Gerber Reservoir Archery Antelope OR

nphunter

I’m planning on starting to do this archey hunt this year down by Gerber reservoir in SE Oregon. I’m going to burn my points and get out of the point game in OR. I should be able to draw Gerber every year or every other so that’s my plan. It’s dates are great and give me another hunting opportunity each year and my boys will be able to do it as well.

I would love some feedback of advice from anyone who has successful hunted it in the past. Not looking for a big buck, I’d probably shoot a doe opening morning, I’ve never hunted antelope and would love to shoot one with my bow.

Thanks in Advance!
PM’s welcomed!

gonhunting247

Feel free to PM me with questions. I've taken a buck there with my MZ and had opportunity while archery hunting. Should have killed a decent buck on that hunt too, I just missed the shot. My daughter also tagged a nice little buck during the youth hunt.

HuntWyld

It’s a fun hunt. There is a lot of water most years so sitting a water hole isn’t super practical. However that means it’s a spot n stalk game which is a blast but super challenging in the mostly open country. Enough critters tho most days you should have opportunities at a stalk.

JoeDirt

My son drew a youth rifle hunt there this year. Also interested in some info! I did scout a little in the area earlier in the year.

HuntWyld

That is an awesome hunt I drew that when I was 15 and my dad took me. Got a very nice buck.

backcountryshaffer

I hunted this hunt my last year in Oregon, I have to say it's the only hunt I miss from that state. My success came from finding travelways and stalking into those corridors for an intercept. This tactic took me all week to figure it out but then got me 4 shot opportunities in the last 2 days on nice bucks. I actually ended up missing 2 shots at <60yds because of an equipment malfunction. I'd love to get back out there on that hunt again. The folks sitting water that I talked to had little to no encounters, and yes there are a lot of water sources so don't count on that.

JoeDirt

I hunted this hunt my last year in Oregon, I have to say it's the only hunt I miss from that state. My success came from finding travelways and stalking into those corridors for an intercept. This tactic took me all week to figure it out but then got me 4 shot opportunities in the last 2 days on nice bucks. I actually ended up missing 2 shots at <60yds because of an equipment malfunction. I'd love to get back out there on that hunt again. The folks sitting water that I talked to had little to no encounters, and yes there are a lot of water sources so don't count on that.
Ya a local told me to actually focus on the timber side of things too. Good tips thanks!

Not to hijack this thread but figure nphunter might get some info also .....lol

OP
nphunter

nphunter

Ya a local told me to actually focus on the timber side of things too. Good tips thanks!

Not to hijack this thread but figure nphunter might get some info also .....lol
I heard the same about the timber, I'm defiantly looking forward to the hunt. I'll be missing opening weekend and headed down the middle of the week next week. Pretty excited, went to a 3D shoot this weekend and smoked a couple of the antelope targets:)

HuntWyld

I heard the same about the timber, I'm defiantly looking forward to the hunt. I'll be missing opening weekend and headed down the middle of the week next week. Pretty excited, went to a 3D shoot this weekend and smoked a couple of the antelope targets:)
Denman shoot??

JoeDirt

No luck on the youth hunt so far.... Saw one buck hauling ass out of the unit opening morning and that's it.