Georgia black bear hunting

Jbogg

FNG
I did the same thing, and it worked, but it took a couple of years for me. In the meantime, I killed two mature mountain bucks, so there is that. It will kick your butt. For me, the worst part is getting back on some ridge and trying to get out through a couple of miles of blowdown. I have learned some of that lesson. there is so much land and I just love to explore, plus, when you bear hunt in the mountains you really have to scout and hunt at the same time. So, I tend to wander too much and it really tears me down. This year I will cut that back because the fatigue is cumulative. I about did myself in at Cohutta last year, and I did not recover till after the season.
Professor, I am right there with you. I turn 58 next month and have learned the hard way that I need to be strategic and pace myself. Early bow season in Georgia can mean temperatures in the mid 80s, with 100% humidity, with a 1000 vertical feet of climbing and descending off trail with a weighted pack on your back. I am taking the entire first week of bow season off from work so I hope to be able to invest the time to create an opportunity. I still enjoy the struggle and the suffering.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Professor, I am right there with you. I turn 58 next month and have learned the hard way that I need to be strategic and pace myself. Early bow season in Georgia can mean temperatures in the mid 80s, with 100% humidity, with a 1000 vertical feet of climbing and descending off trail with a weighted pack on your back. I am taking the entire first week of bow season off from work so I hope to be able to invest the time to create an opportunity. I still enjoy the struggle and the suffering.
I have really invested myself in conditioning and building strength. It became very obvious to me 3 years ago that getting into shape was no longer something I could just choose to do. Arthritis and a series of injuries kept derailing my workouts. I finally got past the injuries and was progressing well and then hurt my back, and now I have the "never-ending" covid. But, when I can I will be back at dragging that weighted tire around the yard because if I stop I fear I will never get back again. Having said all that, most hunters I know could not have done what I did. It ALMOST killed me, but I brought a bear and a buck out. So, I guess I am winning.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I think this could be the best year in probably the last three as far as the acorns go. I am finding some really good pockets of white oaks, but they are definitely not everywhere. I am hearing from guys that are seeing white oak acorns at lower elevations, as well as the higher ones, but there seemed to be an elevation band between 2300’ - 2800’ that was hit by that late frost this spring. It’s all just speculation until the season begins. It still comes down to climbing a mountain and looking for fresh piles of scat.
So, 2300 to 2800 feet the crop was destroyed?

HGrodner

FNG
I have really invested myself in conditioning and building strength. It became very obvious to me 3 years ago that getting into shape was no longer something I could just choose to do. Arthritis and a series of injuries kept derailing my workouts. I finally got past the injuries and was progressing well and then hurt my back, and now I have the "never-ending" covid. But, when I can I will be back at dragging that weighted tire around the yard because if I stop I fear I will never get back again. Having said all that, most hunters I know could not have done what I did. It ALMOST killed me, but I brought a bear and a buck out. So, I guess I am winning.
I'm calling you if I kill one!! All my buddies that were supposed to go on the hunt with me have backed out so I will be going solo. I do a lot of stuff alone, so I am pretty excited. Also a little nervous though if I am lucky enough to kill something. Especially something of any size.

I'm calling you if I kill one!! All my buddies that were supposed to go on the hunt with me have backed out so I will be going solo. I do a lot of stuff alone, so I am pretty excited. Also a little nervous though if I am lucky enough to kill something. Especially something of any size.
I’m in North Georgia now, drop a line if you ever need a pack out. I hope to get out a couple times for bears myself.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
If I am up there I will certainly help. Did you get a new pack?

rlmmarine

WKR
If your serious about connecring with a bear in GA id suggest finding someone with dogs. PM me and ill give you so.e leads. They do very well every year

He looks like hes wishing youd put that feeder up a little higher so he didnt have to sit in such an awkward position!
I'm just surprised he hadn't tore that thing to pieces yet... got two smaller bears coming in, too.

Jbogg

FNG
If your serious about connecring with a bear in GA id suggest finding someone with dogs. PM me and ill give you so.e leads. They do very well every year
GA has very limited dog hunting opportunities for bear compared to Tennessee and North Carolina. It’s very possible to connect on bear without the use of hounds in North GA. Just requires a lot of walking and stubbornness.

Jbogg

FNG
So, 2300 to 2800 feet the crop was destroyed?
I don’t know if “destroyed” is the word I would use, but there was a late frost that affected some trees at some elevations. I remember guys reporting that they observed some wilted frost burned new growth at 2600’ last May. It will still come down to lots of walking looking for fresh piles of scat.

If anyone wants to camp at Cassidy Bridge Tuesday - Thursday, I will send you my reservation information. I had to cancel my trip. That's in the Sumter National Forest in SC. I know it is a long shot, but I read this thread so I figured someone else from SC might also.

Last edited:

GAoutdoor

FNG
there is a Georgia based forum called "gon forum". There is a bear sub forum on there with some extremely knowledgeable hunters.

Planning to go 9/14-9/19. If you go after that I would be more than happy to share current info with you.

I am also brand new to bear hunting. Have been thinking about going, was googling and discovered this thread. Thanks for the tip on GON! I'll also take you up on your offer to share info. I plan to go opening weekend of gun season...not ready to get bow range with a bear :)

I am trying to narrow down where to go...WMA or CNF. I am relatively close to Dawson Forest, and there were 14 harvested there last year. My concern is that it will be too crowded with hunters & might be better to continue North to CNF. Does anyone have tips for general areas to hunt in CNF? Will I have a decent chance around Amicalola?