glad I didn't see the spider that bit me, like.
The film Arachnophobia only confirmed my view on them...and as much as I play at it I'm not bad! Yer, yer, yerrr!!

Rainbow trout... salmon not that I've ever caught one. Very limited numbers left.
Squirrel, rabbit, hare.
Pheasant, partridge, qual.
Fallow, Red, Roe deers and pig locally or local ish.
It's all very limited, and very expensive though, as you go down the list.

I've just started getting into archery as well although archery hunting isn't legal in G.B.
We're actually trying to move to New England so the wife can be closer to her family but two years in and the short version seems to be the legal emigration process has been well and truly stopped. If and when that'll change we don't know, despite alot of effort to do so.
I'm on here getting chuffed about US and North American hunting and actual wild spaces. Much more in turn with what I like, especially in comparison to the UK.
There is not a single place you can go in this country where you can not see the hand of man on the landscape.
Makes for a sterile experience of life, imo.
Time will tell.
It’s got to be frustrating.

pisses me off that you guys can’t come over but anyone can walk thru Mexico and get in.