Georgia Swamp Bucks

scubaguns

FNG
Let’s talk hunting whitetails in the swamps.

I’m heading to Ft. Stewart near Savannah, GA, and the whole dang place is a big swamp. Never hunted swamps before, anyone have any hot tips?

Do y’all focus primarily on pinch points? What kind of features do you look for? Besides the oaks, what other food sources are they hitting?

I’ll be hunting primarily in September, and maybe a few days in October, so any early season info would be prime.

Thanks all

Shrek

WKR
Bring your thermocell ! Look for oak flats and trails you can walk down without getting all hung up. Does will go through impossible thick stuff but bucks have antlers that hang up. They want cover that they can walk through easily. Open creek bottoms are deer highways through otherwise impenetrable bush. If you can slip down the game trail pretty easily then that’s a good candidate to watch but if there’s vines and branches grabbing at your head then that’s not going to be used much by bucks. Sign rules. Find scrapes. The rut is not nearly as short and pronounced as in the north and west. There will be some rut action from late September through early January.

Shrek

WKR
As for hunting food sources unless you find some white oaks dropping the food sources are usually spread out and don’t concentrate the deer. They brows along on things like gallbarries. It is tough hunting for sure but there’s a lot of deer. If there are any clear cuts they’re deer magnets. Lots of young tender brows available.

FLS

WKR
Go to GON and look for a guy name RC. He kills a dozen or so deer a year on south GA public land with a longbow. He’s an acquaintance and has forgot more about hunting deer and pigs in that area than most will ever know. That time of year find muscadines and persimmons and sit on them and you’ll kill deer.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I look for creek crossings. That time of year, I’d key in on food sources close to bedding areas. Acorns should be dropping, depending on how late in October you’ll be there. Unless they have a different strand of deer, I wouldn’t waste my time looking for rut sign. Rubs from bucks removing velve should be in areas that hold bucks.
Good luck and watch for snakes.

OP
scubaguns

scubaguns

FNG
Awesome information. I had a decent season here at Benning and it sounds like a lot of the strategy is pretty similar, just a lot more snakes and bugs from what I gather.

I’ll look him up for sure.

Thanks for the input, it helps a lot and I’m grateful for all y’alls time!

@scubaguns how did your Ft Stewart experience go? I just got stationed in Beaufort, but came down to Ft Stewart twice now to hunt. Tons of land, and I haven't seen one rub or scrape.