Gerber Reservoir Archery Antelope OR

nphunter

WKR
I’m planning on starting to do this archey hunt this year down by Gerber reservoir in SE Oregon. I’m going to burn my points and get out of the point game in OR. I should be able to draw Gerber every year or every other so that’s my plan. It’s dates are great and give me another hunting opportunity each year and my boys will be able to do it as well.

I would love some feedback of advice from anyone who has successful hunted it in the past. Not looking for a big buck, I’d probably shoot a doe opening morning, I’ve never hunted antelope and would love to shoot one with my bow.

Thanks in Advance!
PM’s welcomed!

Feel free to PM me with questions. I've taken a buck there with my MZ and had opportunity while archery hunting. Should have killed a decent buck on that hunt too, I just missed the shot. My daughter also tagged a nice little buck during the youth hunt.

HuntWyld

WKR
It’s a fun hunt. There is a lot of water most years so sitting a water hole isn’t super practical. However that means it’s a spot n stalk game which is a blast but super challenging in the mostly open country. Enough critters tho most days you should have opportunities at a stalk.

JoeDirt

WKR
My son drew a youth rifle hunt there this year. Also interested in some info! I did scout a little in the area earlier in the year.

HuntWyld

WKR
That is an awesome hunt I drew that when I was 15 and my dad took me. Got a very nice buck.

I hunted this hunt my last year in Oregon, I have to say it's the only hunt I miss from that state. My success came from finding travelways and stalking into those corridors for an intercept. This tactic took me all week to figure it out but then got me 4 shot opportunities in the last 2 days on nice bucks. I actually ended up missing 2 shots at <60yds because of an equipment malfunction. I'd love to get back out there on that hunt again. The folks sitting water that I talked to had little to no encounters, and yes there are a lot of water sources so don't count on that.

JoeDirt

WKR
I hunted this hunt my last year in Oregon, I have to say it's the only hunt I miss from that state. My success came from finding travelways and stalking into those corridors for an intercept. This tactic took me all week to figure it out but then got me 4 shot opportunities in the last 2 days on nice bucks. I actually ended up missing 2 shots at <60yds because of an equipment malfunction. I'd love to get back out there on that hunt again. The folks sitting water that I talked to had little to no encounters, and yes there are a lot of water sources so don't count on that.

Ya a local told me to actually focus on the timber side of things too. Good tips thanks!

Not to hijack this thread but figure nphunter might get some info also .....lol

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Ya a local told me to actually focus on the timber side of things too. Good tips thanks!

Not to hijack this thread but figure nphunter might get some info also .....lol

I heard the same about the timber, I'm defiantly looking forward to the hunt. I'll be missing opening weekend and headed down the middle of the week next week. Pretty excited, went to a 3D shoot this weekend and smoked a couple of the antelope targets:)

HuntWyld

WKR
I heard the same about the timber, I'm defiantly looking forward to the hunt. I'll be missing opening weekend and headed down the middle of the week next week. Pretty excited, went to a 3D shoot this weekend and smoked a couple of the antelope targets:)

Denman shoot??

JoeDirt

WKR
No luck on the youth hunt so far.... Saw one buck hauling ass out of the unit opening morning and that's it.

HuntWyld

WKR
Tons of people and not a lot of goats on the public areas. There’s a reason it’s an easy draw.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
So gotta ask! How did it go!?
Didn’t see a single buck. Saw one doe and fawn on the private. Was still a fun camping trip with the kids. I would go again and would like to figure it out someday since it can be hunted every other year.

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t see many people at all hunting but also didn’t see any antelope.
Thanks for the update. Trying to come up with my draw strategy for 2021. Definitely not getting myself points rich in Oregon. Already down that path in Utah.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Would not recommend had a extremely tough youth hunt this year there. Hunted 7 days hiking 5+ miles a day and averaged seeing antelope every 3 days. And most of the time they were running or on private. However talking to a local guide he said that the reason it was so bad this year was because of the archery road hunters. So you might have a better chance. pm me for spots I know where they should have been and I could be very helpful. Really rough hunt antelope stayed in the timber the whole time and it was very disappointing.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Bumping this back to the top. I put in for the tag again this fall and should draw again, hopeful to at least find some goats this time around :) Hopefully, someone has been there since or possibly missed the first post has some pointers or intel their willing to share. It was super wet in 2019 and it's supposed to be a drought year this year which it is already starting off that way so that should help locate some animals at least.