Georgia hunting

Morning everyone, a Marine brother of mine lives in the greater Atlanta area and we were talking about doing a hunt this upcoming year. He’s new to hunting and I have never hunted GA, we’re not looking for trophy deer, just a fun hunt. Any ideas on good places to start? Hogs would be awesome too. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sloth

FNG
If you want hogs I would look at WMAs in middle GA. I will say there’s quite a bit of pressure on the check-in (i.e. bonus hunts)

Fort Benning. I'm not sure if it is still open for hunting or not. It is about 1.5 hours from Atlanta. Was pretty decent when I was there in the early 2000's, lots of hogs.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Morning everyone, a Marine brother of mine lives in the greater Atlanta area and we were talking about doing a hunt this upcoming year. He’s new to hunting and I have never hunted GA, we’re not looking for trophy deer, just a fun hunt. Any ideas on good places to start? Hogs would be awesome too. Thanks guys!

Fort Benning actually has a very good QDM program, that exceeds the state regulations, and has some very good white tail bucks roaming around. I had the opportunity to shoot 5 different bucks this year but none of them were my target (i couldn't move beyond him, he was all I knew this year). I only ever saw him twice and I bungled the shot one of those two times, the other he was out of range. The other 4 decent bucks (2- 4x5, 1- 5x5 and 1- 4x4) were not the same caliber so I let them walk. I did fill 3 doe tags as my consolation prize. There are quite a few very nice bucks taken every year on Benning. There are a lot of pigs but they're wise to the hunting pressure. I've nearly walked on top of them turkey hunting but in the Army's ever-abundant wisdom, they do not allow hog hunting during turkey season. Most of the hogs I see are at night or during the summer when I catch them napping in a swamp...which has the added thrill of dodging moccasins and rattle snakes.

Heath423

Lil-Rokslider
Just following along. Live in TN and have often considered Georgia as an option to extend season.
To the OP and your Marine brother....I appreciate your service to this country.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider

Long Cut

WKR
If you’re looking for a scenic, remote pack-in and camp style of hunt I’d recommend North GA. The mountains offer beautiful views, a ton of National Forest land to pick and choose from.

Deer numbers are low up here, bear and hogs can definitely be had.

Southeast and Southwest GA will offer good Southern Swamp Hunting. Hogs will be readily available no matter where you go. Pretty good deer numbers as well.

Middle Georgia has good deer numbers but hit or miss on hogs. More rolling hills and some smaller swamps than South GA.

OP
rooster440
If you’re looking for a scenic, remote pack-in and camp style of hunt I’d recommend North GA. The mountains offer beautiful views, a ton of National Forest land to pick and choose from.

Southeast and Southwest GA will offer good Southern Swamp Hunting. Hogs will be readily available no matter where you go. Pretty good deer numbers as well.

Middle Georgia has good deer numbers but hit or miss on hogs. More rolling hills and some smaller swamps than South GA.

Thank you!

Horns

FNG

I live in Georgia and would second everything you said except the hog population in middle Georgia. There is an abundant population there

Long Cut

WKR
I live in Georgia and would second everything you said except the hog population in middle Georgia. There is an abundant population there

Around Macon, Warner Robins, Perry then yes... Hogs galore. Move a couple counties North and they’re in pockets. “Middle Georgia” is a large area and thankfully the hog population in my area of West Central GA are spotty.. for now.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend starting to put in for quota hunts and start building points. There are a couple of hunts that I would pay good money to go on that you can do for free. Shoot me a message and I’ll help y’all some.

Horns

FNG
Around Macon, Warner Robins, Perry then yes... Hogs galore. Move a couple counties North and they’re in pockets. “Middle Georgia” is a large area and thankfully the hog population in my area of West Central GA are spotty.. for now.
Pretty much any county with a decent river will have hogs. Some counties more than others. Twiggs county is infested with them

Long Cut

WKR
Pretty much any county with a decent river will have hogs. Some counties more than others. Twiggs county is infested with them

Where I’ve hunted in Fayette, Coweta, Meriwether, Pike and Northern Upson even Troup/Heard county... not much for hogs. Even Clayton and Henry there’s no hogs despite the Flint running through there.

Now you get down into Talbot, Southern Upson, Southern Meriwether and any county south of there... You got hogs.

Thankfully they haven’t made a big push North to us, yet. We’ll see a couple every now and again but they’re few and far between.