German Shorthaired Pointer

OP
atothek

atothek

FNG
I do understand that coming home during the day for a young dog/pup is absolutely necessary. But for an older dog?

vcb

WKR
Vcb , how long have you had your pointers ? Do you think Aaron has been sufficiently warned of the commitment it takes ?
My gsp is 11 yesterday and my vizsla is 6. She rules the roost though...or at least Apollo lets her think so! Apollo is my gsp and bella is my vizsla. Atothek have we scared u yet! Seriously though I have my own construction business so I was able to take my dogs to the job site.....if u are gone 8-5 I would look into a flusher. Just my 2 cents

Shrek

WKR
Vcb is working with them every day where as all my experience is twenty years old with gsp's. There was six of us in the house going to college at the time and there was one of us in the house just about all the time so none of the dogs were alone much. They do shed a good bit as I recall. I can't imagine locking a gsp in a crate all day working out. I think they would develop health and behavior problems and I'm all for crate training normaly. Out back in a kennel where they could move would be better. Taking them to the beach and throwing a dummy for work and bike rides with them running along EVERY DAY is the type of work they really need. If you have an active athletic lifestyle then great. A back yard for it to stay out in during the day would be best . Check with vcb on what type of routine he keeps with his .

OP
atothek

atothek

FNG
Dave and VCB you have succeeded in scaring me! Our house doesn't have a large yard, but we do have a big patio in the back that is fenced off high enough that a gsp couldn't jump out. I would feel bad leaving one in a crate all day. We are very active people and are looking for a dog we can enjoy that lifestyle with. As you said before, they could also train us for our future kids.

Lukem

WKR
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info/advice. 2Rocky, in regards to when I am looking to getting a pup, sometime next year is when I will be ready. Once I move back I have to get settled with a new job etc. I just wanted to start my research now. So how much exercise/training time do these bundles of energy need? Some of you guys are making me a little nervous.
Thanks
Aaron K
Don't let us scare you too much, just know what you're in for. Like Arrowslinger said, you can't wear them out, the exercise you give them trying to wear them out only gets them in better shape.

They're the 4.0 double major in psychology and olfactory sensory while earning All American Honors in Track and Cross Country of the dog University.

They're the 4.0 double major in psychology and olfactory sensory while earning All American Honors in Track and Cross Country of the dog University.

Now that is a perfect description! Ran my shorthair 4 miles last night, mine as well been 4 feet, didn't phase him a bit.

Finally found the recipe to wear my GSP out: took him to a dog day care place, she has 10 acres and let him run for 11 straight hours. He wore out two beagles, a lab, a hound, and two mutts. Poor dude's pads are chaffed from running soo much. He'll sleep for 13 hours and be ready for more tomorrow, and so the cycle begins.

OP
atothek

atothek

FNG
Is 2 hours of intense running/swimming at least 4-5 times a week not enough? Seems like it might not be...

And take'em hunting too....

file_zps96d5d5da.jpg

Lukem

WKR
Is 2 hours of intense running/swimming at least 4-5 times a week not enough? Seems like it might not be...
Think of it as recess as a part of a much needed, structured life and not an attempt to wear him out. 2 hours would be plenty, it's the structure and discipline that the dog really needs.

Shrek

WKR
Think of it as recess as a part of a much needed, structured life and not an attempt to wear him out. 2 hours would be plenty, it's the structure and discipline that the dog really needs.

Bingo ! It's not the dog , it's you . How you address , command and control the dog is the ticket to happiness . If you learn to always lead then a GSP is a great dance partner. If you , through inability or neglect , let your GSP lead there will be trouble.

vcb

WKR
Bingo ! It's not the dog , it's you . How you address , command and control the dog is the ticket to happiness . If you learn to always lead then a GSP is a great dance partner. If you , through inability or neglect , let your GSP lead there will be trouble.
Lukem and daveinjax, exactly!

Don't let all them guys frighten you out of the best family dog and hunting partner.We call flusher up here welfare dogs ,they work when they want to. Just do alot of reading on training your gsp. Always start with the heal command, and then work from there. Sit command is always last easiest command to learn for the dog. Once you have a shorthair you will never get rid them for anything.

Shrek

WKR
Horngobbler , I'm all for a GSP , but you also highlighted the same thing as the rest of of us , training for the owner.

sdr

FNG
Atothek. That fence in your backyard must be something to behold. I have never had a fence that my shorthairs couldn't jump or climb. We had to line our fence with 3 strands of wire angling in like a prison. The neighbors loved it. Now I have Bracco Italianos and they are worse. A 6 or 7 foot yard fence will keep your GSP pup contained for a while but when it gets bigger watch out. Those damn dogs find a way.

Lukem

WKR
Suprisingly, mine respects fences quite well. Our last house it had 3 foot chain link around the frontside and he never jumped it. He would stand on his hind legs looking over it, but never go over, and he stands about 4.5 feet tall standing up. Neighbors always got a kick out of him "standing" guard. Could've gone over easily. In fact he could almost grab squirrels walking on the 7' tall wooden fence that went around the rest of the yard. I did have a large backyard that he ruled, and if there was a way under the fence, he'd find it or if the gate was left open, he'd exploit that in a heartbeat.

OP
atothek

atothek

FNG
The fence at my place is an 8 foot stone wall. Hopefully that can contain a gsp haha. I can see the underlying message of training for the owner. Thats why I am looking for a breeder who will be close enough to where I live so that I cant do my homework prior to getting a new pup.