German wirehaired pointer breeder

slick

WKR
Deadwolf- After diving into this the last few days; these are names that pop up in NAVHDA consistently...

Bone Point- Baker City, OR
Wireswest- Terrebonne, OR
Dual Shot- Haines, OR

Was also recommended to Bachman Bay Kennels. I’ll be traveling through eastern OR soon and have plans to meet with the 3 mentioned above.

One other thing- sounds like 3Devil’s are much more like a DD, but don’t call them that

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Deadwolf- After diving into this the last few days; these are names that pop up in NAVHDA consistently...

Bone Point- Baker City, OR
Wireswest- Terrebonne, OR
Dual Shot- Haines, OR

Was also recommended to Bachman Bay Kennels. I’ll be traveling through eastern OR soon and have plans to meet with the 3 mentioned above.

One other thing- sounds like 3Devil’s are much more like a DD, but don’t call them that

Right on thanks I’ll check them out. When I looked at 3 Devils under the puppies section, it didn’t look like they had updated their website since 2015, I wonder if they are still operating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akrdkill

WKR
TCM GWP HE HAS 2 k-9’s trained in narcotics
Top notch dogs

Wyowires
Wireswest
Three devils kennels
Bone point kennels

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Very active set of Drahthaar guys in Alaska. They have group training sessions and have some very nice dogs. I have one drahthaar and number two coming next winter.

After my exhaustive research (off and on) for the past couple months, finally put a deposit down on a Drahtharr pup. Will be great to have local guys to learn from and I couldnt be more excited!

I only know of Donny Leitzau in AK. I've read the thread, and it seems you've made a breed decision, so no sense arguing that. If you train with Don up there....I can vouch that he hunts the piss out of his dogs. Goes everywhere with them. AK to MT, the Dakotas, Texas and back home to do it all over again.

WKR
After my exhaustive research (off and on) for the past couple months, finally put a deposit down on a Drahtharr pup. Will be great to have local guys to learn from and I couldnt be more excited!

Congrats! As I mentioned earlier, I added #2 yesterday. Time to go to work. Finished up this year's upland season very pleased with my 3 year old drahthaar. Here is pic of little guy from yesterday. And a pic of his dad, who he should look close to. You'll be very happy with your drahthaar.
Y3v2DA.jpg
[/URL]
TESOTJ.jpg
[/URL]
My dogs have come from Vom Heuerhaus in Cheyenne.

Wrench

WKR
I have a Drahthaar from a Washington breeder and my breeder would be middle of the pack, my dog last in the litter.....and she still out hunted 99.99% of "pick of the litter" other breeds over the years.

These dogs live to hunt. They're not nearly as loving and friendly as a lab....but man they like to find dead stuff.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I only know of Donny Leitzau in AK. I've read the thread, and it seems you've made a breed decision, so no sense arguing that. If you train with Don up there....I can vouch that he hunts the piss out of his dogs. Goes everywhere with them. AK to MT, the Dakotas, Texas and back home to do it all over again.

Yes I have heard of Don and given his contact info. Plan to get ahold of him when he is back in state!

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
It’s has been quite some time since I started this thread, and search for a new hunting companion and family dog....but he’s finally here! He did awesome on the 7hr drive home, did really good with his first time in a crate last night, and even let me sleep from 11-5 with one get up in between and right back to sleep. Everyone at hone is really excited, and I am looking forward to gattting to know and training with the local NAVHDA folks here in Anchorage. I appreciate all the good info in the thread which eventually led me to the DD dogs. For some reason he liked the center console of the truck for part of the ride yesterday!

8604bf3eb4c3e82d3fbd110069b55308.jpg

e4a5153cd8950b39f00770af3609c434.jpg

Superdoo

WKR
Send me a PM and I will give you name and number of a great breeder in ND, west of Fargo. I have owned GWP's , for over 30 yrs now, best breed I have ever hunted with, bar none. My current pup is 4 1/2, great water dog, tracker, pointer, buddy. This breeder has become a good friend, he is NAVDHA judge, serious bird hunter. Here is my pup I have from him.....
Ha! I was going to give him Jeff’s number too!

BBell83

FNG
If you’re considering a WH Griffon, Phil Wolthuis at North Star Kennels produces some fine pups!

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Update for those interested...absolutely amazed at this dog and breed. The Deustch Drahthaar is extremely intelligent, lots of drive, quick to learn, and eager to work. Mine is 9 mo now and coming along nicely even being trained by a novice like me. Luckily I have help and people willing to train me as well!
445c39d03d9f563a9a72082402af5582.jpg

Update for those interested...absolutely amazed at this dog and breed. The Deustch Drahthaar is extremely intelligent, lots of drive, quick to learn, and eager to work. Mine is 9 mo now and coming along nicely even being trained by a novice like me. Luckily I have help and people willing to train me as well!

Damn fine looking pup!

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I’m one who believes that DDs and GWPs are not the same breed. They’re not interchangeable. What are you looking to do with the dog? DDs tend to be a truly versatile dog, and not specialized in any one aspect. They are fur sharp, which a lot of people don’t have a need for. GWPs have deviated from the German standards. They are breed to be more of an upland dog, for the American foot hunter, while still being versatile. I have a DD and am sold on the German breeding system and it’s strict regulations. Some don’t like it. In my experience I’ve seen a consistently very high drive in DDs. Again some people don’t need that.

You’re advice was spot on, couldn’t be happier! And while I’m still a newbie by a lot of standards, what I see in my pup has me a firm believer in the German breeding system as well!

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider

Gorgeous dog! What breeder did you end up going with? We’ve been thinking about picking one up as soon as we move and have a good size backyard.

What breeder?